Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Here we go.....NT 4 File Permissions....Very Technical!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:31 am    Post subject: Here we go.....NT 4 File Permissions....Very Technical! Reply with quote

First new thread in OSY. Thought I'd make it as dry and boring as humanly possible.

So I've got this folder on a Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, SP6a. I want one particular local account to be able to:
- read the directory, write into the directory, read the files in the directory, write to the files in the directory, and add to files in the directory. I -don't- want that user to be able to DELETE files from the directory.

So I set up permissions on the folder thusly:

Operator --> Special Access (RWX)(RW)

Thinking that this will work, I log on as the user, open notepad, and try and write a text file to the directory. The result is this message, and I quote:

Quote:
Save As
<pathname>\hello.txt
This file is on a network drive with create but no modify privileges. Ask the administrator of this network to change this condition.

It then proceeds to write a 0 byte file with no contents.

The -only- way I seem to be able to make this work is to change the permissions to:

Operator --> Special Access (RWX)(RWD)
(Note: (RWX)(RWX) exhibits the same behavior as (RWX)(RW).

So no problem, except that now that account can delete previously written files.

Anyone have some NT4 file permissions mojo I can spread all over this to make it better?

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know for sure, but I think modify and delete go hand in hand, because if you delete a file you're really modifying it to zero bytes (and then removing the reference to it from the directory) I'm not sure NT4 allows that kind of fine-grained control, where you can modify but not delete. After all, you could open a file and select all, delete (say in Word) then save again. Have you not effectively deleted that file?

In Evil Unix(tm), you have the same kind of rwxrwx permissions, but it's even simpler: read, write, execute (for both user and group) That's as much control as you get.

Personally, I think the best thing to do is just give me total control over all files in the universe. Then things will be OK. Twisted Evil
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup sounds good to me.

<hereby grants all file access in the world to jr>

That's strange. I don't *feel* any different.....

HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If NT4 can't, it can almost certainly be done in 2K or XP, the Advanced Permission tab is packed high with shit.

Sadly, I can't think of any way around it in 4.

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HitScan....my thoughts exactly.

However....

I managed to recreate the issue on my Windows 2000 machine using Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read, and Write.

So then I tried playing with the advanced security options.....I wasn't able to get it to work there either! I am a little surprised. Basically, if I remove the delete rights, I get that stupid error message when I try and save a file. The weird thing is, an empty file is still written. Then, when I try and save the same file again (with the same name), it lets me overwrite the original no problem.

Very strange.

Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many applications delete the existing file you have loaded right before you save the new version over top. I don't know why they do this-- ask a programmer.
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
MacUser3of5
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding JR...
I edit HTML using Omniweb locally on my hard drive, and when I start using the source editor, the html file disappears... for the duration of my editing... eek!

But when I save, it comes back...

That is really unintuitive. Sad
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd. Especially if that behaviour is standard......I didn't even realize it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: