Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

'I met an American'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OscarWilde
Unbearable Bliss of Ignorance
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: 'I met an American' Reply with quote

I got to meet an American that is a few steps away from the worse of America. Man was this guy a fucking tool. However I had to be nice as this guy was friend's of the bride and groom.

All the other American friends were cool and fun to hang out with, but this guy was so damn pro-american and blind nationalistic it drove me fucking nuts. And it wasn't like we were saying anything for this guy to say the stuff he'd say.

For example he'd say out of the blue, 'you know if America had been around before America would have invented and invented it better.'

Eh? Okay.

And then he'd say to the bride, 'before you become chinese, lets go out there and be american one last time', to which I asked what that meant and had to try really hard not to beat the shit out of the obese mother fucker. And yes, he was an obese fat fucker.

Just unbelievable. I feel sorry for the foreigners that meet him if he were the first American they would meet because he just gives the worse impression to people. The sad thing is that this guy is actually a really nice guy when he didn't make random pro-america statements. So we'd get along just fine and make jokes. And he was cool when I yelled out to my cali friends, 'we all know california is a state full of sluts!', to which he looks at me and say, 'my family is from california'. I apologised but he was chill and said that there might be some truth to what I say because his family is pretty large and breed like rabbits. Very Happy

Seriously, I make it sound like I have problems with this guy, but I don't. Just irked me with some of these really random asine comments that came out from no where. 'We invent it better if we were there.'

Yeah, nuclear power came from European scientists who had to escape from the war torn European nations and America providing the funds from with the massive financial resources they had.

Money + Resources + Intelligent HUMAN BEINGS == scientific progress

America didn't invent anything as much as no other nation invented anything either. It's individul people that either had some brilliant insight or were just plain tripping out on some drugs and saw that light in the tunnel of blissful darkness.

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This other American guy that I met had travelled all over and he was a lot more interesting to talk too. We talked about the current political state in the US and he said that according to his father the current situation has become so polarized between the two parties.

He think's Kerry will be voted in because a vote for Kerry is actually a vote against Bush and Bush is not very liked at the moment. Ironic as I think Bush will win. So I tried to set up some betting with him as HK is a heavy gambling society and figured he get the full HK treat: 'lets bet on who is going to become president!'

Then I'd yell out, 'you just know Nader is going to win!!!111!!!' To which I get told that he isn't even going to be on the ballet. To which I yell out, 'but but but, the butterfly will make sure he'll get voted for!!111!!!'

Very Happy

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am allowed to make fun of Californians because I studied there, I have a drivers license, and I got a car tax refund because the governator thought that would be a good way to reduce state defecit (sp?) by sending money to non-american residents living overseas.

Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me groans at the idea of that guy embarassing us all...

I really hope Kerry doesn't get it; he simply strikes me as unfit, especially with his history of waffling. (Please note, I do not intend this to be a debate, simply a statement of opinion.)

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to economists (that I trust), if the economy stays at its current levels Bush will win in a landslide.

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry strikes me as unfit as well. But then again, so does Bush. Guess you guys are just up shit creek without a paddle Wink Razz

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how you deal with those type of people OW:

YUO: So dude, there's this guy I think you ought to meet in <INSERT LOCATION OF LOCAL "BAD NEIGHBORHOOD">. He doesn't know much about America and bad mouth's it a lot. Look for the pissed off looking skinny guy with a fu man chu, with bulging pockets shaped like weapons. Did you know it's local custom to greet strange men by smacking them in the face as hard as you can? Wouldn't want them to think you're a homo!

T00L: Cool! I'll teach him to badmouth America! GO JOE!

T00L: Smack! AAAAACHG! *DEAD*

YUO: I don't know where that fat guy is. He said something about sushi or some such shit, and I told him how to get to Japan. Do you think he went?

AUDIENCE: LOL!

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

That's amusing in so many ways. I used to get mail from my friends in the states with HK, Japan written on the envelope. Sometimes I'd call my friends long distance and it would be their mom and they would say, 'oh, are you the friend from Hong Kong, Japan?'

HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
Laughing

That's amusing in so many ways. I used to get mail from my friends in the states with HK, Japan written on the envelope. Sometimes I'd call my friends long distance and it would be their mom and they would say, 'oh, are you the friend from Hong Kong, Japan?'

I've heard americans are some of the worst at geography. It's sick. I couldn't throw down tons of names on a blank map, but I've got a pretty good idea where things are when I hear the name. (Except Georgia. I think the state would come to mind before the chunk of the former USSR. I know where that is too, but if you ask me, I'd likely say "Near Florida" Laughing )

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HitScan wrote:
OscarWilde wrote:
Laughing

I've heard americans are some of the worst at geography. It's sick.
As an american I have to say that it's true and very sick. It's mostly city-folk, though, that suck at it. Here in the midwest in the rural parts ask a farmer where hong kong or singapore is he'll tell you. Hell, he'll tell you the price of wheat in Russia and why factory tomatoes are inferior to organic in a salad or sandwich.

Go into the city and ask any stranger and most won't have a clue where Hong Kong is other than, "Isn't that where they went in Rush Hour 2?"

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FondueDaredevil wrote:
According to economists (that I trust), if the economy stays at its current levels Bush will win in a landslide.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5383782/?GT1=4244

I think you can find links to articles and expert opinion that says one way or the other.

I still think Bush is going to win; but only because Kerry is so weak as a candidate. Also, if Kerry does win, it will only be, because as my friend said, it's a vote against Bush rather a vote for Kerry.

I still say vote for Nader and allow one HK individual (me) to laugh his ass off at you guys. Very Happy

FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
FondueDaredevil wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5383782/?GT1=4244

I think you can find links to articles and expert opinion that says one way or the other.
True, but I don't follow all economists because many have an agenda (ie Krugman).

That said, I can't vote for Kerry/Edwards but might have at least considered Edwards/Kerry.

Supervillains for Linux!
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I wasn't suggesting you had a bias; I meant it's so hard to really predict the outcome because of apparently how polarized the elections are. And why does an HK individual follow such news in the US? Well, because outside of the US, when people follow international news, it means every country including the US. Hence why I know what's going on to an extent in the US as well; that plus I did live there for a while to have more then a passing interest in the nation.

Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

In Cana-d'eh we had all the newspapers predicting a Tory minority government or at best a 50-50 split, right up until election day. Instead we got a Liberal government. Moral of the story: don't trust polls.

"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of false predictions, I would _so_ love to get my hands on a 2004 Calgary Flames Stanley Cup hat.

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMN YOU FOR REMINDING ME!!! Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

Sad
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Socrates
Captain
Captain

blank.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry's not running. At the last minute, Hillary will take over, and she'll run...
s
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I translate Mord's post as meaning JR's preferred hockey team didn't win? Sad

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
Thundar
Insert Custom Title Here
Commodore
Commodore

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, 'fraid not.

MasterOfTheHat wrote:
Well, if you'd quit sacrificing the virgins and screwing the livestock, you wouldn't be in such a predicament!

if you are wondering what smam is, just stick around, it is more a sort of zen than something that a mere definition with mortal words cannot comprehend. You will get the picture of what smam is in short order. It will change your life! -Smamta Clause
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I translate Mord's post as meaning JR's preferred hockey team didn't win?

Well, my preferred hockey team would have been the Canucks, but the Flames beat them in the first round in 7 games.

Last night I had a dream that I personally helped the Canucks win that 7th game instead. I tell you, my life has been a waste, I should have been a professional hockey player.
-- Carl Sagan

Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HitScan wrote:
GO JOE!

...And knowing is half the battle!

Very Happy

Gaah. I don’t tend to bother about slashdot, because quite frankly, the whole _point_ of slashdot is to have this big public wanking session with people getting together and making their own “insightful” comment on any random topic, whether they know anything about it or not. -- Linus Torvalds, 20 Aug 2005

I heard that even small amounts of smam are highly unstable. Like anti-matter, only with polka dots. -- Mord

I don't make up rumors, I just falsify them. -- HitScan

Pentium-M eats G4 alive so quickly that the G4 is still breathing when the P-M shits it out. End of story. -- Hat Monster
Evil Merlin
Yaaawwwnnnn, streeechhhh....
Commodore
Commodore

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm laughing my ass off right now about the whole Kerry/Edwards vs. Bush/Chaney thing currently.

Kerry was ripping Bush about his "vacation" days...

Then with a little research Newsweek found Kerry had only been present for his Senate votes 20% of the time.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones...

Funny as hell...
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Merlin wrote:
I'm laughing my ass off right now about the whole Kerry/Edwards vs. Bush/Chaney thing currently.

Kerry was ripping Bush about his "vacation" days...

Then with a little research Newsweek found Kerry had only been present for his Senate votes 20% of the time.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones...

Funny as hell...

Not being present for senate votes does not mean Kerry was on holiday. He may have been busy on other political affairs.

This isn't exactly logic stuff they use to test too see if you get into MENSA you know. It's fairly basic premise is incomplete and does not lead to a logical conclusion type stuff. Sorta like research that shows during summer there is an increase consumption of ice cream and an increase in number of people that have heart attacks. We can't just jump and say, 'oh noes, ice cream causes heart attacks', equally as we can't say being absent for senate votes means Kerry took holidays.

This is how bias works. We look for numbers and data and then somehow loosely tie them to a pre-desired conclusion.

FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
This is how bias works. We look for numbers and data and then somehow loosely tie them to a pre-desired conclusion.
Nonsense.

"Bias" is people whom don't agree with me.

Supervillains for Linux!
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FondueDaredevil wrote:
OscarWilde wrote:
Nonsense.

"Bias" is people whom don't agree with me.

Yes! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: