Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Houston, we have a problem...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OscarWilde
Unbearable Bliss of Ignorance
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Houston, we have a problem... Reply with quote

The 'consider the source' thread has gone out of control. We're (those that are fighting) all feeling like the other is being offensive, and vice versa where we're feeling offended. Not a good sign.

I don't intend to lose online friends I have here over issues that aren't as important as friendship is. Granted, online friendship is an odd concept in itself; but as I love to travel, i've always had it mind to go visit certain OSY members if I can, which also includes my twin Magus (who right now I'm sure thinks of me as his much more evil doppleganger then a twin Laughing).
Twinky, Mord, Jeremy, Paolo and Dvixen, if I go through Canada. I'll see if they want to see me, or avoid me. Very Happy
AYB off course, that isn't even a question. And I know he'll let me stay at his new house.
And many more people here. If we let conflict rule our relationship, we lose our humanity I think. So much love from me, even though I don't really know you and I think a lot of you are bastards. Wink

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be understood that I do try to seperate politics from personality. I've talked with Jeremy on #OSY on this very thing.

Politically, Wilde, I think you and JR are foreign hippy pinko Commie baby-eating assholes. Very Happy

On the personal side, you both seem to be okay guys, albeit as screwed up in the head as me. Cheesy smile

I hope the difference is clear? I really do compartmentalize...

What got my ire up (and yes, I do recognize my posts in that thread got a bit heated) isn't anyone personally, but what I perceive as one-sided communication and less than smammy debate techniques. I'm not denying my guilt in it, or that I'm likely exhibiting some behavior that rubs others wrong ways. I'll listen to any constructive criticism and hope that we can all learn something from the latest disaster.

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if we acknowledge that political threads can get heated, we can practice participating in them without getting so, er, heated. Or something.

The thing is, there's never any absolute about who is right and who is wrong. It's all shades of grey. Many times people (aka politicians) do the wrong things for the right reasons, or the right things for the wrong reasons, or what they think is right but what later turns out to be wrong, etc. It's too much to expect people to be perfect all the time. People make mistakes!

As do posters. I think we all have to learn to be forgiving of others from time to time. Magus has already forgiven me for getting too heated on a number of occasions. And for that I thank him. Smile
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't actually looking for forgiveness or excuses for comments made in other threads. I was looking for free invites to your homes, 'yeah sure! when you pass through the area let me know and you can stay at my place!'

Obviously some of you don't travel much. Wink The more you travel, the more you become resourceful and try to stay with friends rather then at hotels which tend to always suck no matter how luxuries they may be. There are times hotels are nice, but the formality, the almost over sterile scented smell of the hallways and rooms drives me batty after a while. Also, once you step into a hotel room, you're effectively putting your holiday/visit on hold. When I stay at my friend's place, returning back home you're never putting your holiday on pause: the families (if they live with any) are pleasant and always want to talk to you. So talking to them and hearing their accents reminds you where you are. Second, the smell of a house is always more natural to me then a sterile cleaned room, so you feel alive and not in a limbo state of existence. Also, you don't really have the accidental chance of falling asleep as you would in a hotel room.

Yeah, it's been over two years since i've travelled. I really need to leave HK and go for a holiday. Next post!

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the "trick" to keeping a political thread civil is for everyone to be careful with his or her tone. Even when you're posting about an issue that's very important to you or replying to a post that you think is absurd, being polite in your criticism goes a long way. We all think we're "right" (er, "correct"), so we all need to be cognizant of the fact that saying "

For me, there's the obvious example of Israel-Palestine threads. I'm very passionate about the issue, for evident reasons, but since I know that I take extra care to write about it in a measured tone, with references (primary sources wherever possible) as needed. There are fora I frequent where I refuse to discuss the issue, because people invariably say things I find too offensive to remain civil, and because people make statements intended to be taken by others as fact that in reality are completely unsupported. If you wish to speak from a position of authority, provide primary-source references. If not, qualify your statements. In all cases, write in as measured a tone as you can.

On another forum I frequent (sort of a "spin-off" of one of the places where I don't discuss the issue) someone asked me about my views of the subject as related to two specific points. When asked nicely, I'm more than willing to elucidate my thoughts. At some length (that post is a behemoth), with references to primary sources. If the subject ever comes up here again, from what I've seen so far I would certainly be willing to say what I think about aspects X or Y of the issue, without fear of being insulted or flamed for posting in a measured, reasoned manner.

In the general case, I really do think it's better to drop the "argumentative" tone. So no "you pulled that out of your ass!" or "that's fucking ridiculous," and more "I don't think that's accurate, for reasons X and Y," perhaps with a dose of "I disagree because of related point Z." Emphasize words or phrases only if you must, and with italics (not bold or allcaps). It makes a world of difference.

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
Thundar
Insert Custom Title Here
Commodore
Commodore

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the more smileys, the better...

Many grins Many grins Many grins Many grins Many grins Many grins Many grins Many grins Many grins Many grins Many grins Many grins Many grins Many grins Many grins Many grins Many grins Many grins

MasterOfTheHat wrote:
Well, if you'd quit sacrificing the virgins and screwing the livestock, you wouldn't be in such a predicament!

if you are wondering what smam is, just stick around, it is more a sort of zen than something that a mere definition with mortal words cannot comprehend. You will get the picture of what smam is in short order. It will change your life! -Smamta Clause
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have never become involved in the argument ... because winning an argument on the internet is like winning the special olympics ...

My excuse is that I was tired ...

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FondueDaredevil wrote:
I should have never become involved in the argument ... because winning an argument on the internet is like winning the special olympics ...

Don't beat yourself up over it. We've all done it (considering how many of us used to or still continue to post in the BF on Ars) and a large number of us will do it again. I didn't take anything personally there and I would sincerely hope that nobody else did either. If they did then I am truly sorry for any part I may have played in facilitating that perception.

I personally crave a dicey political discussion, even between such disparate viewpoints. Though I'm sure most of you know that as I seem drawn to these threads like a moth to the flame. Pretty much everytime we have a family gathering, we get into major political warfare (this is on my side of the family, not my wife's). There are so many of us with so many completely different points of view - sometmes we just have to put it all aside and remember why we all love each other just to get past it all.

So hey my advice is this: Don't worry be happy! Very Happy
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay wrote:
FondueDaredevil wrote:

Don't beat yourself up over it. We've all done it (considering how many of us used to or still continue to post in the BF on Ars) and a large number of us will do it again. I didn't take anything personally there and I would sincerely hope that nobody else did either. If they did then I am truly sorry for any part I may have played in facilitating that perception.

I personally crave a dicey political discussion, even between such disparate viewpoints. Though I'm sure most of you know that as I seem drawn to these threads like a moth to the flame. Pretty much everytime we have a family gathering, we get into major political warfare (this is on my side of the family, not my wife's). There are so many of us with so many completely different points of view - sometmes we just have to put it all aside and remember why we all love each other just to get past it all.

So hey my advice is this: Don't worry be happy! Very Happy
Gisboth was the only one whom offended me; I was trying to argue facts and he shit the thread up with insults.

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
AllYorBaseRBelong2Us
Infernal Smam Lord
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Location: Gaurding the toenail clipper bag that holds you all!

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AYB is glad to see his smammlings get along so well

Smile
This and other statistics can be culled from Jeremy Reimer's Personal Computer Market Share: 1975-2002, a very impressive piece of information gathering. The numbers tell some very interesting stories.
- http://lowendmac.com/musings/03/0131.html

Man, I need to get out more. You know smam is getting to you when you go to a canadian restaurant and start wondering about moose cock. -OscarWilde Smile
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Comedy Fucking Gold! And one of my favorite actors, no doubt!

Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:

Not to mention from one of my favorite movies, "Heat" Very Happy
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay wrote:
OscarWilde wrote:
Not to mention from one of my favorite movies, "Heat" Very Happy
Funny, I was just about to post that it was a screenshot from one of my most hated movies. Very Happy

Supervillains for Linux!
AllYorBaseRBelong2Us
Infernal Smam Lord
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of movies, and smam, which AYB always talks about, Harry Pottar is comming out this weekend!

Oscar Wilde, Magus, and AYB are so pumped!

Smile
This and other statistics can be culled from Jeremy Reimer's Personal Computer Market Share: 1975-2002, a very impressive piece of information gathering. The numbers tell some very interesting stories.

Man, I need to get out more. You know smam is getting to you when you go to a canadian restaurant and start wondering about moose cock. -OscarWilde Smile
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pumped about Harry Potter? Not really. I'll watch it for sure, but truth be told, they sorta almost bore me. I do like the books a lot. However, just like the LOTR movies, and basically any movie that are based on books, I tend not to like them. LOTR being the one that I disliked the most because I felt it really just focused on both the romantic* aspects and the battle scenes. Even Tolkein himself has written that one could read the book as 'romantic heroism' (which I admit reading it as) and avoid the history behind the story. However, the book without the history and romantic heroism, still has a deeper character growth that gets revealed with the scouring of the Shire in the end. The movie didn't show that, and I'm very bitter about that. Hence why I think LOTR is the worse of book adaptations.

*I'm using the term romantic as the ideal and not the word as it is more often known today: which is the context of love between a couple. Karl Marx's 'The Communist Manifesto' believe it or not is considered romantic writing, which I'm fairly sure not many are aware of. So yeah, I'm talking about the romantic ideal, not love.

HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, I'm just pumped that I'm getting off work tomorrow at 1:30, not necessarily because I'm going to see the movie. (Though it better not suck...)

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'fraid not. HP just doesn't interest me all that much, sorry. Smile

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma Watson is hot.

There, I said it.
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
Emma Watson is hot.

There, I said it.

I won't deny it.

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HitScan wrote:
Jeremy Reimer wrote:
Emma Watson is hot.

There, I said it.
I won't deny it.
She's fifteen.

I wish I could find a picture of her mother to get an idea of what she may look like when she matures.

I mean, she's cute but I prefer a full figured woman ... at Emma's current age there's no difference between her figure and a boy.

Supervillains for Linux!
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FondueDaredevil wrote:

I wish I could find a picture of her mother to get an idea of what she may look like when she matures.

Name: Jacquelin Watson:

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
AllYorBaseRBelong2Us
Infernal Smam Lord
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OW and Magus are silly.

goofyheads!

Razz

Thundar
Insert Custom Title Here
Commodore
Commodore

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HitScan wrote:
Jeremy Reimer wrote:
Emma Watson is hot.

There, I said it.

I won't deny it.

I concur.

MasterOfTheHat wrote:
Well, if you'd quit sacrificing the virgins and screwing the livestock, you wouldn't be in such a predicament!

if you are wondering what smam is, just stick around, it is more a sort of zen than something that a mere definition with mortal words cannot comprehend. You will get the picture of what smam is in short order. It will change your life! -Smamta Clause
MasterOfTheHat
Commander
Commander

Location: In a galaxy far, far, far, far, really really far away...

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thundar wrote:
HitScan wrote:
Jeremy Reimer wrote:
Emma Watson is hot.

There, I said it.

I won't deny it.

I concur.

But damn she's young, y'all... I much prefer this version!

For my fellow OSYers - You know you're addicted to programming when:"The people you respect most you have never physically seen or spoken to, but you always bow to their knowledge."

*Quantum physics texts are an excellent source of 100% of the recommended daily alowance of "WTF!?!" - HitScan

support.microsoft's cause for a 0x0000007f STOP error:
"• Your computer has hardware or software problems. "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: