Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

IE7b2. ZOOM!!!!111
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaoloM
The King Of Crap
Captain
Captain

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: IE7b2. ZOOM!!!!111 Reply with quote

It works. It's fast. A lot.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/default.mspx
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In. Deed.

I like the layout, and the more polished feel. A few thoughts as I play:

Favorites menu.
- being able to open all pages within a subfolder is something I've wanted
- buttons to list either favorites or RSS feeds
- can be pinned, and pages/folders act like links. much better than "click, hover, peruse"
- fixed size apparently, not dynamically fitting to content

Tabs.
- the throbber is on the tab itself, showing the loading action
- the active tab is slightly larger, making it easier to select
- new tab button still isn't intuitive
- Quick Tabs are godly. I will hear no denials.

Zooming.
- quick zoom at the bottom right of the IE window is a dropdown to show the current zoom, not unlike in Word.

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magus wrote:

- the active tab is slightly larger, making it easier to select

Do you mean "detect?" because I don't know why you'd want to select the active tab. Of course, I don't use tabbed browsing, so there could be a subtle focus issue I'm missing.

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has type-ahead find and quick text zooming (Ctrl-+ and Ctrl--) then I'll no longer have any reason to use Firefox (on Windows anyway).

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using b1 for a bit and I love the new tab button.

Having the menus not at the top really weirds me out though.

I assume the bits of the DOM which weren't implemented in b1 now are? Was annoying on a few sites.
PaoloM
The King Of Crap
Captain
Captain

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
If it has type-ahead find and quick text zooming (Ctrl-+ and Ctrl--) then I'll no longer have any reason to use Firefox (on Windows anyway).

Dunno about the type-ahead, but the Ctrl+ Ctrl- works just fine Smile
PaoloM
The King Of Crap
Captain
Captain

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewis wrote:
I've been using b1 for a bit and I love the new tab button.

Having the menus not at the top really weirds me out though.

I assume the bits of the DOM which weren't implemented in b1 now are? Was annoying on a few sites.

b2 is MUCH MUCH MUCH better. I got rid of the menu bar and all the toolbars. It's very neat Smile
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be the party-pooper, but it doesn't appear to be offering anything more than Avant does now. Maybe the phishing filter, but I don't really need that.

Can you control, with fine-grained adjustments, how tabs appear in multiple columns? This is an absolute must for me, as I frequently have MANY tabs open. Firefox and Opera both fall down on this front, either squeezing them into one impenetrable line, or by going to multiple lines which aren't squeezed at all and wind up taking like 1/3 of my vertical screen space away.
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn.

It's really f88king nice! I love how it doesn't have menus any more, I love the new icon and buttons, the page zooming is something I've never seen a browser do before (I don't think ctrl+/- will do quite what you're expecting, Mord Smile). Pretty daft how it scales the scrollbars as well, though... duh...

I don't like the way the Favorites sidebar is now called the Favorites Center, or that they still can't spell Favourites.

But somehow life will go on.
Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
I hate to be the party-pooper, but it doesn't appear to be offering anything more than Avant does now. Maybe the phishing filter, but I don't really need that.

Whoa there hoss.... try not to touch this up with reality! Hey can anybody confirm whether or not MS has decidedly to correctly support PNGs in this version? That alone would be worth the upgrade in my book.
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaoloM wrote:
Mord wrote:

Dunno about the type-ahead, but the Ctrl+ Ctrl- works just fine Smile

Awesome, that's actually bigger for me than type-ahead find.

Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed it and I hate it:

1) When I reenable the classic menu, WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD does it appear underneath the address bar? Even when I unlock the toolbars, I can't seem to change this positioning. Menu Bars are supposed to be at the top of the window....

2) It's kind of ugly. Whats with the background on the tabs?

3) It does handle transparent/translucent PNGs correctly. Thank goodness for that.

4) So we removed the menu bar and instead replacing it with icons that essentially perform the same function as the menu bar? What was the point. Oh and just to annoy people like me that like the menu bars at the top of the forms, you of course are unable to move the new "button menu" to the top of the window. Figures.

5) Quick Tabs seems kind of cool.

Perhaps I'm a bit old fashioned... but I don't see what the thrill is all about. There are some admittedly nice features (Quick Tabs and proper PNG support being at the top of the list) but the UI is generally a mess. Is there some way to simply place the menu bar at the top of the window? Is there a way to get rid of the l33t background on the tabs? Is there anyway to customize the size of the address bar? Can I hide that MSN Search feature as I have absolutely no intention of ever using? Are we honestly so desperate for a real update to IE that this will suffice? How is standards support in this version? Has MS finally delivered on that front as has been speculated?

EDIT: The Zoom feature is pretty nifty as well. Nonetheless....
Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn this thing sucks up some ram. 70 megs of memory after a few minutes worth of use and three tabs open. That's a lot more than Firefox typically uses... between Visual Studio 2005 and IE7, I may need to look into more RAM soon.
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RAM sucking thing makes me hesitant to try it. But this:

Quote:

1) When I reenable the classic menu, WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD does it appear underneath the address bar? Even when I unlock the toolbars, I can't seem to change this positioning. Menu Bars are supposed to be at the top of the window....

this is the most retarded user interface design decision since the thumbwheel volume control on QuickTime 4. Say it with me slowly, IE development team: MENU BARS DO NOT GO UNDER TOOLBARS. What were they thinking?
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
OscarWilde
Unbearable Bliss of Ignorance
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to yesterday IE7.

And also, this is beta, so I'm guessing they're going to have quirks and bugs. So, ummm... if you see problems, report them. Only helps MS to make a better product for you guys in the end.

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magus wrote:

Tabs.
- the throbber is on the tab itself, showing the loading action

Ah, so there are people that like this feature. Safari has it the circle thingy in the tabs, but Firefox doesn't. I don't think I ever actually bothered for it. I just assumed that Apple did it for the eye candy or something.

Quote:

- Quick Tabs are godly. I will hear no denials.

Screen shots! What are quick tabs?

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
this is the most retarded user interface design decision since the thumbwheel volume control on QuickTime 4.

I LOVED THAT!!!
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ah, so there are people that like this feature. Safari has it the circle thingy in the tabs, but Firefox doesn't. I don't think I ever actually bothered for it. I just assumed that Apple did it for the eye candy or something.

Avant has a nifty little pie chart that shows loading. It goes where the favicon ends up after the page has loaded.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much from a company with 63,000 employees and $50 odd billion in the bank, but I really thought they would blow Avant away. Sad
-- Carl Sagan

Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
this is the most retarded user interface design decision since the thumbwheel volume control on QuickTime 4. Say it with me slowly, IE development team: MENU BARS DO NOT GO UNDER TOOLBARS. What were they thinking?

I think I understand their thought process if not the decision itself. They are attempting to clone the Safari interface. What the developers of IE forgot though is that the reason Safari doesn't have it's menu bar is because the Mac UI has long had a global menu bar at the top of the screen. The replacement for the menu bar quite frankly sucks. The reason for this is that I am completely 100% unable to fathom how I am going to give people instructions to do something with those icon drop downs over the phone. Yeah click the thing that looks like a window errrr... square split down the middle into four quadrants..... errr....

I like the fact that the closing buttons for each tab is on the tab itself rather than on the right side of the tab bar as in FireFox. Epiphany in Gnome also had the brilliant idea of properly positioning their tab close buttons in the same manner and it just makes so much more sense. One thing I do like about IE 7 is how easy it is to create a new tab.

Still the RAM sucking thing concerns me. I mean honestly it's almost as if the whole "efficient" program concept has been thrown out of the window at Microsoft lately. At this point I'm dreading seeing what Vista's base memory usage is going to be after it is released.....
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still doesn't seem to do anything better in the interface departement than Opera.

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I found out what Quick Tabs are. Reminds me of Shiira's, 'quick tabs', which I tried for a while but wasn't a big fan off.

I'll be testing out IE 7 later on my PC and make me own opinions.

Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

but I don't see what the thrill is all about.

Well, IE has been playing catchup recently, as evidenced by the number of addon plugins and the people that use them....

I have yet to actually try IE7, but my opinion from the comments are that they haven't made a browser killer yet.

Quote:

Avant has a nifty little pie chart that shows loading. It goes where the favicon ends up after the page has loaded.

I like how Safari does it, with the coloured bar filling up where you type the URL. It took me some using before I figured out what that was.

And the memory footprint also concerns me. I don't even typically run virus scanners because they are memory/resource hogs. I would definately avoid a browser that used far too much. Is it possible that the beta still includes debugging objects and thats why the footprint is still big?

Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it possible that the beta still includes debugging objects and thats why the footprint is still big?

If we take Firefox as measurement, nope.

If we take other MSFT betas, probably yes.

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ain't fussed about how much memory it uses as long as it's fast. And it is really, really fast.
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewis wrote:
I ain't fussed about how much memory it uses as long as it's fast. And it is really, really fast.
Yeah, I suppose. I'll definiately be giving it a try when I get my desktop running again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: