Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Linux: for the discerning supervillain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Linux: for the discerning supervillain Reply with quote

As is typical with most stuff like this that I post, I'm probably 10-15 behind the curve and everyone else has seen it already. If so, enjoy it again.

http://www.nata2.info/humor/flash/switchlinux3.swf

In other news, the balance of power has shifted in my household as my ex-laptop cum kitchen computer has been wiped and I plan to re-install its OEM copy of Windows. Linux ran fine on it, but running "emerge world" only to have both the wireless card and integrated sound completely break due to changes in the software is a bit too much for me. I made a token effort at repairing them, but I refuse to fix the problems more on principal than anything else.

There's still a chance for an install of Ubuntu or Fedora as long as the floppy boot slash network install procedure works as advertised (as the DVD ROM is borked in it). But most likely I'll just do a networked install of Windows XP and be done with the bloody thing. Besides, I want to see if WoW will run on it. (It's doubtful, despite being a Celeron 1.8Ghz, the video card is a Radeon Mobility but only 16MB of RAM).

On the bright side, the track pad is working again, once again making it a viable laptop (although nearly 3 years old). I had thought that it too had fallen to hardware malfunction (it was not working and I couldn't fix the bloody thing). Guess I'll just chalk it up to another linux problem (probably of the Gentoo variety as well).

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm regretting the way I partitioned my laptop's disk. 20G for Windows, 40G for Linux... so much out of space on Windows I've had to turn hibernation off*, so much free space on Linux I can't even touch the sides.

*What is the deal with the size of hiberfil.sys? It makes a file the size of my RAM, so two gigs, which doesn't help, but I swear it doesn't use all of it since it used to hibernate way faster than that would imply. Does NTFS have sparse-file support where bits of files you don't actually use don't take up space? It would be nice. I suppose it might be the end of the world if you ran out of battery and it couldn't hibernate but STILL.

OTOH it took me an entire day to figure out how to get Linux to even sleep and I have to kill my X server and it breaks hotplugging, and I can't hibernate to disk because I don't have any swap partitions. Oops.

Last edited by lewis on Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
OscarWilde
Unbearable Bliss of Ignorance
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewis wrote:
OTOH it took me an entire day to figure out how to get Linux to even sleep and I have to kill my X server and it breaks hotplugging, and I can't hibernate to disk because I don't have any swap paritions. Oops.

What. The. Fuck. Is Linux still that hard to use properly?

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidently.

I am using slackware-current, but equally I do somewhat know what I'm doing.

nVIDIA's drivers allegedly support sleeping but I couldn't get it to work. In fact I panicked the kernel several times trying.
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
lewis wrote:
OTOH it took me an entire day to figure out how to get Linux to even sleep and I have to kill my X server and it breaks hotplugging, and I can't hibernate to disk because I don't have any swap paritions. Oops.

What. The. Fuck. Is Linux still that hard to use properly?

OW, IME sleep and standby is the single most frustrating thing to configure on linux. Harder than configuring the kernel (whihc admittedly is pretty easy nowadays), and more finicky than hotplugging USB with proper user permissions or configuring a wireless G card with the WPA supplicant.

In short, it fucking sucks, I have a rough idea of why its in such a sorry state, but still believe there is no excuse for it. I have gotten it to work on a few laptops, but its not easy, and takes lots of tweaking to get the way you want.

In my household, its linux on the server, or dual booting for a network cracking dog of war, and that's it. Its just too frustrating for proper mobile devices.

And because Linux takes so long to boot (it doesn't cheat like Windows does and let you in while stuff is still starting), sleep/standby is mandatory IMO.

lewis, I have a Pentium II laptop with a 100GB HDD. I partitioned 80GB for Windows. Very Happy

lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Linux setup boots to a console login in 14 seconds.

GNOME takes a fucking age to haul its bloated ass off disk, but you don't have to start that, depending on what you're doing, so I can be checking mail in 20 seconds.
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. DOS boots in seconds... Very Happy

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magus wrote:
So. DOS boots in seconds... Very Happy

Man, the Tandy 102 I'm about to buy* is done booting before the LCD hits full brightness. Fast as the blazes! Very Happy

*As soon as it's surplused, I'm grabbin that sucker up for the cheap. They're neat. Smile

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well pencil, paper, and books don't even have power buttons!
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewis wrote:
Well pencil, paper, and books don't even have power buttons!
Yeah but you have to turn the pages. And click to advance the lead from the pencil. Don't even get me started on wood pencils.

FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux: for the discerning supervillain Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
As is typical with most stuff like this that I post, I'm probably 10-15 behind the curve and everyone else has seen it already. If so, enjoy it again...
Hello, it's been in my sig for over six months. Very Happy

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
AllYorBaseRBelong2Us
Infernal Smam Lord
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Location: Gaurding the toenail clipper bag that holds you all!

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supersmamillian?
super arch-smvillian?
smamvillian?

AYB can't seem to integrate that term into the smam, help!

Surprised
This and other statistics can be culled from Jeremy Reimer's Personal Computer Market Share: 1975-2002, a very impressive piece of information gathering. The numbers tell some very interesting stories.
- http://lowendmac.com/musings/03/0131.html

Man, I need to get out more. You know smam is getting to you when you go to a canadian restaurant and start wondering about moose cock. -OscarWilde Smile
Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Linux: for the discerning supervillain Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
... once again making it a viable laptop (although nearly 3 years old).

Laughing Ha! All mine are at least 6 years old! Razz

Gaah. I don’t tend to bother about slashdot, because quite frankly, the whole _point_ of slashdot is to have this big public wanking session with people getting together and making their own “insightful” comment on any random topic, whether they know anything about it or not. -- Linus Torvalds, 20 Aug 2005

I heard that even small amounts of smam are highly unstable. Like anti-matter, only with polka dots. -- Mord

I don't make up rumors, I just falsify them. -- HitScan

Pentium-M eats G4 alive so quickly that the G4 is still breathing when the P-M shits it out. End of story. -- Hat Monster
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My laptop is five years old, and it's a Mac, which adds an extra 2-3 years to its agedness right there. Very Happy
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
My laptop is five years old, and it's a Mac, which adds an extra 2-3 years to its agedness right there. Very Happy

Man, that means that my Mac Portable was made in the 1800's! No wonder it won't boot right anymore.

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Mac Portable was steam-powered, no?
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: