Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Soo... anyone else watching the Super Bowl besides me?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thundar
Insert Custom Title Here
Commodore
Commodore

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Soo... anyone else watching the Super Bowl besides me? Reply with quote

Steelers, 37-27.

MasterOfTheHat wrote:
Well, if you'd quit sacrificing the virgins and screwing the livestock, you wouldn't be in such a predicament!

if you are wondering what smam is, just stick around, it is more a sort of zen than something that a mere definition with mortal words cannot comprehend. You will get the picture of what smam is in short order. It will change your life! -Smamta Clause
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Imitation Gruel
Flames of Destruction
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Super Bowl prediction:

I predict that I will watch not one single minute of the game.

"How delightful it would be to converse intimately with someone of the same mind, sharing with him the pleasures of uninhibited conversation on the amusing and foolish things of this world, but such friends are hard to find." -- Kenko Yoshida, Essays In Idleness
DuffMan
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predict at least one of the Rolling Stones will pass away during the half time show.
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I watched my first Superbowl in about 10 years.

I was surprised that the Stones put on a pretty good show. I mean considering they are like 150 years old.

I feel a little disappointed that Seattle lost.

I miss the days when they showed boobies at half-time.
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:

I was surprised that the Stones put on a pretty good show. I mean considering they are like 150 years old.

I miss the day when they showed a boobie at half-time.

FTFY Wink

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Thundar
Insert Custom Title Here
Commodore
Commodore

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:

I miss the days when they showed boobies at half-time.

I probably would have just shot myself if either Mick Jagger or Aretha Franklin would've had a wardrobe malfunction.

MasterOfTheHat wrote:
Well, if you'd quit sacrificing the virgins and screwing the livestock, you wouldn't be in such a predicament!

if you are wondering what smam is, just stick around, it is more a sort of zen than something that a mere definition with mortal words cannot comprehend. You will get the picture of what smam is in short order. It will change your life! -Smamta Clause
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught a bit of the game.

I think the 4th quarter no fumble call on the Seattle quarterback was bullshit and it reminded me of why I rarely watch NFL games. I mean is this what the game has turned into? "OMG he was touched BRIEFLY ON THE WAY TO THE GROUND! No fumble!"

I'm happy for Jerome Bettis. Regardless of what kind of person he is, if anyone deserves a Superbowl Ring after 15 years of running through linemen, its him.

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
AllYorBaseRBelong2Us
Infernal Smam Lord
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Location: Gaurding the toenail clipper bag that holds you all!

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially since very few Running backs last 10 years in the NFL.
This and other statistics can be culled from Jeremy Reimer's Personal Computer Market Share: 1975-2002, a very impressive piece of information gathering. The numbers tell some very interesting stories.
- http://lowendmac.com/musings/03/0131.html

Man, I need to get out more. You know smam is getting to you when you go to a canadian restaurant and start wondering about moose cock. -OscarWilde Smile
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllYorBaseRBelong2Us wrote:
Especially since very few Running backs last 10 years in the NFL.

Quoted for great truth.

Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think the 4th quarter no fumble call on the Seattle quarterback was bullshit and it reminded me of why I rarely watch NFL games. I mean is this what the game has turned into? "OMG he was touched BRIEFLY ON THE WAY TO THE GROUND! No fumble!"

Actually the whole game seemed to be full of questionable calls. There was a Seattle touchdown that was called back because the guy pushed someone--okay, I'm not a football fan, but isn't pushing kind of an elemental part of the game? And there was a Pittsburgh touchdown that was allowed after review even though it seemed quite clear (to me, at least) that the ball never actually made it over the line. Then there was another time when Seattle appeared to get a first down near the endzone but then it was called back and then penalty yards added in reverse for some technicality that even the TV commentators couldn't see on replay. So instead of first and goal they wound up fourth and 25 or something.

I don't like the idea of calling things back unless there is a very compelling reason.
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:

Actually the whole game seemed to be full of questionable calls.

If the NFL didn't have so many silly rules, there wouldn't have to be questionable calls.

In the fumble case I happened to see, there was only one reason that QB fumbled: because he was diving to avoid a tackle.

Jeremy Reimer wrote:

but isn't pushing kind of an elemental part of the game?

I believe contex is important here. From what little I remember of being a fatty lineman, there are very specific rules governing what happens even on the line of scrimmage. Too many rules, too much equipment.

Quote:

And there was a Pittsburgh touchdown that was allowed after review even though it seemed quite clear (to me, at least) that the ball never actually made it over the line.

Somebody felt that it "broke the plane" even if it didn't end up over the line. Therein lies the biggest irony in the game of football. Football developed from rugby. Hitting the endzone in football is called a "touchdown" even though you don't actually have to touch the ball down. In rugby, its called a "try" but you have to actually place the ball on the ground on or over the line. There's none of this "breaking the plane" silliness. In international rugby refs do sometimes have to go to the cameras, but the rules make it a lot easier to make decisions on what happened. In football, you can go to the cameras, and still have grey areas because that exact case has never been covered. It seems so arbitrary to me.

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also opens the door for all sorts of rules lawyering. In that respect it's actually somewhat analogous to the American judicial system, as opposed to the Canadian judicial system. Rulings in the latter rely much more heavily in legislative intent in drafting the law, wheras in the former the wording of the law is more important.

The upshot: Canadian laws can be worded vaguely (cf. our hate speech laws), but it's okay because judges know what the government meant (said laws have been applied only once, and completely properly). Kinda funny, but it works for us. Smile

</random>

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IANAL, but wouldn't vaguely worded laws just make case law that much more relevant?

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean legal precedent? Yes, that too.

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: