Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Good day today
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feign
The Ruiner's a collector...
Commander
Commander

sweden.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Good day today Reply with quote

So I actually put in for a Discover card on Monday night. Got one of those "if you transfer your balance from an existing card to ours and are approved, it's 0% APR for every transfer for life."

Awesome.

I have one account that has been closed for...about three years. That means I've only been chipping away at the balance because I've never had enough free cash to get rid of the thing all together. It was just a touch above $1,600, so I thought, "What the fuck, might as well see if I can get that thing off of my credit report." I also have another credit card and a few other things that the 0% APR would come in handy for, let alone the Cashback Bonus stuff that I could definitely see nothing but a huge benefit for, even if everything were only 1%. The current 5% promotion is for "Health" items like drug stores and pharmacies, dentist stuff, you know, "health" stuff.

Anyway, I had a thick and mysterious envelope in the mail today. Took my sweet time getting to it too.

Opened it and holy shit...

Not only is my closed account in the process of being transferred over, but I'll still have an absolute metric fuckload of credit left. I see a light at the end of the tunnel! I could go buy a car with this kind of credit! I've never had this much money available to me at one time.

The pitfall is that I all know I could positively ruin myself with this...self control...been in that spot before.

They probly aren't that worried about selling the PS2 kits in particular, and know that unless there is footage of them grinding up babies for use in the PS3 they'll always sell a hojillion of whatever the fuck they make. - Hitscan on the PS3

(on smoking...) Two later in the night because I can't seem to take a shit without needing the nicotine to relax my ass muscles or some such deal. So took a shit too. - Oscarwilde on smoking

Yea and he said unto the masses "Jet behaveth as ass" and so it was. - Hitscan on Exchange

OSY Image Uploader - Use it, you bitches!
kingpinmc
Dark Stalker
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever you do stay away from the silver card with the silver magnetic strip. It sucks monkey balls harder than Thundar. Half the dang time ppl have to key the numbers in.
"Then I saw little Tiffany. I'm thinkin', you know, eight year old white girl, middle of the ghetto, bunch of monsters, this time of night with quantum physics books? She's about to start some shit, Zed.” - J - Men in Black

So.....

Maxi Does Dallas?

Twisted Evil - Mord
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creditcards are the debil. You heard it here first. They want like 2% of every purchase I make, so I don't have one.

Cash is the only way to pay.

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand credit cards. Why spend money you don't have? And then have to pay it back so you still don't have it, only more so?
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My theory: it's a legal con for banks.

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am what the Credit Card industry refers to as a deadbeat. Thats right... I have a zero balance on all credit cards in the possession of me and my wife Very Happy
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why have one in the first place? Don't you have, like, to pay a yearly fee to have them?

- FondueDaredevil

- Gabe Newell
Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't pay fees for Credit Cards. Neither of my cards charge a fee (Capital One and Discover) and my wife's Capital One card tried that once after we kept a zero balance on it for over 6 months. One phone call was all it took to straighten that out. That reminds me.... we need to cancel that stupid card before they try that again.

I look at Credit Cards as a "just in case" fallback. Like when I bought my new laptop in August, I used a Credit Card to pay for it. I floated the balance and made small payments for a few months and once I acquired the money - I paid off the entire balance. Sometimes you don't have enough money in the bank to cover all your wants and needs.
Feign
The Ruiner's a collector...
Commander
Commander

sweden.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riso wrote:
So why have one in the first place? Don't you have, like, to pay a yearly fee to have them?

I've never had to pay a yearly fee for the three cards I've had.

And just because I have so much available credit doesn't mean I'm going to rush and max the thing out, this card is strictly a tool so I don't lose out on so much damned money because of fucking ridiculous interest rates on my other accounts. When I say ridiculous I'm not kidding...

~17% on my "real" Mastercard (not debit, of course)
~26% on the "home improvement" store card
~36% on my Dell (yes, 36fuckingpercent)

As you can clearly see, this 0% APR for life on all transfers is a really, really good deal for me.

They probly aren't that worried about selling the PS2 kits in particular, and know that unless there is footage of them grinding up babies for use in the PS3 they'll always sell a hojillion of whatever the fuck they make. - Hitscan on the PS3

(on smoking...) Two later in the night because I can't seem to take a shit without needing the nicotine to relax my ass muscles or some such deal. So took a shit too. - Oscarwilde on smoking

Yea and he said unto the masses "Jet behaveth as ass" and so it was. - Hitscan on Exchange

OSY Image Uploader - Use it, you bitches!
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick search on the local VISA page told me that's 20/year if you take the one without insurance and 54 with. That's the cheap one.
I'd tell you teh exact interest, but I couldn't be arsed to navigate that horrible piece of shit they call a website. You can't find a thing!

- FondueDaredevil

- Gabe Newell
lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know VISA is a recursive acronym, like GNU? It's VISA International Shareholders Association.
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I do.

- FondueDaredevil

- Gabe Newell
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I do.

- FondueDaredevil

- Gabe Newell
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lots of cards. Don't pay a fee on any of them. I use my American Express airmiles card for the bulk of my purchases, but don't care my balance from month to month. This allows me to accumulate airmiles, which my wife spends on merchandise. We don't typically use them for flights.

I also have a card I use explicitly for online and telephone transactions. I feel I can control the damage better if I got compromised if I've only been using one card.

And my personal line of credit, where I carry the bulk of my debt for home renovations and major purchases, is actually interfaced through a VISA card. So I get all the benfits of using a VISA (there are some, you know, especially the "Win What You Buy" lottery Wink ) with the low interest rate of a line of credit. In addition, (in Canada anyway) its possible to use the interest paid on a line of credit as a tax write-off if you claim to be using it for investing. IMO even if you aren't strictly investing with it, might as well write it off. The worst that can happen is you get auditted and have to pay some extra tax.

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But with the same logic you can just stop paying taxes, because the worst thing that happens is that you have to pay plus some extra.

- FondueDaredevil

- Gabe Newell
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riso wrote:
But with the same logic you can just stop paying taxes, because the worst thing that happens is that you have to pay plus some extra.
You're correct. And in fact that's what happens. Why else do you think the government allows you to easily file for previous year's tax returns any time you want? Keep in mind that I'm speaking only for Canada, and it might apply to the US although the IRS has quite the rep for making people's lives difficult, deserved or not. If I really really wanted to, I could tell my employer that I will take care of my own taxes thankyouverymuch and they will stop doing it at payday. But to me the convenience is worth any interest I'd make investing the money in the meantime, and the risk in possibly spending it.

I've been "reviewed" by the Canadian tax organization several times, and each time it was just "this is wrong, please refile this part". In a few cases I had to pay some back, and in one memorable case it actually resulted in my getting more back.

HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
Riso wrote:
You're correct. And in fact that's what happens. Why else do you think the government allows you to easily file for previous year's tax returns any time you want? Keep in mind that I'm speaking only for Canada, and it might apply to the US although the IRS has quite the rep for making people's lives difficult, deserved or not. If I really really wanted to, I could tell my employer that I will take care of my own taxes thankyouverymuch and they will stop doing it at payday. But to me the convenience is worth any interest I'd make investing the money in the meantime, and the risk in possibly spending it.

I've been "reviewed" by the Canadian tax organization several times, and each time it was just "this is wrong, please refile this part". In a few cases I had to pay some back, and in one memorable case it actually resulted in my getting more back.

I think the IRS would shit their collective pants if it were suggested that people pay their taxes later rather than sooner.

Also, on the subject of correcting filings, the IRS will do many corrections themselves. I've had 2 different years corrected, once when I filed my own incorrectly (did it by hand, fuck all of that.) and once when a fucking CPA did it wrong! Both times I got back like 3 times what I expected. So you know, that goodness they actually check sometimes, but try not to fuck it up. D'oh!

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think the IRS would shit their collective pants if it were suggested that people pay their taxes later rather than sooner.

Nonetheless, in Canada its a rather painless effort to file for previous years. I think you have to do it the paper way though, can't efile. I don't see why the states would make it hard to file for previous years taxes either. At the end of the day, its about them getting their money.

In Canada, the gov't doesn't care if you pay your taxes througout the year or at the deadline. Just as long as you do.

I normally file my own taxes. This doesn't mean I'm an expert, but for myself and my wife it usually only costs about $20-25 bucks.

HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
Quote:

Nonetheless, in Canada its a rather painless effort to file for previous years. I think you have to do it the paper way though, can't efile. I don't see why the states would make it hard to file for previous years taxes either. At the end of the day, its about them getting their money.

In Canada, the gov't doesn't care if you pay your taxes througout the year or at the deadline. Just as long as you do.

I normally file my own taxes. This doesn't mean I'm an expert, but for myself and my wife it usually only costs about $20-25 bucks.

Here I believe it's like a game. "For How Can We Bilk These Fuckers" is the title. See, since they don't want to tax the rich too much, there are lots and lots of rules. Paying only what you owe and nothing more is like playing DDR blindfolded. "Look at page F-14, table 12 and write down the number next to the adjusted gross income of your dog, but only if you're filling this form out on a Tuesday."

You know it's bad when the IRS had to run to Congress and scream "HELP! They want to KNOW things!" and got an exception in the freedom of (some) information act. It really shouldn't be a big secret how the gov't decides how much to take from you.

Anyway, not much of that was really relevent to the discussion, but I occasionally get sidetracked. Very Happy

(About filing by hand: I'm sure I could do it if I cared to, since I only messed up one thing the last time, but since there are nice and simple tax programs I can't help myself. We bought TurboTax just last night. Wink )

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you HAVE a Freedom of Information Act.
Here we have what we call the "Amtsgeheimnis". It means official secret or something. Now, all of the bureacracy hides behind it. So we get exactly zero help, zero answers and 100 percent pain.

- FondueDaredevil

- Gabe Newell
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing about taxing the rich.

Reduce the taxes, do you really help the poor? In Canada, you don't even pay income tax unless you make a certain amount of money, something like $13000 a year. So if you're really poor, tax cuts ain't gonna help you.

So what's wrong with reducing taxes for the rich? Maybe it improves their bottom line. Maybe they can sell products for less. Maybe they can hire some more people. Tax them more, and they'll just find more ways around it. Dumping money into dummy companies, or spending money on unnecessary "exploration".

Yeah funny thing.

Incidentally, we've all forgotten the advantage to not carrying cash around. I consider cash in my pocket as cash already spent. I just don't know yet what I've bought. I suppose if I carried a gun the same logic would dictate that all my bullets would already have names on them......Satan grin

Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you don't pay taxes if you make less than 10000€.

And then the progessive tax system takes over. I don't understand it really, for the calculation is the fucked.
The political elite* claims the progressive tx to be the end of all things because the rich pay more.

Of course, it's not true. A recent study showed that due to the amount of loop holes in the tax law it is just about as effective as a flat tax.

*aka fucking morons

- FondueDaredevil

- Gabe Newell
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So what's wrong with reducing taxes for the rich? Maybe it improves their bottom line. Maybe they can sell products for less. Maybe they can hire some more people.

This is all very good in theory, but in practice it rarely works out that way. One thing that does go up when rich people's taxes are reduced is luxury spending, so if you're in the Giant Sailboat industry, you will probably do well in today's tax climate. But rarely does it translate into hiring more people or selling products for less money.

But excessive taxation does hurt the economy across the board, and yes, rich people will and do find any and all ways to use loopholes to evade taxes, and will do so even more if they are raised. So it's not a simple problem to solve.
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
Quote:

So what's wrong with reducing taxes for the rich? Maybe it improves their bottom line. Maybe they can sell products for less. Maybe they can hire some more people.

This is all very good in theory, but in practice it rarely works out that way. One thing that does go up when rich people's taxes are reduced is luxury spending, so if you're in the Giant Sailboat industry, you will probably do well in today's tax climate. But rarely does it translate into hiring more people or selling products for less money.

But excessive taxation does hurt the economy across the board, and yes, rich people will and do find any and all ways to use loopholes to evade taxes, and will do so even more if they are raised. So it's not a simple problem to solve.

I suppose most of those ideas apply more to corporations, if at all. I'm not at all committal about that post though, longing more for some lazy discussion than out and out debate.

Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This crazy idea I've read a month ago or so:

1) Do away with all Income/Labor taxes
2) Make a VAT of 20-25%
3) Give everyone 1200€ a month
4) Make people spend all of it on excess consumer goods
5) Profit!

- FondueDaredevil

- Gabe Newell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: