Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Welcome to OSY! Posting Guidelines and other goodies inside
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Welcome to OSY! Posting Guidelines and other goodies inside Reply with quote

Hello, friendly net traveller!

Whether you are a longtime member, a lurker, or a newcomer, let me welcome you to the silly world of OSY. We are a small forum but a happy one. Let me explain a few things while you're getting settled in.

The History of OSY

OSY started as an idea I had a long time ago about a place where the complete absurdity of operating system and platform flamewars could be discussed in a relaxed and silly manner. For many years I had flirted with testing the limits of both trollishness and silliness (some would say complete foolishness) on Ars Technica as Lord Baldrick, a self-depricating handle based on the famous Blackadder episode where Baldrick accidentally gets promoted to the House of Lords (which was a big step up from his former job as the guy who cleans out the muck) The Lord Baldrick persona went through many incarnations and eventually emerged as a bemused observer and lover of personal computing historical trivia.

Anyway, I set up my own website, pegasus3d.com and a discussion board, which I called "OSY" because of Apple already taking the name OSX. Very Happy The first discussion board was run on the iKonboard software, which was pretty flakey and tended to lose threads on occasion. All the posts (save for the ones lost in the Tragic Great Pruning) are still available on this website, but the original board is set to read-only. The board went live at 3:06 pm on Feb. 25, 2001. The first subscriber was Robocop Q. Einstein, who tried to register even before I had enabled the auto-registration email system!

This was the original posting guideline announcement I posted a day later:

Quote:

Despite the main focus of OSY, which is a forum for discussion and debate of any and all computer operating systems and platforms, this bulletin board system has two major goals:

1. Everyone should have fun, and

2. Everyone should have the opportunity, perhaps, to learn something new from another poster.

In keeping with these two primary stated goals, there is very little that is off-topic or disallowed in OSY. We will be expected to try and maximize the fun for everyone who comes here, which will mean that although nasty messages and threads about OSY members are allowed, they are not encouraged. They might infringe on someone's fun. Instead, we can make fun of people that really deserve to be made fun of, like the CEOs of major corporations (and minor ones, like Apple... )

We are starting from ground zero and so this is the perfect time for suggestions about what OSY should be like. I enjoy arguing about operating systems but there are a million other topics we can talk about. Nothing is off-topic in OSY.

I am strongly against censorship and so I will probably not be locking or deleting many posts (if any) Instead, I think we should try a new system based on the workable anarchy that is Usenet-- ie, real morons will get the whipping they so richly deserve, and thus will very quickly pass on to somewhere else where the going isn't so tough. Hate speech will not be tolerated, for example, but this doesn't necessarily mean it must be censored. We have to be above things like that-- we have to show that a community can and will work together to support the standards it believes in without resorting to draconian measures.

Still, at the end of the day it is my board and I do get the final word. But I will try to use that power as little as possible.

Welcome to OSY, and have fun, and maybe we can learn something!

Reading this today, I am surprised at how little I would change. The primary purpose of the board is to have fun. I don't like censorship but I don't like a lot of yelling and swearing and being angry. Please treat this place like it was my home (which I feel it is) and you are welcome guests in it. I assume everyone here is an adult and can make their own choices about what behavior is appropriate if they are guests at someones home. Please don't make me challenge this assumption, for anyone.

Today, we are running on the fabulous database-driven PHPBB forum software, known as OSY (2.0) EXTREEEEEME!!! OSY has survived for more than two years now, and I expect it to last many more. I don't advertise the board much any more, so the number of members is fairly small (and active posters, as usual, are smaller still) But this may change in the future. Feel free to invite your friends!

Coming up: the first ever OSY FAQ.
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
AllYorBaseRBelong2Us
Infernal Smam Lord
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Location: Gaurding the toenail clipper bag that holds you all!

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is smam.

Smile
This and other statistics can be culled from Jeremy Reimer's Personal Computer Market Share: 1975-2002, a very impressive piece of information gathering. The numbers tell some very interesting stories.
- http://lowendmac.com/musings/03/0131.html

Man, I need to get out more. You know smam is getting to you when you go to a canadian restaurant and start wondering about moose cock. -OscarWilde Smile
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSY Frequently Asked Questions List

version 0.21b (edited 2/11/2004)

1. What is SMAM?

SMAM is many things. SMAM is changing. SMAM is often Smam, and sometimes smam, but never SmAM. Smam gets you up in the morning. Smam will make you breakfast. Sometimes Smam is your breakfast. Smam is the beginning and the end, smam is the circle and the square, smam stands between the candle and the star, smam will forever smam smam eternal smam the smam smam. Smam.

1a. What kind of answer was THAT?

SMAM.

2. What kind of place is this? Is it a forum for PC lovers? Mac lovers? Linux... um... admirers?

It is all those things and smam. At OSY the official policy is that we encourge people to use as many platforms as possible. There is no magic platform that is superior to all others-- each one has its advantages and disadvantages. Except OS/2. That exists only to be made fun of.

3. But what' s the BEST operating system?

Studly-OS.

4. So what do you run then?

OSY runs on PHPBB bulletin board software running with the help of PHP and MySQL, served up by Apache 2.something and hosted on Windows XP Professional. I personally run XP on my desktop (the very one running OSY right now) and OSX on my laptop (Apple iBook) I'll be putting together a Linux box to run MythTV PVR soon.

5. Do we have to talk about computers and operating systems on OSY?

No. You can talk about ANYTHING. Nothing is off-topic on OSY.

6. Would you PLEASE tell me what smam is?

Smam.
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named

Last edited by Jeremy Reimer on Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllYorBaseRBelong2Us wrote:
This thread is smam.

Smile

Laughing

JR wrote:
smam will forever smam smam eternal smam the smam smam. Smam.

You forgot to add, "Smammity smam, wonderful smam!" in a glorious singing Viking voice. Wink

JR again wrote:
Except OS/2. That exists only to be made fun of.

That deserves, nay requires a double Laughing . Indeed.

Gaah. I don’t tend to bother about slashdot, because quite frankly, the whole _point_ of slashdot is to have this big public wanking session with people getting together and making their own “insightful” comment on any random topic, whether they know anything about it or not. -- Linus Torvalds, 20 Aug 2005

I heard that even small amounts of smam are highly unstable. Like anti-matter, only with polka dots. -- Mord

I don't make up rumors, I just falsify them. -- HitScan

Pentium-M eats G4 alive so quickly that the G4 is still breathing when the P-M shits it out. End of story. -- Hat Monster
AllYorBaseRBelong2Us
Infernal Smam Lord
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AYB approves of this FAQ!!!

Very Happy
This and other statistics can be culled from Jeremy Reimer's Personal Computer Market Share: 1975-2002, a very impressive piece of information gathering. The numbers tell some very interesting stories.

Man, I need to get out more. You know smam is getting to you when you go to a canadian restaurant and start wondering about moose cock. -OscarWilde Smile
Thundar
Insert Custom Title Here
Commodore
Commodore

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm hot buttery smam... Wink

MasterOfTheHat wrote:
Well, if you'd quit sacrificing the virgins and screwing the livestock, you wouldn't be in such a predicament!

if you are wondering what smam is, just stick around, it is more a sort of zen than something that a mere definition with mortal words cannot comprehend. You will get the picture of what smam is in short order. It will change your life! -Smamta Clause
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
AllYorBaseRBelong2Us
Infernal Smam Lord
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smam!

Smile

Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smam?

Gaah. I don’t tend to bother about slashdot, because quite frankly, the whole _point_ of slashdot is to have this big public wanking session with people getting together and making their own “insightful” comment on any random topic, whether they know anything about it or not. -- Linus Torvalds, 20 Aug 2005

I heard that even small amounts of smam are highly unstable. Like anti-matter, only with polka dots. -- Mord

Pentium-M eats G4 alive so quickly that the G4 is still breathing when the P-M shits it out. End of story. -- Hat Monster
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to mention the smam.

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
Thundar
Insert Custom Title Here
Commodore
Commodore

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And baked beans.

MasterOfTheHat wrote:
Well, if you'd quit sacrificing the virgins and screwing the livestock, you wouldn't be in such a predicament!

if you are wondering what smam is, just stick around, it is more a sort of zen than something that a mere definition with mortal words cannot comprehend. You will get the picture of what smam is in short order. It will change your life! -Smamta Clause
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
OSY Frequently Asked Questions List

version 0.1a

6. Would you PLEASE tell me what smam is?

Smam.
Actually, it's an acronym. It stands for; Smam, M'am!

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a recursive acronym. It means Smam May Also Mean Smam.
-- Carl Sagan

HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
It's a recursive acronym. It means Smam May Also Mean Smam.

Great, you just GPL'd the whole damn site. Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Evil Merlin
Yaaawwwnnnn, streeechhhh....
Commodore
Commodore

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smam is GPLed? God help us all.
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smam is protected by the GSL, the General Smam License, which states quite clearly:

"All Smam that is written by smam must remain the property of smam, with no alterations to the Smam license smam, and any derivative smam must also be called smam and smammed into the world with great smam."

- CopySmam(cs) The Smam Software Group (SSG)
-- Carl Sagan

Evil Merlin
Yaaawwwnnnn, streeechhhh....
Commodore
Commodore

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh
Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So could the board be considered smamware?

Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Smamware and Open Smam are the cornerstones of the Smam Software Foundation (SSF) headed by RMS (Richard M. Smamman)
-- Carl Sagan

Last edited by Jeremy Reimer on Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Imitation Gruel
Flames of Destruction
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purloined from another thread, for obvious purposes...

Jeremy Reimer wrote:

Here is the new rank structure:

Civilian - 0 posts
Midshipman - 1 post
Petty officer 2nd class - 50 posts
Petty officer 1st class - 100 posts
Acting sub-lieutenant - 200 posts
Sub-lieutenant - 250 posts
Lieutenant - 300 posts
Lieutenant-commander - 400 posts
Commander - 500 posts
Captain - 1000 posts
Commodore - 3000 posts
Rear-admiral - 5000 posts
Vice-admiral - 7000 posts
Admiral - 10000 posts
1st lord of the Admiralty - me. Smile

"How delightful it would be to converse intimately with someone of the same mind, sharing with him the pleasures of uninhibited conversation on the amusing and foolish things of this world, but such friends are hard to find." -- Kenko Yoshida, Essays In Idleness
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huzzah! I just thought you needed told that you can in fact view this site in Lynx, even it you start at the home page. It doesn't show frames normally, but it does list them as links which can be traversed. Ergo, Hah!

As to the reason I'm using Lynx, I'm updating kde3 on my NetBSD machine and so my main browser, Konqueror, is Kaput. Sad

I also expressed a desire to prove it could be done. Very Happy

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huzzah! It will show up in the pegasus3d.com site statistics, which I might as well mention here since this is the handy-dandy info thread:

https://pegasus3d.com/awstats.pegasus3d.html

Lynx is a very handy little utility for surfing the web at work while everyone else thinks you are working on some SUPAR L33T COD3 MAsTaR D00d!!! I have used it this way on occasion. Very Happy
-- Carl Sagan

FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
Huzzah! It will show up in the pegasus3d.com site statistics, which I might as well mention here since this is the handy-dandy info thread:

https://pegasus3d.com/awstats.pegasus3d.html

Lynx is a very handy little utility for surfing the web at work while everyone else thinks you are working on some SUPAR L33T COD3 MAsTaR D00d!!! I have used it this way on occasion. Very Happy
Some of those search phrases are hilarious!

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanna know where the literotica links are coming from. Laughing

You have quite the list of incoming links JR. I was surprised how many articles use your graphs and your Apple UI history.

Where did you get that anyway, I found that a long, long time ago, but don't remember where.

(Also, it's missing 8 and 9! This should be corrected. Very Happy )

Imitation Gruel
Flames of Destruction
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules for OSY Extreme, according to JR.

#1: Don't be an utter prick.

"How delightful it would be to converse intimately with someone of the same mind, sharing with him the pleasures of uninhibited conversation on the amusing and foolish things of this world, but such friends are hard to find." -- Kenko Yoshida, Essays In Idleness
Socrates
Captain
Captain

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: