Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Quotes that make you go... WTF?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Quotes that make you go... WTF? Reply with quote

I was reading in Software Colloquium today and came across this thread, in which MWNH says this:

Quote:
I don't use WinXP and I won't buy it since I'm using Win2k and thus consider WinXP to be a mere Service Pack, but as a Win9x replacement; it's worth its price.

A few things crossed my mind when I read this...
- He is unaware of/purposefully ignoring benefits, such as ClearType
- "This, from a guy who bought a CUBE when it was new, and advocates big iron?!"

I just had to shake my head. Could be that I'm in a pissy mood, I dunno.

Please feel free to comment on the quote, or to add your own (thus lending some perpetuity to the thread).

Gaah. I don’t tend to bother about slashdot, because quite frankly, the whole _point_ of slashdot is to have this big public wanking session with people getting together and making their own “insightful” comment on any random topic, whether they know anything about it or not. -- Linus Torvalds, 20 Aug 2005

I heard that even small amounts of smam are highly unstable. Like anti-matter, only with polka dots. -- Mord

I don't make up rumors, I just falsify them. -- HitScan

Pentium-M eats G4 alive so quickly that the G4 is still breathing when the P-M shits it out. End of story. -- Hat Monster

Last edited by Harbinger on Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that MWNH stated (and refused to admit he was wrong) that Windows 9x had no memory protection OR pre-emptive multitasking.

Big Eek

If Infopop's search function actually worked, I'd find the thread. It was last year sometime I think. Win9x has limited memory protection, it's true, but it's TOTALLY WRONG to say that it has no memory protection. Win32 apps are fully protected from other Win32 apps. And saying that it has no PMT was just... What the fuck?

But again, this is MWNH we're talking about here, the man who thinks PCs are just "toys" for "PC bunnies" and Real Men use Big Iron. Rolling Eyes
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. XP es MUCHO mas bonito que 2k.

B. Win 98 no tiene memoria protejida completa. Win 98, por admitencia de Microsoft tiene memoria protejida "parcial" y, ni la mayoria de la memoria tiene guardia effectiva.

C. MWNH tiene much dinero y puede comprar un Apple Cube si quiere...

D. Ciao.

<j>
Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had I retained any of my HS Spanish, I might have been able to comprehend anything after the first sentence. Well, I understand the first half of C but my vocabulary no longer includes the verb "puede."

And shouldn't D be "adios" instead? Wink

Vaya con cajones.

Gaah. I don’t tend to bother about slashdot, because quite frankly, the whole _point_ of slashdot is to have this big public wanking session with people getting together and making their own “insightful” comment on any random topic, whether they know anything about it or not. -- Linus Torvalds, 20 Aug 2005

I heard that even small amounts of smam are highly unstable. Like anti-matter, only with polka dots. -- Mord

Pentium-M eats G4 alive so quickly that the G4 is still breathing when the P-M shits it out. End of story. -- Hat Monster
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Quotes that make you go... WTF? Reply with quote

Harbinger wrote:
... - He is unaware of/purposefully ignoring benefits, such as ClearType ...
As nice as it is, ClearType is not a compelling reason to switch over to XP.

Also, there is nothing wrong with advocating Big Iron.

On the other hand, buying a CUBE right when it came out is pure stupidity. Surprised

FD

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Quotes that make you go... WTF? Reply with quote

FondueDaredevil wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
... - He is unaware of/purposefully ignoring benefits, such as ClearType ...
As nice as it is, ClearType is not a compelling reason to switch over to XP.

I was merely using it as an example of one of what I consider to be a Good Thing that XP has over 2K; and for me personally, it's important (that's why it was the first to come to mind).

Quote:
Also, there is nothing wrong with advocating Big Iron.

I didn't mean to imply otherwise; rather, I was trying to show that he has no worries about spending much moolah but still says he wouldn't purchase XP (which can be as low as $89US off the shelf, barring any special deals).

Quote:
On the other hand, buying a CUBE right when it came out is pure stupidity. Surprised

On that point, I wholeheartedly concur.

Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you surprised? That quote is typical MWNH arrogant ignorance.

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
jdsmith575
I drank the Kool-Aid
Commodore
Commodore

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a nice one:
"UNIX and Linux are the same thing." - my roommate

I gave him a severe beating and am now in county.
"I learned something really important in college today. I don't want to be there." - King of the Hill
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In many South/Central/Caribean-Spanish-speaking nations(as well as parts of Spain), "ciao" can mean "hello" or "goodbye".

Hello, sometimes is also known as "cubo", like in Cuba.

Which, frighteningly enough, sounds like "cube".

I'll let you draw your own conclusions...
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdsmith:
Linux is a unix-like OS, according to the Penguins.

Madan:
I thought "ciao" was Italian? Confused

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

"I'm even l33ter with PS."

It's true. I am.

Quote:

A. XP es MUCHO mas bonito que 2k.

I'm guessing you're saying XP is much better than 2k, or something.

Quote:

B. Win 98 no tiene memoria protejida completa. Win 98, por admitencia de Microsoft tiene memoria protejida "parcial" y, ni la mayoria de la memoria tiene guardia effectiva.

Something about Win98's memory protection being incomplete, partial. Well, duh. Incomplete is not the same as non-existent.

Quote:

C. MWNH tiene much dinero y puede comprar un Apple Cube si quiere...

MWNH spent lots of money on a Cube... ??

Quote:

D. Ciao.

Bye!
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
jdsmith575
I drank the Kool-Aid
Commodore
Commodore

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Linux is a unix-like OS" <> "UNIX and Linux are the same thing."

And then I bitch slapped him.
"I learned something really important in college today. I don't want to be there." - King of the Hill
longmarch
Estate Bottled
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magus wrote:
I thought "ciao" was Italian? Confused

Yet in many of the Latin-based languages and in many of the countires which speak them, it is slang or even common usage. In Argentina, for instance, where a good portion of the population is of Italian descent, "ciao" is common usage, and it is frequently heard in France as slang or affectation.
Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back OT:

I read today where RiscRocket claimed that OSX is a brand new OS written from scratch.

Some Mac users responded with, essentially, "WTF are you talking about?"

I'm back momentarily from my 'net sabbatical. May be back after the weekend.

Thundar
Insert Custom Title Here
Commodore
Commodore

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay!

MasterOfTheHat wrote:
Well, if you'd quit sacrificing the virgins and screwing the livestock, you wouldn't be in such a predicament!

if you are wondering what smam is, just stick around, it is more a sort of zen than something that a mere definition with mortal words cannot comprehend. You will get the picture of what smam is in short order. It will change your life! -Smamta Clause
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I read today where RiscRocket claimed that OSX is a brand new OS written from scratch.

Some Mac users responded with, essentially, "WTF are you talking about?"

Yes, and someone else suggested he should perhaps search my detailed reports on Rhapsody, Openstep and OSX which explains exactly what was carried over from each operating system (Rhapsody, for one, is virtually identical to Openstep 4.2)

It seems that, in RiscRocket's case, that no amount of education can possibly overcome his stupidity.

And that sums up much of the Battlefront as well. <sigh>
-- Carl Sagan

Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question. Parts of OSX are built off of Nix, to be sure.

Is Aqua new or recycled, though? It's new right?

And another question: I've noticed that MS XP's GDI+ doesn't have vector support for images, like X. It seems to be more of a traditional OS UI, ala 2k with ClearType grafted on top. Is this true?

Thanks.
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bits of Aqua are new. The bitmaps are new (the sort of thing I can duplicate in 5 minutes in Photoshop) Transparencies, shadows, etc were added. The user interface was changed from Rhapsody.

If we're talking Quartz, the display layer was changed from Display Postcript to Display PDF, which involved a rewrite to avoid Adobe proprietary code. Postcript and PDF are virtually identical-- this was a clever thing done by Adobe to leverage their enormous Postcript investment in the new web world.

Obviously there was quite a lot of work put into turning Openstep into OSX. However, there was even more work put into turning Windows NT 3.1 into Windows XP. A lot more.

Windows XP is NT 5.1, although I would have called it 5.5 or even 6.0.

OSX is, if anything, Openstep 6.2 for PPC. Openstep was always designed to be able to add on different APIs, although until OSX they always stuck with the same NeXTstep one, which is now called Cocoa even if all the API calls do still begin with NS. Adding Carbon was just a matter of adding a new API based loosely on the old crappy MacOS one(easy to do given the structure of Openstep/OSX) and Classic is just a big fat emulator running a copy of OS9 in a window.
-- Carl Sagan

Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
Yes, and someone else suggested he should perhaps search my detailed reports on Rhapsody, Openstep and OSX which explains exactly what was carried over from each operating system (Rhapsody, for one, is virtually identical to Openstep 4.2)

It seems that, in RiscRocket's case, that no amount of education can possibly overcome his stupidity.

Yeah, now your posts on the subject are your "opinion." I didn't realize that suddenly (in the RR Bizarro universe) that history is now "opinion." Who'd have thought? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
And that sums up much of the Battlefront as well. <sigh>

Sad but true. Thankfully I've been kept so busy at work that I haven't had to avoid or boycott the BF. I haven't been getting the entertainment value out of it that I used to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: