Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Cowboy Bebop is teh win!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Cowboy Bebop is teh win! Reply with quote

I haven't seen any of the series, but I was on a bit of an anime kick this weekend (Vol. 3 of Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex, Akira, and Cowboy Bebop), and I have to say that the Cowboy Bebop movie is one of my favourite anime films.

I'll have to investigate the series, because the movie was most enjoyable.

Huzzah!

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie was like one long episode, and one of the more average ones at that. Smile

I *love* Cowboy Bebop. Seen it all the way through about five times now, have the music (which I'll eventually get legit), and only lack dvds 4 and 5. Smile

Nearly everyone who sees it comments on the music, so the more musically talented Smammers here should really enjoy it.

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to get my grubby little mitts on the series, then, there's nothing else for it! Very Happy

I definitely enjoyed the music in the movie. It was always well-suited to the scene, which was impressive considering the variety.

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Yoko Kanno is very talented, especially at making music fit the mood and scene.

See me in #OSY if you'd like to grab the mp3s. Smile

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wait until I've seen the series, will they still be there? Smile

Also, what's the difference between the seemingly 10,000 different versions of the series DVDs? "Complete," "Perfect," "Remix..." I don't get it.

Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete is a box set.

Perfect is a box set with extras, but limited and numbered, so unless you manage to pry one out of its owner's hands...

Remix is a rerelease of the normal DVDs, adding 5.1 sound.

I have the original Sessions (each DVD is called a session, since the series is chock full of bebop jazz) from 2003.

-HitScan

Feign
The Ruiner's a collector...
Commander
Commander

sweden.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obtained the DVDs from another member and they are quite succulent.

I haven't listened to the sessions stuff yet, but I know it's concentrated awesome.

They probly aren't that worried about selling the PS2 kits in particular, and know that unless there is footage of them grinding up babies for use in the PS3 they'll always sell a hojillion of whatever the fuck they make. - Hitscan on the PS3

(on smoking...) Two later in the night because I can't seem to take a shit without needing the nicotine to relax my ass muscles or some such deal. So took a shit too. - Oscarwilde on smoking

Yea and he said unto the masses "Jet behaveth as ass" and so it was. - Hitscan on Exchange

OSY Image Uploader - Use it, you bitches!
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation! So then what I want is this?

(Price in Canadian dollars.)

Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed! Smile

-HitScan

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather conveniently, it's set for release tomorrow. Very Happy

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but, sadly, not available through Amazon.ca. That price is not in Canadian dollars. Sad

HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:
...but, sadly, not available through Amazon.ca. That price is not in Canadian dollars. Sad

Meh. It matters not. Amazon's system will take care of all of that, so long as you can play the Region 1 DVDs, you can buy them from amazon.com. I grabbed something from amazon.ca* and had it shipped to in.us, no problem. I suspect you can even use your normal .ca login. (a guess, because it worked for me going the other way.)

*Couple of Shocore CDs in case anyone cares. They're pretty good.

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

(a guess, because it worked for me going the other way.)

Do that a lot, do you?

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yeah, HitScan, but it means it costs significantly more than I thought, plus the additional cost of crossborder shipping and customs duty. I haven't worked out the total cost in $CDN yet...

HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yeah, HitScan, but it means it costs significantly more than I thought, plus the additional cost of crossborder shipping and customs duty. I haven't worked out the total cost in $CDN yet...

Ah, well yes. I sometimes make the mistake of believing that everyone buys things the way I do; i.e. utterly irresponsibly so long as they're shiny-shit-o-meter is pegged. Very Happy

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord: I realize that the setup could not have been more perfectly architected, even if I tried. But still, Razz.

Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, I'll always make sure those don't go unnoticed.

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently and somehwat unexpectedly received $1,500. As such I have purchased the complete series and it will be shipped to me soon. Very Happy

Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, have you gotten to see the greatness yet? Smile

-HitScan

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly, Amazon thinks November 17th is "soon."

*grumble*

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or not! I got it in the mail today! Very Happy

However, the Session 3 disc was off the spindle and I can see some faint scratches. I hope it still plays fine, I'm not really interested in dicking around with trying to get it replaced...

Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah! Hopefully Session 3 is ok, it'd be time to savagely beat someone otherwise.

/me keeps this thread alive to see the ongoing reaction Smile

-HitScan

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The firsts episode was enjoyable. Smile I'll probably watch at least one more tonight, and then do a marathon this weekend. Razz

HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:
Or not! I got it in the mail today! Very Happy

However, the Session 3 disc was off the spindle and I can see some faint scratches. I hope it still plays fine, I'm not really interested in dicking around with trying to get it replaced...

If it does have some problems and they really are only minor scratches, you might check some local libraries. Some of them have DVD cleaning machines and if you're really nice about it they may do yours once. (they will probably take some persuading, because they won't want to do it for everyone all the time) We've got one and some of those things work magic* on discs. Or you could buy a DiscDr. and grind on it by hand, which is a gigantic PITA. Cheesy smile

*Granted, it's sandpaper and polishing compound magic, but it's oh so sweet, and there's no hand-buffing involved, which takes bloody ages.

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished watching Disc 1 (so that's the first five sessions). Most enjoyable. Smile

Onward!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: