Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

JR: Flood control is against the true spirit of OSY

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Socrates
Captain
Captain

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: JR: Flood control is against the true spirit of OSY Reply with quote

Turn the shit off...
s
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hilarious thing is that PeterB said the same thing...

I think it's okay the way it is. Helps catch double posts and the like..
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
longmarch
Estate Bottled
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
The hilarious thing is that PeterB said the same thing...

I think it's okay the way it is. Helps catch double posts and the like..

Indeed. Especially as my connection to OSY is now so slow I have to lean on the feckin' submit button about forty-thousand times to keep my posts from being lost in the ether.

This is only a problem with OSY, and only in the last few weeks. I wonder if it's a Shaw thing. On the other hand, things are slightly (but not entirely) better from work.
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed it can be sluggish here, but when I learned that the forum runs on JRs desktop, then that pretty much answered my question.

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Shaw thing. I'm not supposed to be running a web server or hosting forums or the like. According to Shaw, I'm not even supposed to be doing anything.

But it's cheap and it works (kind of) and it keeps OSY free and available, so there you go.
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flood Control also is a way to stop frontpage owning, which is very annoying.

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck Shaw. I run a web server and have a router behind which more than one computer has access *gasp*.

I'm not into downloading movies much, maybe some MP3s, the odd warez (very little). Bottom line is, I just don't use much bandwidth.

As long as I'm not doing anything stupid (like running a p2p supernode or warez ftp or some such), Shaw won't even notice me.

And JR, they probably won't even care about you either, unless you've already attracted some attention........

Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They phoned me up a couple of months ago and DEMANDED to know why I had downloaded 40 gigs and UPLOADED 41 gigs in the last month.

I told them they were on crack, as at the time I had only a 20 gig HD with 1 gig free and OSY traffic was nowhere close to that amount of bandwidth, not by several orders of magnitude.

They replied that I could either fix the problem or they would cut me off.

I told them I would look into it.

If they call me one more time, EVER, I'm moving to Telus DSL.
-- Carl Sagan

Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do the same.

Shaw called up a friend of mine the other day. His roommate, who just moved in, downloaded something like 50GB of data in one month (movies). Shaw sent a letter asking them to stop. My friend quoted their agreement that said something about no limit to downloads. They replied with price quotes for business service and re-iterated their message.

Fucking ISPs. But we have it damn good compared to most places in the states though. My broadband cable costs me just over $30CDN per month.

FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
They phoned me up a couple of months ago and DEMANDED to know why I had downloaded 40 gigs and UPLOADED 41 gigs in the last month.

I told them they were on crack, as at the time I had only a 20 gig HD with 1 gig free and OSY traffic was nowhere close to that amount of bandwidth, not by several orders of magnitude.

Maybe someone haxxored your gibson? I would check, just-in-case.

FD

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FondueDaredevil wrote:
Jeremy Reimer wrote:

Maybe someone haxxored your gibson? I would check, just-in-case.

FD

I think JR said that, at the time, it was because he had LimeWire or some P2P file sharing app installed, and people were sucking his bandwidth.

Gaah. I don’t tend to bother about slashdot, because quite frankly, the whole _point_ of slashdot is to have this big public wanking session with people getting together and making their own “insightful” comment on any random topic, whether they know anything about it or not. -- Linus Torvalds, 20 Aug 2005

I heard that even small amounts of smam are highly unstable. Like anti-matter, only with polka dots. -- Mord

I don't make up rumors, I just falsify them. -- HitScan

Pentium-M eats G4 alive so quickly that the G4 is still breathing when the P-M shits it out. End of story. -- Hat Monster
Socrates
Captain
Captain

blank.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought Pacbell was fucked...
Mad
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My broadband cable costs me just over $30CDN per month.

You're all ass-plows. I just thought you'd like to know. Very Happy

(The particular area of IN that I live in should probably see broadband around the year 2055. Grr.)

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Lurch
dubious honour-taker
Commander
Commander

canada.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that Telus are even worse than Shaw. Let's face it, cable companies have a relatively flat pricing structure compared to the Telcos. I have friends that are getting jerked around because the ADSL cup has runneth over and Telus are keen to rack up the fees. While Shaw are far from perfect, last month I did 17 GB down and 2 GB up and they haven't said a thing.
Colby Cosh - "Evidently America is now a place where people send their pre-teen sons to be deliberately arrested--in the name of the principle that parents invariably make good, responsible, caring decisions for their children."
HitScan - There's lies, damned lies, and "Pepsi is great."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: