Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

My experiences with Visual Studio 2005

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: My experiences with Visual Studio 2005 Reply with quote

So I finally got around to installing Visual Studio 2005 on my laptop. I haven't spent a huge amount of time with it yet (about three hours) so I reserve the right to modify these observations as I get more accustomed to the environment.

The short of it: I'm a bit so so on the upgrade. There is a lot of COOL stuff that the 2.0 version of the framework brings to the table and I like getting my hands on those features. ASP.NET 2.0 has some great stuff in it as well according to my reading. However I also expected the software to get a bit slimmer this time around, my older projects to transition to the 2005 environment pretty nicely and for things to work at least as well as in 2003. It is in these areas that I find myself feeling disappointed.

The first (and only project) thing I've done is try to transition my website into the 2005 environment. Upon loading my original project - I am presented with an upgrade wizard. It goes through, modifies most of my source files automatically and that is that. After this process I am dismayed to find out that my project doesn't compile. But hey this wasn't entirely unexpected. After pulling out my hair for half and hour trying to figure out the issue, I finally realize that one of my usercontrols had not been converted to new ASP.NET 2.0 way of doing things. Apparently the upgrade wizard skipped this control.

So since I've read up on it, I went ahead and change my code behind class into a partial class, changed the CodeBehind attribute on the ascx file to CodeFile and made a few other tweaks. That seemed to get the compile going.

One of the biggest bitches my coworkers and I have when it comes to Visual Studio 2003 is its obscene memory usage. We were all hoping 2005 would improve upon this issue. Boy we couldn't have been more wrong. When I open my website in VS 2003 (hosted on IIS locally) it uses about 40 megs of memory even with a number of files open but sitting idle. When I open my website in VS 2005 (hosted on IIS locally) it uses between 95 and 105 megs of memory with no files open.

WHAT.
THE.
HELL.

This is a single project solution. I can only imagine what memory usage will ballon to at work with our 25+ project solutions for various projects that we are working on. Of course memory is cheap. And if that was only issue I had - it wouldn't be THAT big of a deal. Afterall people somehow manage to work with pieces of bloat crap like Eclipse all day soooo..... no biggie right?

For those of you in the know - you know that ASP.NET projects can now be opened in two different ways. You can open and edit an ASP.NET project that sits directly on a webserver (local or remote) using the Frontpage Extensions (just like in 2003) or if you open the website directly from the filesystem, ASP.NET will use it's own built web server for testing and development so you no longer HAVE TO have IIS installed.

Well thats a great feature but for the initial conversion I decided to just stay with the IIS configuration I already had. For the most part this worked just fine until I started saving my changes in the IDE. 3 out of 4 times files would save instantaniously. However 1 out of 4 times I would have to sit idle for 5 minutes will the IDE dicked around with itself and displayed the animated saving icon in the toolbar.

I could count the number of times I had this problem in vs2003 on a single hand. It was a rare occurence. However in vs2005 it happens all the time with the same install on the same machine. Nothing has changed except vs2005. And sitting idle for five minutes after 25% of your saves for a compulsive saver such as myself isn't too appealing.

Last but not least - I've noticed that the tasks portion of the IDE in vs2005 not only classifies fatal compiler errors as errors - but it classifies HTML validation errors as errors. What does this mean and why is it bad? If I compile some web app and it fails to compile because of a single line of code and I happen to either a) have some badly formed HTML or b) some sort of inline code generating the HTML that the parser can't possibly comprehend outside of runtime that may not look like it could validate then mixed into my error list will be these validation errors. Because these issues are classified as errors - it makes the situation seem worse than it is. It also keeps me from being able to quickly fix the one issue that actually keeps the application from compiling**

I don't mind them displaying validation errors. In fact I think it's REALLY nice. I just wished they wouldn't come across as compiler errors when they are actually NOTHING of the sort.

The good news is that Microsoft is actually aware of the problems present in the release and has already committed to putting out a service release. Can't help but to skeptical though given that no such release was ever made for vs2003 despite the bugs that it had.

Here's hoping MS fixes these issues and makes me want to actually install vs2005 in a production dev environment. Because at this point, it just isn't happening.

** Note: My pages generally validate okay in vs2005 but I had a few hacks I used here and there that it didnt like.
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ... any sexy GUI pictures or is it pretty straight-forward?

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if the IDE running its own web server is a good thing. You're bound to run into a situation where the code works fine on the dev box but be damned if it'll work on the production server.

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
I'm wondering if the IDE running its own web server is a good thing. You're bound to run into a situation where the code works fine on the dev box but be damned if it'll work on the production server.

Yes that worries me as well. One thing that you have to keep in mind is that the IDE web server runs using the permissions of your username, not the anonymous IIS or ASPNET user as IIS ASP.NET apps do by default. So while something may appear to work on the IDE server - you may have to perform additional tweaking to make it work on IIS in a production environment. Thats one of the reasons I prefer using IIS as I get to deal with any security related issues up front during development rather than further down the road.
MasterOfTheHat
Commander
Commander

Location: In a galaxy far, far, far, far, really really far away...

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is: can you friggin debug a web page on a remote install of IIS? That's what I hate about 2k3. I've got my personal "web-page-in-progress" sitting on the same server as my current web page, (since I don't have the luxury of a seperate dev server Wink ), and I dev it on my WS. That all works fine, other than having to connect to the project using the frontpage extensions, but I can't debug the friggin code that way!

Yes, I know I could load IIS locally and run the dev page locally or I could load VS.NET on the web server, but that would either require IIS and MSDE on my WS or VS.NET on the server. I just hate having to do cross-function crap like that on a box.

For my fellow OSYers - You know you're addicted to programming when:"The people you respect most you have never physically seen or spoken to, but you always bow to their knowledge."

*Quantum physics texts are an excellent source of 100% of the recommended daily alowance of "WTF!?!" - HitScan

support.microsoft's cause for a 0x0000007f STOP error:
"• Your computer has hardware or software problems. "
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterOfTheHat wrote:
My question is: can you friggin debug a web page on a remote install of IIS? That's what I hate about 2k3. I've got my personal "web-page-in-progress" sitting on the same server as my current web page, (since I don't have the luxury of a seperate dev server Wink ), and I dev it on my WS. That all works fine, other than having to connect to the project using the frontpage extensions, but I can't debug the friggin code that way!

Yes, I know I could load IIS locally and run the dev page locally or I could load VS.NET on the web server, but that would either require IIS and MSDE on my WS or VS.NET on the server. I just hate having to do cross-function crap like that on a box.

You don't have to put VS.Net on the server, only the remote debugging tools. Small, easy.

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Small, easy.

Smeasy.

HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
Quote:

Small, easy.

Smeasy.

Smeasy-Peasy.

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HitScan wrote:
Mord wrote:
Quote:

Small, easy.

Smeasy.

Smeasy-Peasy.

Smeapsy?

Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
HitScan wrote:
Mord wrote:
Quote:

Small, easy.

Smeasy.

Smeasy-Peasy.

Smeapsy?

Fo'shnizzle.

Gaah. I don’t tend to bother about slashdot, because quite frankly, the whole _point_ of slashdot is to have this big public wanking session with people getting together and making their own “insightful” comment on any random topic, whether they know anything about it or not. -- Linus Torvalds, 20 Aug 2005

I heard that even small amounts of smam are highly unstable. Like anti-matter, only with polka dots. -- Mord

I don't make up rumors, I just falsify them. -- HitScan

Pentium-M eats G4 alive so quickly that the G4 is still breathing when the P-M shits it out. End of story. -- Hat Monster
Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh....

The worst part about all this. Microsoft will finally release the first Service Pack for VS2003 next year. Isn't that a bit too much like fixing the barn door after the cows have come home? Though its good to see that I'm not the only one a bit annoyed by what was obviously the rushed release of VS2005. I suppose though Microsoft decided that a rushed release would've cost less than all the money it would've cost to rebrand the product as "Visual Studio 2006"..... Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: