Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

So I simply said "Fuck It"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: So I simply said "Fuck It" Reply with quote

I made an effort to go without Office 2000, since I have an illegitimate copy of it.

I used Open Office. I had absolutely no problems with it. ('twas a little slow to load, but that didn't bug me). What killed me was going from Outlook 2000 back to Outlook Express. Did you know that unless Office is installed, there is no spell check in OE??? Fucking ridiculous.

As I type this, I am reinstalling my copy of Office 2000. I have removed Open Office, although I will not forget it. I will definitately use it again sometime.

All of the above was an effort to go Warez free. Well, on this box I decided to say "fuck it". This desktop is a PII 400. Runs great with 512MB of ram. It has hit its ceiling with Windows 2000. I won't run XP on it (for a variety of reasons, performance not really being an issue...there are two technical fubars....a floppy drive issue and my sound card), so I have rationalized this in my head:

I will run Windows 2000, Office 2000, and whatever else I want on this one box. All of my other boxes (My servers and my soon to be purchased laptop) will all be legit. (Either linux or OEM software)

As I write this, I sort of like this idea. Its sort of like giving myself a cheat day when I am training/dieting for my rugby season. If I don't have one day a week where I can eat junk, I will fucking kill myself. Same goes here, I have decided to give myself one machine to run "evaluation" software on.

There. All better.

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pay for all my stolen Microsoft software when they give me the $50 they owe me for my manufacturer's rebate on my Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro 2 which they refused to honor, and not a second sooner. Razz

I'm not a big Microsoft fan. I do love Office though, and XP. Oh and IE. Very Happy
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just venting a little. I figured that if I limited myself to free software only, it would reduce my options so that most software decisions would be no brainers and I would have the side effect of being "legit".

FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, I have Office 97 for my desktop (courtesy of a previous employer) and my laptop had MS Works (oxymoron) 2002 bundled. I prefer WordPerfect but I'm getting used to MS Office.

For email, I've been using Outlook for home and Mozilla for IMAP. Don't ask why, it's silly.

I think the only software I've ever warez'd were games and Winzip and that was may moons ago back in college .. I used to de-nag shareware/nagware for cash on the side.

FD

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buncha pirates. Surprised Razz

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
rb26dett
Petty Officer 2nd class
Petty Officer 2nd class

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you buy MS Outlook as a stand-alone package?

Don't rely on the bloody spellchecker. Learn to spell words correctly Razz
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Outlook 97 on a standalone CD (I actually have one). I have never seen Outlook 2000 or XP on its own disk, but I'm sure they exist. I have seen individual boxed copies of almost every Office app in Staples.
I actually kind of like Outlook 97, and I suppose I could use that if I had to.

Winzip I have always de-nagged. I love it so much I can't hardly live without it.

Its just little frustrating things that bug me. Thats why I moved back to Outlook. And why have two office suites installed? They want me to use Office, I'll use Office (for now).

Outlook != Outlook Express.

When I get another computer, my Windows 2000 desktop will likely get wiped and get relegated to server duty anyhow.

And when I buy that new computer (laptop), I am going to make every effort to not purchase ANY bundled software. They only things I am willing to give on are the OS (Prolly Windows XP Pro) and Office (XP). That's it. I want nothing else bundled. The other thing I won't take is an OEM recovery CD. If the vendor won't give me install disks, I'm going elsewhere. I realize this cuts my choices quite a bit, but I am not some "luser" that needs his hand held. Its entirely possible that I won't even boot the OEM install and simply wipe the frickin thing as soon as I get it.

These fucking OEM agreements are actually encouraging software piracy, because there's no way I am going to use an OEM recovery disk. Not in a million freakin years. I will be happily licensed and use a cracked copy if I have to.

Does a vendor like this exist? I don't know. Stay tuned.

Socrates
Captain
Captain

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all the bad stuff about ms email stuff, I like Eudora. Free, and with only one annoying add box.

Works great.

I actually buy legal copies of OS 2000, and put the MSFT people in shock, since they sent me only one the first time, when I had two bad disks.

I'm just waiting for the class action law suit of all time. 30 bucks to replace a defective CD, often caused by MSFT's fucking privacy, non-copying weak sector crap?

Let's see. That's 25 bucks for every poor person that has to get another CD...

s
PaoloM
The King Of Crap
Captain
Captain

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Socrates wrote:
I'm just waiting for the class action law suit of all time. 30 bucks to replace a defective CD, often caused by MSFT's fucking privacy, non-copying weak sector crap?

Let's see. That's 25 bucks for every poor person that has to get another CD...

s

You're talking about the Windows 2000 CDs?
Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rb26dett wrote:
Can you buy MS Outlook as a stand-alone package?

Yup.

Quote:
Don't rely on the bloody spellchecker. Learn to spell words correctly Razz

That's always been my plan. Of course, when I started 'word processing' on computers, we didn't have spell checkers. Wink [Commodore 64, BTW]

Gaah. I don’t tend to bother about slashdot, because quite frankly, the whole _point_ of slashdot is to have this big public wanking session with people getting together and making their own “insightful” comment on any random topic, whether they know anything about it or not. -- Linus Torvalds, 20 Aug 2005

I heard that even small amounts of smam are highly unstable. Like anti-matter, only with polka dots. -- Mord

I don't make up rumors, I just falsify them. -- HitScan

Pentium-M eats G4 alive so quickly that the G4 is still breathing when the P-M shits it out. End of story. -- Hat Monster
Socrates
Captain
Captain

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paolo:
I'm talking about any operating system cd, that due to an attempt to stop people from copying it, results in a disk that doesn't work, and needs to be replaced.

I've had two of about 6 os cd's that files would not copy from, and, that were defective from first use.

I suspect this is due to trying to make the sectors hard to read, and therefore, impossible to copy.

In other words, making it impossible to make a legal copy to use for installing, protecting your original, requiring you to pay 30 bucks for a new one, after shipping, or selling you, a defective copy.

s
DrPizza
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm talking about any operating system cd, that due to an attempt to stop people from copying it, results in a disk that doesn't work, and needs to be replaced.

I didn't think they did any such thing.
,91^c||(v=*p?main(-1,v+1),v-1:main(0,v)),++v);else for(;c+=!(91^*v)-!(93^*v)
;++v);return v;} /*     brainf*** program as argv[1] */

<DigitalFury>please don't use any of my quotes as sigs at osy.</DigitalFury>
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking XP.

Very stable.

As stable as Arsers make it out to be? No way. Stable though, nontheless.

MUCH more stable than 98.

I owe that piece of mind to longmarch.

Very Happy

All my software is legit...for now. Not that I've never not used warez before but things are simply easier when you have the CDs, ya know? :/
Evil Merlin
Yaaawwwnnnn, streeechhhh....
Commodore
Commodore

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really liking XP and .Net.

As of yet, even thru all the Beta's I have yet to blue screen XP. I killed it once however when I was removing a Beta of SP1.

Other than that, it's something no other OS has done for me yet...
Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as there is an OS that can perform oral sex upon me, I'm switching. No questions asked.

At that point, I won't even care if there is no software available for it.

Gaah. I don’t tend to bother about slashdot, because quite frankly, the whole _point_ of slashdot is to have this big public wanking session with people getting together and making their own “insightful” comment on any random topic, whether they know anything about it or not. -- Linus Torvalds, 20 Aug 2005

I heard that even small amounts of smam are highly unstable. Like anti-matter, only with polka dots. -- Mord

I don't make up rumors, I just falsify them. -- HitScan

Pentium-M eats G4 alive so quickly that the G4 is still breathing when the P-M shits it out. End of story. -- Hat Monster
longmarch
Estate Bottled
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbinger wrote:
As soon as there is an OS that can perform oral sex upon me, I'm switching. No questions asked.

At that point, I won't even care if there is no software available for it.

Now that would be worth warezing if budget didn't permit lawful acquisition!

Madan: Glad you like XP. Agree it isn't as stable as some claim, but very stable nonetheless. 2k is nice too.
jdsmith575
I drank the Kool-Aid
Commodore
Commodore

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do NOT cancel while installing the XP SP1. It will fuxor your install.
"I learned something really important in college today. I don't want to be there." - King of the Hill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: