Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

MacOS X 10.2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: MacOS X 10.2 Reply with quote

Honestly, I'd like to know what Apple give you besides the OS and friggin iChat.

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. I'm seriously not noticing that much difference at all from 10.1.5

Where are the sexbots? There were supposed to be sexbots!
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: MacOS X 10.2 Reply with quote

Riso wrote:
Honestly, I'd like to know what Apple give you besides the OS and friggin iChat.
Each Shaguar box comes with Ice Cream .. like the Astronauts eat!

FD

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MacUser3of5
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sexbots are only available if you can run Quartz Extreme, otherwise sorry.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

read about it yourself. then decide. it's more than iApps
Thundar
Insert Custom Title Here
Commodore
Commodore

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:

And candy... candy too!

MasterOfTheHat wrote:
Well, if you'd quit sacrificing the virgins and screwing the livestock, you wouldn't be in such a predicament!

if you are wondering what smam is, just stick around, it is more a sort of zen than something that a mere definition with mortal words cannot comprehend. You will get the picture of what smam is in short order. It will change your life! -Smamta Clause
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more concerned about John Siracusa's reviews about OSX.

In his four-or-so reviews of the OS and its updates, he has yet to write any overtly shining recommendation towards the software.

Normally, this wouldn't bother me. There *are* rough edges in X, although they've become practically microscopic after Jaguar.

No, what bothers me is that other reports of OSes, like those of XP are practically dancing, in nature.

XP is great but I don't see any more level of utility between XP and X.

The dichotomy between the reviews "insanely great!" and "it's a-ight..." creates this quiet acquiesence that X has problems and XP doesn't when, in truth, the variance is attributable to degree of platform pulpit pounding.

Many of you will disagree but I thought I'd give my opinion.

J

Last edited by Madan on Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has he even done a review of Shaguar yet?
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front page of Ars. He has a lengthy exposition.

Read all about it.

His end report is:

"Hn..it a-ight."

Which is fine, if all other OS reviews were dealt with as maturely but, imo, I don't see the other reviews dealt with as impartially and OS X comes off as "unready" after successive releases...

Most of the problems he has with X are opinions anyways... Which is iffy.
I like his writing but he's trying to sound so "fair" that he's not giving Jaguar its due. That never seems to be a problem when Ars Windows reviewers give an MS OS the "once over".

That's all.
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked his review of Jag-why-r. I read it because I know next to nothing about Apple and the whole "thing".

I did read the XP review, but I don't remember much. You guys are probably right about the differences in the reviews between Microsoft and Apple. The Windows people feel free to shout from the roof tops when something is implemented. I think the mac people are afraid to do the same because they will instantly get labelled a "maclot", and shipped back to the Mach Ach.

Right now I use w2k and gentoo. If I could get my hands on some cheap apple hardware (enough to meet the QE bottom line), I would seriously LOOOVE to try out 10.2.

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are Appleworks and the itools on the two OS cd's?

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
longmarch
Estate Bottled
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riso wrote:
Are Appleworks and the itools on the two OS cd's?

iAps yes (tunes, photo, etc.), Appleworks no.
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:

Its good they left them out.

Just think about all those possible lawsuits.

- FondueDaredevil

- Gabe Newell
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading his review. I thought it was fine. What, you expected him to bring out the dancing monkeys? He covered all the bases in a fair and accurate manner, and didn't whine about metadata nearly as much as before.

I think I'm starting to reach the point where new OSes simply fail to excite me. Who gives a shit if this version of the Finder is better than the last one? How often do I use the Finder anyway? My user experience is 90-95% in the applications:

Word.X: Great, please speed it up some more
iTunes: Great, does what I want it to do
iMovie: Great, nice and easy
IE: UGH! ME SO SLOW!
Omniweb: Slightly less slow
Chimera: Fast in browsing, ass-tactularly slow in typing text in... ugh...

From my perspective, Apple could write a Cocoa browser that didn't suck and immediately raise the value of their platform tenfold. That's what they should concentrate on, and leave worrying about metadata to people who care about that kind of junk.

In my not so humble opinion of course.
-- Carl Sagan

jdsmith575
I drank the Kool-Aid
Commodore
Commodore

blank.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple releasing it's own browser would look pretty bad at this point. Didn't I read something about Watson's developers just get really pissed off about Sherlock 3 and not developing for Mac anymore? I think so. Now, if Apple publicly teamed up with the Chimera/Mozilla developers to get Chimera up to par, that would probably fly. Maybe.
"I learned something really important in college today. I don't want to be there." - King of the Hill
longmarch
Estate Bottled
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
Me too. I'm seriously not noticing that much difference at all from 10.1.5

Everything but Chimera was a little bit faster. At the bottom of the performance heap, every little bit counts.

Which prompts the question: should I upgrade my G4 to a 533, my IDE interface to ATA100, and my video to PCI-hacked QuartzGL at a total cost of $460 U.S., or should I give up an buy an Emachines?
MacUser3of5
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you have another option besides emachines Surprised Surprised Surprised

... right??
Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacUser3of5 wrote:
Surely you have another option besides emachines Surprised Surprised Surprised

... right??

I'd take an emachines over a Compaq, but that's just me.

And roughly 4 billion others on this planet. Wink

Gaah. I don’t tend to bother about slashdot, because quite frankly, the whole _point_ of slashdot is to have this big public wanking session with people getting together and making their own “insightful” comment on any random topic, whether they know anything about it or not. -- Linus Torvalds, 20 Aug 2005

I heard that even small amounts of smam are highly unstable. Like anti-matter, only with polka dots. -- Mord

I don't make up rumors, I just falsify them. -- HitScan

Pentium-M eats G4 alive so quickly that the G4 is still breathing when the P-M shits it out. End of story. -- Hat Monster
MacUser3of5
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's just you. Wink

Just playful poking really... they aren't bad machines.
OscarWilde
Unbearable Bliss of Ignorance
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jagwire is certianly not worth the price it was sold for. Apple would have been nicer had they sold the iApps as an additional add on or two versions of Jagwire. Jaguar iApps, or Jaguar, that way I wouldn't have to pay for something that isn't the worth the price of a 'full OS', and also I don't give money to Apple for their efforts for the iApps when I DON'T use them. If people like iApps and need them, let them pay the price for supporting Apple's iApp dev team.

iTunes: Don't use it
iPhoto: Heh, i'm used to Photoshop and prefer Photoshop hence its worth the price to me
iMovie: No interest in making home made pr0n, neither am I interested in filming anything, period.
iChat: I have AIM and MSN messenger installed, what do i need iChat for?
iCal, iSync: Apple's missed the boat a long time ago. My cellphone has everything Apple showed off during the keynote, last year. Yes people, my phone automagically syncs with a PC, updates the user database and timetable/schedules via outlook. And yes, my cell phone can store email address, three telephone numbers, home address, and cybersex0r icq numbers for each person. Its not my fault the American cell phones are way behind and that apparently this is some, ooh ahh feature. Razz

anyway, now that i have jagwire installed, i'm actually upset that i even paid that much. Jaguar has its improvements, improvements I like, but not improvements that is worthy of the price they sold it at. Grrrrrr!!!
Oh, and further more, why the fuck am i forced to pay for QE when I can't even use it!???? Again, as I said, Apple should have sold two seperate versions. One for people who want to pay less and don't want to get iApps. And another for people who want iApps. That way the cost would have been easier to bare.

Anyway, i'm pretty much set on getting a PC as soon as the Mac is EOL. Unless things change in the Mac market. I can't stand the price of hardware either. I want to get a Radeon card, but the mac versions cost a leg and an arm. Sure i can get a pc version and flash it, but I stand the risk of fucking up a card if things go wrong. More importantly, what if i want to get another card? Say radeon 9000 or the radeon 9700?

Here is a real life example. Yesterday evening i was at the computer store.

I saw Radeon 9700 for PC being sold at ~HK$2700
Two days before I saw the Mac Edition Radeon 8500 being sold at ~HK$2250

1US dollar is 7.73HK dollars. And no, Apple hardware (i.e. powermacs, ibook, emac, and the rest of its line) is sold at the right US prices, sometimes we get the macs cheaper here.

FUCK'N'A!!!!!!!!

I'm very frustrated because I'm playing max payne, fun game, but i'd like to enjoy the eye candy. Its my choice to be shallow and superficial and want beauty that is only skind deep.

I want to get RtCW but the mac version cost way to much. WAY TO MUCH!!!

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, I'm askin mainly cause I want to bring my dad's Mac's (all g3's: ibook/powermac/imac) into the 21st century.

- FondueDaredevil

- Gabe Newell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: