Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

I need a new Tribus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: I need a new Tribus Reply with quote

I've had fun with Bandley 6 for many years. Bandley 6 was the building on Bandley Drive (former Apple headquarters) where Steve Jobs was moved to in 1985 after being stripped of all operational responsibilities at the company. It had only one office--Steve's. He basically had nothing to do, which is why he left shortly thereafter.

I felt Bandley 6 was obscure enough and I felt it kind of reflected my position in life--shunted off to an empty building, quietly making my plans for World Domination(tm) but having no influence on anybody or anything.

Well, I no longer feel that way. My new position writing regular posts and articles for Ars Technica has changed my viewpoint on where I stand in the world. Okay, it's not like I'm suddenly an Important Person or anything like that, but... well, I mean people read stuff I write. Lots of people. (Over 101,000 people read my History of the GUI article in the first 2 weeks it was up) This has never happened before, and it's a neat feeling.

So I'm thinking I need a new Tribus: and Location: for Ars and OSY. Something obscure, geeky, and cool is what I'm going for. If it's really obscure then a big advantage will be that only OSY people will know what it is... maybe it could have a secret OSY-only Double Meaning or something like that. Put your thinking caps on. I'd like to offer some kind of prize for a winning entry as well... not sure what that would be though. But I'll think of something!
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
OscarWilde
Unbearable Bliss of Ignorance
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the location of 'Creative Computing Magazine', which was the first home computer magazine publication? Read about Dave Ahl the magazine co-founder. Maybe the office address for 'Creative Computing Magazine' would be a good transition from the current one you shared with Steve Jobs. It fits from feeling like you were no where to being published. Also, you seem to have fun with your articles and don't take yourself to seriously, which is the impression I get from reading the article above, about Dave Ahl and his magazine.

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the article I linked to about Dave Ahl, and then a more recent one, I find there are some interesting similarities between you (Jeremy) and Dave.

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the obvious 'double meaning' for Creative Computing Magazine would be that you write articles about the history of computers, and in a way, it's like you'd be writing articles for Creative Computing Magazine back then. Sorta like you're time traveling in the publication world. Is it irony? I don't think it is, but I love them ironies and double entendres so, I'll take whatever I can get.

Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And OscarWilde roars into the early lead!

I'm a huge David H Ahl fan. One of my first computer books ever was the original 101 BASIC Computer Games book (I still have it; it's well-worn), the edition with the crappy photocopied printouts from various minicomputer BASICs.

I like it.
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: I need a new Tribus Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
So I'm thinking I need a new Tribus: and Location: for Ars and OSY...
Between a rock and a hard place?

Not very geeky i suppose.

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dvixen
Sugar standards in exported confectionaries Minister
Captain
Captain

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redmond, Oregon!
DeAthe
Awaits you all, with nasty big pointy teeth..
Captain
Captain

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than Uranus I suppose.
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I like about Tribus' is that it should appear like a very casual, off-the cuff kind of thing for that person. It represents how they think, and implies something obvious to them, but not so obvious to the people looking at it. Like there was very little premeditation for choosing it, or at least the appearance thereof.

I hope that made sense.

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have changed my Tribus/Location. It is now 789-M, the post office box of Creative Computing Magazine in 1973.
-- Carl Sagan

longmarch
Estate Bottled
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already submitted a trademark application for XXX-X locations, but I am however willing to license it for free. Aren't you lucky? Very Happy
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my Tribus might be ready for a change as well. For ages, it's been: "Ah, I remember the days of yore when there was naught but "From:" in these parts..."

I'm thinking I might just change it to my actual location, but I am open to other suggestions. I might use my custom title from here. Very Happy

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:
I think my Tribus might be ready for a change as well. For ages, it's been: "Ah, I remember the days of yore when there was naught but "From:" in these parts..."

I'm thinking I might just change it to my actual location, but I am open to other suggestions. I might use my custom title from here. Very Happy

Judging by some of your posts here, you could change it to "AKA Kinkster"

Wink

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zing!

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I'd have to PayPal Caesar US$20 more. Wink And besides, I don't have perverse sensibilities. It's yours that are tame. Razz

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: I need a new Tribus Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
I'd like to offer some kind of prize for a winning entry as well... not sure what that would be though. But I'll think of something!

So, where's my prize? Wink Very Happy

Imitation Gruel
Flames of Destruction
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In honor of what is probably my favorite manga, I have changed my own tribus.

"How delightful it would be to converse intimately with someone of the same mind, sharing with him the pleasures of uninhibited conversation on the amusing and foolish things of this world, but such friends are hard to find." -- Kenko Yoshida, Essays In Idleness
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I need a new Tribus Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
Jeremy Reimer wrote:
I'd like to offer some kind of prize for a winning entry as well... not sure what that would be though. But I'll think of something!

So, where's my prize? Wink Very Happy

You win a fabulous free trip to Dreetha, via the Ars Orbiting HQ!
-- Carl Sagan

kennedye
Petty Officer 2nd class
Petty Officer 2nd class

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor trivia note: Back in the early 90s, when Apple built a new manufacturing plant in Fountain, Colorado, a few miles south of Colorado Springs, they had the county rename Frontage Road (a road that ran alongside I-25 in the area) to Bandley Drive.

I actually got to take a tour of the plant just before it opened with our local user group. Very spiffy place. (They were building the IIsi and LC at the time.)
Instead of the grateful joy that I expected, they were words of quiet rejection! Instead of praise, sullen dismissal. I watched in shock and horror as Father Brown ground my precious instrument to splinters beneath his feet... -- 2112
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what did "Bandley" mean, if anything?
-- Carl Sagan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: