Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Hey Network guys

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Hey Network guys Reply with quote

So, have any of you, ever, purchased Ortronics parts online? I've been trying for the last few minutes and it's... an ordeal. All of the distributors listed on their site suck ass (even the one that's juat a Network Solutions parking page) and every one wants a salesperson to get chummy with you before they'll part with anything. This is unacceptable. So, I hit google with "Ortronics TJ600-00" (the part numebr I want) and get a few sites. Mostly Russian (?!). Finally, thinking I have hit nerdvana, I see Data Cable Corporation actually has a shopping cart and allows online purchases! Huzzah. Oh, but every Ort. part has a $0.00 price tag. Looks like it's quote time, Back to square one!

This is a gigantic pain in the ass. The only reason I'm even considering them anymore is that I need some of their (propreietary, joy!) TracJack plugs because like fools we have Wiremold floor boxes that won't take any other type of jack. Bitches.

So, do any of you have a source of parts from this mythical distributor? Or better yet, someone else (more online shopping friendly) that sells TracJack compatible parts?

Thanks for any help.

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, ortronics?

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
Um, ortronics?

They don't have a place to shop online. Unless I'm a tool and missed it, but the only place I saw anything about buying was a link to their awful "distributors" page.

Edit: OK, so they do have a place where you can add things to a cart, but there are no prices, and you still haven't "ordered" anything. I assume it's just submitting things for a quote (I assume because I'm not doing it from home) So basically it's no different from their other suppliers. Sad

I guess I'll try it tomorrow and see how annoying (and pricy) it is.

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
kingpinmc
Dark Stalker
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
Um, ortronics?

I think he was asking who the hell ortronics is. Or at least I am.
"Then I saw little Tiffany. I'm thinkin', you know, eight year old white girl, middle of the ghetto, bunch of monsters, this time of night with quantum physics books? She's about to start some shit, Zed.” - J - Men in Black

So.....

Maxi Does Dallas?

Twisted Evil - Mord
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingpinmc wrote:
Mord wrote:
Um, ortronics?

I think he was asking who the hell ortronics is. Or at least I am.

I wondered about that.

they're here: http://www.ortronics.com/

They sell the usual network crap. 110 jacks, wall plates, termination panels, etc. The only reason I even care about them are the stupid floor boxes we have here. They require This specific jack otherwise the network cables are just kind of flopping around on the floor. Dumb as hell, but that's what I'm stuck with. Sad

So, I guess if that jack looks familiar to anyone, by all means, let me know how to get them. Smile

Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh them. I've seen that logo before. I guess it just didn't register when typed in plain text.

Also I think your link is borked. Can you edit/repost?

HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, the link is correct.* I just now realized that the catalog site just blows goat ass.

The quick way to my required part:
Go to the above link.
On the left, click Clarity
To the right now, click Workstation
Set the Drop-downs as follows: Category: 6, Color: Black, Footprint: Tracjack
The first one should be part number is OR-TJ600-00.
Click View next to that, and that's a picture of what I need.

A forms only based website is retarded. I just thought I'd throw that out there. Mad

*For certain remarkably small values of correct, meaningful only in a purely statistical context.

Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HitScan wrote:
Sadly, the link is correct.* I just now realized that the catalog site just blows goat ass.

*For certain remarkably small values of correct, meaningful only in a purely statistical context.

This soo remembers me of the Discworld books.

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riso wrote:
HitScan wrote:

This soo remembers me of the Discworld books.

I played a game demo based on one of the books once. It was most excellent, I really don't have any excuse for not buying it (or at least remembering it) other than pure laziness.

Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need this jack for a patch panel or a wall plate?

Good lord:

ordontics website wrote:

Center tuned to Clarity6 patch cords for optimum performance

Somewhere, some clueless IT manager is wetting himself because he realized that his guys used generic IBDN cables instead.....

EDIT:

And since when did the termination point carry a Category rating? I thought that was a cable only. I don't remember needing "Category 6" RJ-45 connectors....

HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
You need this jack for a patch panel or a wall plate?

Good lord:

ordontics website wrote:

Center tuned to Clarity6 patch cords for optimum performance

Somewhere, some clueless IT manager is wetting himself because he realized that his guys used generic IBDN cables instead.....

EDIT:

And since when did the termination point carry a Category rating? I thought that was a cable only. I don't remember needing "Category 6" RJ-45 connectors....

I need them to mount in some electrical floor boxes. Because they're bitches it only takes that style jack, standard wall jacks won't fit.

Of course, I may have to make them fit, because I've also recently noticed that I'm lacking in bezels. These bezels came with the boxes (Not available seperately!), and are what actually holds the jacks in place. Annnnd... our hapless lazy ass electricians didn't think we'd ever need to use them.* Shit. Maybe I'll have to buy some double wall plates and dremel the shit out of them. Classy.

*Translation: they didn't think anyone would ever notice if they shaved .5 seconds off a 5+ minute install. Rolling Eyes

kingpinmc
Dark Stalker
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So wiremold doesn't sell the jacks you need to go in their floor plate? Have you checked Leviton?
"Then I saw little Tiffany. I'm thinkin', you know, eight year old white girl, middle of the ghetto, bunch of monsters, this time of night with quantum physics books? She's about to start some shit, Zed.” - J - Men in Black

So.....

Maxi Does Dallas?

Twisted Evil - Mord
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked Leviton's site and they don't appear to have a similar jack. (These Tracjack things are totally flat faced, they don't "stick out" like a regular wall jack does.)

But since I don't have any bezels, I couldn't use them even if I did find a good source. So, I'm gonna go buy some wallplates and get my chop on. Wink

Thanks anyway guys.

Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest Leviton as well, but you're right, I doubt they make stuff like that. Closest thing I could find is this (assuming links work):

http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/catalog/BuildPage.aspx?BuildPageID=1526

I also had a look at Blackbox but they don't appear to have anything specifically aimed at floors.

How flush does it really have to be? Won't there be a cable sticking out of the damn thing? I think most places actually just use raised boxes on the floor, and desks positioned over or beside them.

HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
I was going to suggest Leviton as well, but you're right, I doubt they make stuff like that. Closest thing I could find is this (assuming links work):

http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/catalog/BuildPage.aspx?BuildPageID=1526

I also had a look at Blackbox but they don't appear to have anything specifically aimed at floors.

How flush does it really have to be? Won't there be a cable sticking out of the damn thing? I think most places actually just use raised boxes on the floor, and desks positioned over or beside them.

They really do need to be kept flush, because when not in use, there's a cover that slides over them to keep them clean and protected. But the hole is plenty deep enough to do the wallplate trick with regular jacks, it's just more work.

Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that Ordontics thing you referred to looks pretty slick, and I've never seen anything like it.

Feign
The Ruiner's a collector...
Commander
Commander

sweden.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told you you should have have been way more involved in the wiring of your network. Wink

Fuck contractors...muscling it in is the best course of action.

They probly aren't that worried about selling the PS2 kits in particular, and know that unless there is footage of them grinding up babies for use in the PS3 they'll always sell a hojillion of whatever the fuck they make. - Hitscan on the PS3

(on smoking...) Two later in the night because I can't seem to take a shit without needing the nicotine to relax my ass muscles or some such deal. So took a shit too. - Oscarwilde on smoking

Yea and he said unto the masses "Jet behaveth as ass" and so it was. - Hitscan on Exchange

OSY Image Uploader - Use it, you bitches!
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feign wrote:
Told you you should have have been way more involved in the wiring of your network. Wink

Fuck contractors...muscling it in is the best course of action.

I'm not sure I could run 90+ lines in a few short weeks alone. Wink

But yes, if the engineering firm that fucked up the network specs, and the heating and air specs, and the wiring plan, had consulted me about anything, things would have been much improved.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: