Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Well, I had better get this off my chest.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrPizza
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madan wrote:
I'm aware that you can but the problem is, if I give you an IP today and tomorrow it's something else, will you be able to reach the site unless I CONSTANTLY give you a "heads up" about the IP?

If you give me an IP address, I'll forget it /anyway/.

If you instead tell me "madan.dyndns.org" it'll work perpetually and I'll actually remember it.

Quote:
I know. But I expected 66%-76% of the "top speed". Somewhere around 1mbps...not HALF of what they promise is a top speed.

You may have expected it, but they don't have to deliver it. They never promised you'd actually see that speed on a regular basis; it only has to happen once for a split second for them to be correct.

Quote:
If you buy a car that is "supposed" to drive at 180mph and it, in fact moves at 150/130mph, you'll be pissed but not enormously. If, in fact, the car only moves at 90mph, you'll be profoundly pissed.

If the reason for its inability to go that fast is the amount of traffic around, I wouldn't be pissed at all.

Quote:
Because I have friends on 2k and 98 that are getting pings of 250. Not great to be sure but, on average, about 150 below mine.

If 2K can get pings of 250 you'll have to give me a damn good reason for XP to be unable of such a feat.

Quote:
I've also seen XP complaints about Quake III. Most likely, as Jeremy said, they didn't optimize Arena for XP but, again, I don't see why they should. After all, everyone touts that XP is almost as good as 98 for games...

They don't have to "optimize" it for XP. To be honest, I don't think that such a thing is possible, other than avoiding using pipes, which they won't be using anyway.

Quote:
Bullshit.

!!

You've seen dial-up at 750 kbit/sec? Where?! Federal communications regulations limit it to 53 kbit/sec or so.

Quote:
On snailband AOL, my ping was 725. Never higher. I've had dialup jockeys wax my ass because my ping MAXES OUT at 999 ceilings.

And your ping on broadband is lower, apparently, so what on earth is your problem?

Quote:
You can't "smoke" any dialup user if your ping and latency are 33% higher than theirs. :rolleyes:

Speak for yourself.

Quote:
Fuck you. If you can whine like a bitch about FPS being unacceptable at 40FPS, I can bitch about unplayable ping levels.

When have I done any such thing? I regularly game online with pings of 300 ms (that's what comes of playing on US servers) -- it's not an insurmountable problem.

Quote:
At 350 ping, you're getting a connection loss of over 60%.

Er... what?

Ping time and packet loss are quite unrelated.

Quote:
That means I'm a fucking tree more than half the time.

Go blow yourself.

Boo hoo.
,91^c||(v=*p?main(-1,v+1),v-1:main(0,v)),++v);else for(;c+=!(91^*v)-!(93^*v)
;++v);return v;} /*     brainf*** program as argv[1] */

<DigitalFury>please don't use any of my quotes as sigs at osy.</DigitalFury>
Socrates
Captain
Captain

blank.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madan, at least you have a chest, unlike Ensign Roe...
s
Twisted Evil
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrPizza wrote:
I regularly game online with pings of 300 ms (that's what comes of playing on US servers) -- it's not an insurmountable problem.

That's weak. I ping 200 to US servers.

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

300 ms is a ping == tree.

You can't play Arena with that. Period.

If PeterB had a clue and pulled his head out of his ass and actually PLAYED Arena online, he'd know that...
DrPizza
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madan wrote:
300 ms is a ping == tree.

You can't play Arena with that. Period.

Maybe you can't, but I'm sure others manage it.

It doesn't "== tree". The tendency to get stuck in one place is a function of packet loss, not ping or latency.

Quote:
If PeterB had a clue and pulled his head out of his ass and actually PLAYED Arena online, he'd know that...

Why on earth would I want to play Q3A? It has no single player of which to speak, and relatively uninteresting multiplayer. Play SoF2 or something like that.
,91^c||(v=*p?main(-1,v+1),v-1:main(0,v)),++v);else for(;c+=!(91^*v)-!(93^*v)
;++v);return v;} /*     brainf*** program as argv[1] */

<DigitalFury>please don't use any of my quotes as sigs at osy.</DigitalFury>
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q3 sucks above 50 ping, and HL sucks above 150 ping.

Less ping == better

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, play on a LAN, that's the best way, see and kill your friends in the same room!

We had many a happy hour at EA playing Counterstrike that way. Of course those were the only happy hours at EA, but still...
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: