Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

I am posting from class.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: I am posting from class. Reply with quote

This is COMM 1110 - Writing for the Web, part of the BCIT Technical Writing Program.

It's not bad, I can surf Ars and OSY at the same time as we are doing the course. The instructor seems fairly good. I am trying to be open-minded and not immediately dismiss everything just because I already Write For The Web for a living.

One thing that bugs me is the required textbook. For a course about the web, there should be no overly marked-up dead trees.
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Feign
The Ruiner's a collector...
Commander
Commander

sweden.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was what, almost 9:30 when you posted that?

I remember those days. Sad I'll probably be going back to nights like that come August.

Writing for the web? Explain?

They probly aren't that worried about selling the PS2 kits in particular, and know that unless there is footage of them grinding up babies for use in the PS3 they'll always sell a hojillion of whatever the fuck they make. - Hitscan on the PS3

(on smoking...) Two later in the night because I can't seem to take a shit without needing the nicotine to relax my ass muscles or some such deal. So took a shit too. - Oscarwilde on smoking

Yea and he said unto the masses "Jet behaveth as ass" and so it was. - Hitscan on Exchange

OSY Image Uploader - Use it, you bitches!
AllYorBaseRBelong2Us
Infernal Smam Lord
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Location: Gaurding the toenail clipper bag that holds you all!

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AYB prefers books over display screens, he's old fashioned that way, but he can see how such things are not suitable.

Posting from class is whee indeed! Smile
This and other statistics can be culled from Jeremy Reimer's Personal Computer Market Share: 1975-2002, a very impressive piece of information gathering. The numbers tell some very interesting stories.
- http://lowendmac.com/musings/03/0131.html

Man, I need to get out more. You know smam is getting to you when you go to a canadian restaurant and start wondering about moose cock. -OscarWilde Smile
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home now. The course is part of the BCIT Technical Writing program, as many tech. writers these days need to prepare documents for the web. It goes from 6:30-9:30, but oddly enough doesn't drag that much. I think it's because I can surf.
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind reading from the screen, but nothing beats stretching out on the couch with a book. Smile

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god, is that 6:30 in the morning?

Hell, you better aint talking to me until 10 if you want an answer!

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feign wrote:
It was what, almost 9:30 when you posted that?

I remember those days. Sad I'll probably be going back to nights like that come August.

Writing for the web? Explain?

What ho! What are you doing? Anything fun?

On an only slightly related note, do you still have that Scheme book from way back? I've looked through the one online and was hoping to look through a dead tree one. Smile (I'll understand if you burned it, and pissed on it, and some other mean stuff, because I remember how you "loved" that class. Wink )

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

My god, is that 6:30 in the morning?

Good God. no. It's 6:30 PM.
-- Carl Sagan

Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's 6:20 and class #2 is about to start in ten minutes.

I have to do an oral presentation today, which should be a laugh. We have to choose a website to critique, and because I'm so amazingly lazy, I chose ars, just because I already know it in and out.

Mystery meat navigation and the infamous "house" icon will feature prominently.
-- Carl Sagan

Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaand... it is done.

The instructor seemed kind of confused about what the whole point of ArsTechnica was, or who the audience was, even after I explained it. Oh well. What can you do.
-- Carl Sagan

Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you mentioned the fact that even when their whole page won't load, somehow the ads always manage to load. For some reason it annoys we when I just get a partial header of the Ars page, a big ad and nothing else.
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to brush up presentation skills, I recommend Presentation Zen.
But I suggest you read it even if you don't, because it is very interesting. If only to have Steve Jobs analyzed.

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell

Last edited by Riso on Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy it when their (main) site breaks on IE but is alright on FF/Opera, and then how it magically gets fixed during the day (or the next day, or the day after that) only to un-fix itself not too long afterward.

And by "enjoy" I mean Mad

Gaah. I don’t tend to bother about slashdot, because quite frankly, the whole _point_ of slashdot is to have this big public wanking session with people getting together and making their own “insightful” comment on any random topic, whether they know anything about it or not. -- Linus Torvalds, 20 Aug 2005

I heard that even small amounts of smam are highly unstable. Like anti-matter, only with polka dots. -- Mord

I don't make up rumors, I just falsify them. -- HitScan

Pentium-M eats G4 alive so quickly that the G4 is still breathing when the P-M shits it out. End of story. -- Hat Monster
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riso wrote:
If you need to brush up presentation skills, I recommend [url=presentationzen.blogs.com]Presentation Zen[/url].
But I suggest you read it even if you don't, because it is very interesting. If only to have Steve Jobs analyzed.

I think that [url] would dearly like some http://.

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
AllYorBaseRBelong2Us
Infernal Smam Lord
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Thundar?

Confused
This and other statistics can be culled from Jeremy Reimer's Personal Computer Market Share: 1975-2002, a very impressive piece of information gathering. The numbers tell some very interesting stories.

Man, I need to get out more. You know smam is getting to you when you go to a canadian restaurant and start wondering about moose cock. -OscarWilde Smile
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HitScan wrote:
Riso wrote:
If you need to brush up presentation skills, I recommend [url=presentationzen.blogs.com]Presentation Zen[/url].

I think that [url] would dearly like some http://.

Move along, nothing to see here.

- FondueDaredevil

- Gabe Newell
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riso wrote:
If you need to brush up presentation skills, I recommend Presentation Zen.

I think the presentation went okay.

Personally I think presentations are overvalued in our society. There is more to life than PowerPoint. People should make important decisions based on better data than whether or not someone used periwinkle blue as a background colour.

Steve Jobs is kind of freaky. He gets so into those stupid Macworld keynotes. He's like a cult leader!
-- Carl Sagan

Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Apple should proclaim itself a religion, and their products essential religious objects of untold value.

- FondueDaredevil

- Gabe Newell
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
Steve Jobs is kind of freaky. He gets so into those stupid Macworld keynotes. He's like a cult leader!
Gosh, really? Wink

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, yeah, it's not a big revelation actually.

One thing I forgot to mention is that after my presentation, and during the break, the instructor came over to ask me more questions about my job at Ars Technica, so he was at least interested in what I do.
-- Carl Sagan

Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bodes well, I think. Smile

Gaah. I don’t tend to bother about slashdot, because quite frankly, the whole _point_ of slashdot is to have this big public wanking session with people getting together and making their own “insightful” comment on any random topic, whether they know anything about it or not. -- Linus Torvalds, 20 Aug 2005

I heard that even small amounts of smam are highly unstable. Like anti-matter, only with polka dots. -- Mord

Pentium-M eats G4 alive so quickly that the G4 is still breathing when the P-M shits it out. End of story. -- Hat Monster
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just finished the "final exam" which was supposed to be an hour-long thing (held oddly on class 5 rather than class 6, which is the actual last class, but we are doing presentations for class 6) I finished the exam in about 10 minutes.

Whee.

The presentation is for a design for a new website. I'm doing mine for a new website for the AmigaOne + OS4. Just for fun.

Oh, I never wound up buying the textbook. Good thing too, as it turned out to be completely unnecessary for the course.
-- Carl Sagan

Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 mins?! What kind of questions were asked?

When you finished, did you sit around or simply hand in your test and leave? Smile

Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The questions were largely short-answer, cookie-cutter things from the class notes. Write down the five principles of blah, what are the seven types of duh, etc.

After I finished I handed it in, then I waited around a few minutes so that I could get my final project approved by the instructor (I was the second person to finish the exam, so the first person got to go up and get approval first) and then I left.

Good thing too, as I was under day #3 of a bad cold and wanted to get to bed.
-- Carl Sagan

AllYorBaseRBelong2Us
Infernal Smam Lord
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That test needed more smam. you should have handed in one of Oscar Wilde's silly ramblings for extra credit, though the teacher would have been confused (though enlightened, nevertheless)

Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: