Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Brilliant xBox 360 ad.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OscarWilde
Unbearable Bliss of Ignorance
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Brilliant xBox 360 ad. Reply with quote

Link to iFilm for the ad

If I could find you guys a direct link to the ad., I would, but I figured with iFilm you guys have your choice of video codec/player you can use.

Brilliant and funny ad. Why was it banned? I was chuckling as the ad got into action. The car scene was hilarious. Gosh, the FCC needs a fucking sense of humor. None the less, enjoy the ad.

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a bonus, this is a clever ad by Napster.

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
Feign
The Ruiner's a collector...
Commander
Commander

sweden.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that XOBX commercial was great!

To be under 10 again...

They probly aren't that worried about selling the PS2 kits in particular, and know that unless there is footage of them grinding up babies for use in the PS3 they'll always sell a hojillion of whatever the fuck they make. - Hitscan on the PS3

(on smoking...) Two later in the night because I can't seem to take a shit without needing the nicotine to relax my ass muscles or some such deal. So took a shit too. - Oscarwilde on smoking

Yea and he said unto the masses "Jet behaveth as ass" and so it was. - Hitscan on Exchange

OSY Image Uploader - Use it, you bitches!
MasterOfTheHat
Commander
Commander

Location: In a galaxy far, far, far, far, really really far away...

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Friggin, awesome!

And the Napster ad is just... damn...

For my fellow OSYers - You know you're addicted to programming when:"The people you respect most you have never physically seen or spoken to, but you always bow to their knowledge."

*Quantum physics texts are an excellent source of 100% of the recommended daily alowance of "WTF!?!" - HitScan

support.microsoft's cause for a 0x0000007f STOP error:
"• Your computer has hardware or software problems. "
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very short film that proves guys with fast cars need it more then guys with slower cars. Wink

Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit i love that xbox commercial. Anyone got a direct link yet?

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
kingpinmc
Dark Stalker
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
A very short film that proves guys with fast cars need it more then guys with slower cars. Wink

I think this was the best of them all, but that's me.
"Then I saw little Tiffany. I'm thinkin', you know, eight year old white girl, middle of the ghetto, bunch of monsters, this time of night with quantum physics books? She's about to start some shit, Zed.” - J - Men in Black

So.....

Maxi Does Dallas?

Twisted Evil - Mord
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingpinmc wrote:
OscarWilde wrote:

I think this was the best of them all, but that's me.

Well, I haven't watched them all yet, but what kind of zealot would I be if I didn't simply watch one and pass judgement on them all?

Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great commercial. Much better than the stupid jump rope one I've seen around here.
DrPizza
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shooting video seems generally ok, except the guy who took up the good sniping position and fell from his fucking ledge.
,91^c||(v=*p?main(-1,v+1),v-1:main(0,v)),++v);else for(;c+=!(91^*v)-!(93^*v)
;++v);return v;} /*     brainf*** program as argv[1] */

<DigitalFury>please don't use any of my quotes as sigs at osy.</DigitalFury>
DrPizza
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, the napster video got me hard.
,91^c||(v=*p?main(-1,v+1),v-1:main(0,v)),++v);else for(;c+=!(91^*v)-!(93^*v)
;++v);return v;} /*     brainf*** program as argv[1] */

<DigitalFury>please don't use any of my quotes as sigs at osy.</DigitalFury>
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Pizza's unique style of cussing and wanking references... Very Happy

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway,

I've been reading the XBox 360 article on Ars. I didn't really pay much attention to the hype, but now that I'm reading about an actual unit I'm finding it pretty cool.

About the only response I can come up with is, "Yeah, but can you play World of Warcraft on it?" Very Happy

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am interested in the Xbox 360, but I lack the requisite HDTV.

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not interested in any of the next gen consoles myself. My interest in PC gaming as a whole is also beginning to wane (along with everybody else it seems). The reason for this is the same as it has been with me throughout the "decline of gaming" - it's all the same rehashed stuff over and over.

Sure the graphics might be a bit better the next time around - but has anything really changed? Do better graphics make up for the fact that games like Doom and Doom II scared the shit of me while playing and Doom III can barely manage to produce a yelp from me? It's really the same all around no matter what genre. RPGs are essentially the last hope for me at this point because 1) they are the closest thing left to the old school adventure games we used to have and 2) in some rare cases they do actually try to tell a story and every once in awhile you can affect the outcome of that story. Even then franchises like Final Fantasy that continue to pump out the same dilapidated gameplay, static recycled storylines and whatever else threaten that as well.

The real astounding thing to me about gaming in 2005 is how stale and static it all is. How many games do you see like Planescape Tormet, Fallout or even more recently KOTOR (not its successor though) that force the player to actually become part of the world they have created as well as force you to deal with the consequences of your actions? This is part of the reason that playing the the latest and greatest FPS no longer holds any real appeal for me. I want something deeper and more memorable. Pretty much all action games have fallen off my map. Perhaps games like Half-Life 2 could've stopped that from happening but given the technologies like Steam and other over-the-top copy protection mechanisms like Starforce.... my heart just isn't in it anymore.

It's a shitty problem: I love being a gamer but I hate gaming. Thank goodness for my large collection of older titles Very Happy
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The real astounding thing to me about gaming in 2005 is how stale and static it all is. How many games do you see like Planescape Tormet, Fallout or even more recently KOTOR (not its successor though) that force the player to actually become part of the world they have created as well as force you to deal with the consequences of your actions?

It's my opinion that gaming needs better writing in order to achieve the next level of greatness that it truly can achieve. But I'm not sure it's going to happen in the current climate, with current business models dictating lowest common denominator plots and graphics over storylines.

There are always exceptions, like ICO and Beyond Good and Evil, but I think games are ready to go even beyond that, to make players really think about the choices they make and the consequences, to actually stimulate debate about real world issues. I think this is possible, but I'm not going to wait around for someone to do it. I'm going to do some small thing about it myself.

I'll tell you more about it later...
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:

I'll tell you more about it later...

Make a nice article out of it and try and sell it to ars Wink

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
There are always exceptions, like ICO and Beyond Good and Evil, but I think games are ready to go even beyond that, to make players really think about the choices they make and the consequences, to actually stimulate debate about real world issues.

You must play Killer7 and Shadow of the Colossus.

While there are no "choices" in either game, there's moral ambiguity in spades.

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:

What game is 'spades'? I'm assuming you're not talking about the card game, spades?

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow of Colossus looks pretty amazing, and the game play looks intense. The reviews from IGN and Gamespot seem to be glowing with praise about the uniqueness of the game.

I'm going to have to recommend the game to my friend, but knowing him, he's probably already played it.

edit: Killer7 looks like the cliche acid tripping third person shooting game that I think is has become to common. It's like an MTV production where making it as tripped out and unorthodox as possible makes it cool and appealing. While I don't disagree with that, I just personally would not choose it based on the trailers and screenshots. That and I hate games where one has to shoot at zombies. I shall pass the game title to my friend and see what he thinks.

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
the twinkster wrote:

What game is 'spades'? I'm assuming you're not talking about the card game, spades?

It's a figure of speech. "There's X in spades" means there's a lot of X.

OscarWilde wrote:
Killer7 looks like the cliche acid tripping third person shooting game that I think is has become to common.

There are plenty of first and third-person shooters, but I'm not sure about the acid tripping being "cliche." How common is it? I found Killer7 both very unique and uniquely disturbing (without being scary). Yes, the gameplay is very simplistic. Yes, the storyline is a total mindfuck -- but it's a good story and it's actually culturally relevant. Both of the latter things are a rarity in games.

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:

There are plenty of first and third-person shooters, but I'm not sure about the acid tripping being "cliche." How common is it?

That's what I'm trying to remember. I was over at my friend's place and there was this alice in wonderland (NOT American McGee's Alice) type game with eerie levels which reminded me a lot of Killer7. Then there is this comic cell shading type game I've seen too, which was also violent and a bit on the trippy side. Then there is off course the zombie stuff which you get in Resident Evil. Then there is this other japanese game, a japanese movie made out of it too, where it's about some alien I think, eve something or the other which had that whole tentacle stuff. The cartoon cell shading, zombie/tentacle-alien, third person shooter is something I seem to see a lot in japanese games or in arcades. Sorry I can't give specifics. I just know the game looked cliche too me.

But, that is just my 2 cent opinion and 1 cent community college education. Very Happy Although, I just want to make sure you know i'm not objecting or trying to make any arguments here. Just expressed my initial reactions to the screenshots and game trailers. SofC made me go, 'whoa!' as soon as I saw the giants and the environment. So you're one for two in recommending games. That's not bad. Wink Very Happy

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
The cartoon cell shading, zombie/tentacle-alien, third person shooter is something I seem to see a lot in japanese games or in arcades. Sorry I can't give specifics.

Ah, okay. We don't get that sort of thing much over here. Smile Just so you know, though, the shooting in Killer7 happens in first person, and the enemies aren't zombies (they're terrorists). I'm not objecting to your opinion, though. I'm just outlining things that I liked about it -- that doesn't mean anyone else has to be as interested in the game as I was. Smile

Shadow of the Colossus is indeed amazing. It's by the same group who did Ico, so that shouldn't surprise anyone. I also second JRs' recommendation of Beyond Good & Evil, which left me begging for a sequel that I'm sure won't happen.

HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:
Jeremy Reimer wrote:
There are always exceptions, like ICO and Beyond Good and Evil, but I think games are ready to go even beyond that, to make players really think about the choices they make and the consequences, to actually stimulate debate about real world issues.

You must play Killer7 and Shadow of the Colossus.

My brother played through a little less than half of SOTC at my house. I really want to know how that story goes. I'm a bit too lazy to rent it myself though (his was also a rental, I don't believe he beat it either) and besides that, the reason we gave up is that we hit a BASTARD that we couldn't figure out how to hurt in the slightest. :/

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that we need better writing. A good story more than forgives lesser graphics or glitz, as exemplified by Chrono Trigger for the SNES. Smile

The story for Warcraft is also quite good, as several here can attest. Just ask Jeremy about the maintenance of continuity. Smile

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: