Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Whither be the Longhorn for which mine lonely heart yearns?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OscarWilde
Unbearable Bliss of Ignorance
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaoloM wrote:
And there's apparently a whole lot more coming in Longhorn. For example: Transactional NTFS, new rendering/compositing engine, stacks (or smart folders, or whatever they call it this week), new TCP/IP stack (IPv6 native), the newly announced RSS platform, Project-M, etc etc Smile

Transactional NTFS? I guess I should google to understand that.
If developers are making a stink over Avalon which is a UI API (right?), why wouldn't the developers make a stink over the rendering/compositing engine not being made available to XP too?
New TCP/IP stack which has IPv6 native.... another google search on it's way.

Newly announced RSS platform... you mean a new way to develop, deliver and get RSS?

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and what is project m?

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
PaoloM
The King Of Crap
Captain
Captain

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
Interesting indeed. Makes sense then. How is XP going to get the new features? Service Pack?

I don't think it has been decided yet. I believe it will be distributed via Windows Update, as an extension to the .NET framewrok 2.0
Quote:
Then how is MS going to market Longhorn over XP SPx?

Longhorn is a new operating system. Avalon is an API. Smile
PaoloM
The King Of Crap
Captain
Captain

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
If developers are making a stink over Avalon which is a UI API (right?), why wouldn't the developers make a stink over the rendering/compositing engine not being made available to XP too?

Because the new engine requires fundamental changes in the display drivers architecture. Changes that are not gonna be backported to XP.
Quote:
Newly announced RSS platform... you mean a new way to develop, deliver and get RSS?

A set of classes to centralize the subscription and publishing of RSS feeds and events.
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for my ignorance, but how is Longhorn a new OS if the major touted marketed features are going to be available to XP as well?

Quote:
Because the new engine requires fundamental changes in the display drivers architecture. Changes that are not gonna be backported to XP.

Now this has me all confused. Avalon is an API MS was pimping, which is what developers wanted in XP and are getting. This new graphics engine in Longhorn (whatever it's called, but we'll call it StudlyOSGraphicsEngineWannabe, or SGEW*) will be a whole different beast. So what will be the API that works on top of SGEW? I thought Avalon was the UI that developers used to access the new rendering engine of Longhorn? IOW, what will the SGEW give to developers that Avalon won't give?

*Pronounced as 'sss-guuu'. Makes the girls notice** you when you say that out loud in a public place.
**What kinda notice you get depends on if you're a pimp or an ugly fat bastard.

PaoloM
The King Of Crap
Captain
Captain

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
Avalon is an API MS was pimping, which is what developers wanted in XP and are getting. This new graphics engine in Longhorn (whatever it's called, but we'll call it StudlyOSGraphicsEngineWannabe, or SGEW*) will be a whole different beast. So what will be the API that works on top of SGEW? I thought Avalon was the UI that developers used to access the new rendering engine of Longhorn? IOW, what will the SGEW give to developers that Avalon won't give?

Avalon is an API that will work on top of the current display infrastructure in XP, and on top of the new engine in Longhorn.

For example, on XP the boundary of an Avalon application is the window, created and managed with the current system. This means that GDI+ is doing all the work, the display will still be composited on screen and effects that go "out" of the application window will not be allowed.

On Longhorn, on the other hand, Avalon will span the entire desktop and it will be composited off screen and rendered directly from the graphic card.

The Avalon API will stay the same from a developer point of view, but the actual behaviour of the system will be very different.

Did I make any sense?
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, actually that does make sense. And you even anticipated a question I was going to ask, till I re-read your post and saw the answer. Smile

Edit: incase you were wondering, I was going to ask if WindowsXP windows limitation would be a limit itself on Avalon. So, IOW, not all Avalon features will be seen on XP.

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make things clear to myself: when you say that Avalon will span the entire desktop versus windows-only on xp, does it mean that if I had an app in Longhorn I could take the visible content within that app and make it 'dance' around the screen with relative ease via Avalon API? So I'm not limited to a defined space in Longhorn? (i'm basing this on the IDE and visual tools that I've used to build some simple apps before). How would the visual dev tool look like?

DuffMan
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaoloM wrote:
OscarWilde wrote:

To the average potential Longhorn customer, it's all the operating system
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuffMan wrote:
PaoloM wrote:
OscarWilde wrote:

To the average potential Longhorn customer, it's all the operating system
To the average potential Longhorn customer, Microsoft Office is the operating system.

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you how many people I've run into who are physically incapable of telling the difference between an Office 2000 CD and a Windows 2000 CD.

I know it's not something non-nerds would even want to know. But it bugs me.
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
I can't tell you how many people I've run into who are physically incapable of telling the difference between an Office 2000 CD and a Windows 2000 CD.

1:Ok, so you say your computer's acting funny. Do you know what version of Windows it's running?

2:Yeah, Microsoft! Snerd!

1:I hate this job.

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:

Or those that say, when you ask them what OS they have, say "Windows 2000 XP!"

BTW, I've introduced my coworkers to the concept of the "User Appreciation Bat." My manager loves the idea.

Gaah. I don’t tend to bother about slashdot, because quite frankly, the whole _point_ of slashdot is to have this big public wanking session with people getting together and making their own “insightful” comment on any random topic, whether they know anything about it or not. -- Linus Torvalds, 20 Aug 2005

I heard that even small amounts of smam are highly unstable. Like anti-matter, only with polka dots. -- Mord

I don't make up rumors, I just falsify them. -- HitScan

Pentium-M eats G4 alive so quickly that the G4 is still breathing when the P-M shits it out. End of story. -- Hat Monster
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbinger wrote:
Jeremy Reimer wrote:

Or those that say, when you ask them what OS they have, say "Windows 2000 XP!"

BTW, I've introduced my coworkers to the concept of the "User Appreciation Bat." My manager loves the idea.
That's a new name for an old tool ... LART.

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luser Appreciation Rectal Tool? Twisted Evil

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magus wrote:
Luser Appreciation Rectal Tool? Twisted Evil
LUser Attitude Readjustment Tool.

Supervillains for Linux!
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at August 3rd now. I think the graph lines of expected release and actual release are converging!

Supervillains for Linux!
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FondueDaredevil wrote:
Looking at August 3rd now.
That's next Wednesday mother-bitches!

Supervillains for Linux!
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huzzah! Smile

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
Feign
The Ruiner's a collector...
Commander
Commander

sweden.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magus wrote:
Huzzah! Smile

I fucking love your avatar.

Just finished the movie earlier this evening (series was Sunday night) and I must say CB is a killer anime. I was reserved at first, but the first two episodes cured me of that. Wink

Shout out to Hitsmam for the borrowfication of all seven discs. Cool

Anywho, Vista this, Vista that...whoops! Can't name it Vista! Teehee.

They probly aren't that worried about selling the PS2 kits in particular, and know that unless there is footage of them grinding up babies for use in the PS3 they'll always sell a hojillion of whatever the fuck they make. - Hitscan on the PS3

(on smoking...) Two later in the night because I can't seem to take a shit without needing the nicotine to relax my ass muscles or some such deal. So took a shit too. - Oscarwilde on smoking

Yea and he said unto the masses "Jet behaveth as ass" and so it was. - Hitscan on Exchange

OSY Image Uploader - Use it, you bitches!
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed it, Feign. Smile

You've finished it then, I assume? If not, rest assured it keeps up the pace the whole way. Smile

-HitScan

MasterOfTheHat
Commander
Commander

Location: In a galaxy far, far, far, far, really really far away...

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feign wrote:
Anywho, Vista this, Vista that...whoops! Can't name it Vista! Teehee.

Why in the crap did they pick such a cheesy name? Oh well... I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.

Someone told me, though that it was supposed to hit MSDN sometime today.
Anyone else heard that?

EDIT: Looks like it was just product keys and he lied to me...
http://www.activewin.com/awin/comments.asp?HeadlineIndex=30856&Group=1

For my fellow OSYers - You know you're addicted to programming when:"The people you respect most you have never physically seen or spoken to, but you always bow to their knowledge."

*Quantum physics texts are an excellent source of 100% of the recommended daily alowance of "WTF!?!" - HitScan

support.microsoft's cause for a 0x0000007f STOP error:
"• Your computer has hardware or software problems. "
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because marketing people picked the name instead of geeks?

-HitScan

FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FondueDaredevil wrote:
FondueDaredevil wrote:
Looking at August 3rd now.
That's next Wednesday mother-bitches!
Well, looks like I can download it now! 2.4GB ... Surprised

Supervillains for Linux!
Feign
The Ruiner's a collector...
Commander
Commander

sweden.gif
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magus wrote:
Glad you enjoyed it, Feign. Smile

You've finished it then, I assume? If not, rest assured it keeps up the pace the whole way. Smile

Oh yes, I actually watched an hour of the movie before jumping into the series. I was mesmerized for that hour, that's why it took me so long to stop watching it.

Loved all the episodes, espeically the fridge episode. Dance!

They probly aren't that worried about selling the PS2 kits in particular, and know that unless there is footage of them grinding up babies for use in the PS3 they'll always sell a hojillion of whatever the fuck they make. - Hitscan on the PS3

(on smoking...) Two later in the night because I can't seem to take a shit without needing the nicotine to relax my ass muscles or some such deal. So took a shit too. - Oscarwilde on smoking

Yea and he said unto the masses "Jet behaveth as ass" and so it was. - Hitscan on Exchange

OSY Image Uploader - Use it, you bitches!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: