Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

My iBook motherboard failed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Count_Blah
Yummy?
Commander
Commander

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: My iBook motherboard failed Reply with quote

Damnit my iBook motherboard failed during class. Lucky I still have zee Applecare. (Or else I would get a anal assraping with the 80 euro/hour repaircosts + new motherboard)

The guy at the apple store tought it was the 256 mb of ram I added. (It wasn't), he said I was lucky to have bought the applecare.

Hope it returns soon.

Remember: Silly is a state of Mind, Stupid is a way of Life.
-- Dave Butler
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks.

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My iBook motherboard failed Reply with quote

Count_Blah wrote:
The guy at the apple store tought it was the 256 mb of ram I added.
How the hell can a stick of memory blow a motherboard, pray tell? Confused

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
Count_Blah
Yummy?
Commander
Commander

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hope they fix it fast and correctly. But it sucks major ass to be without a laptop or mac.

I was lucky I made some back up yesterday night so I only lost 20 lines on a document, and some calculations.

Well I hope this don't with me writing angry letters to steve and he mistakenly fire me or something like that. Wink

How can it blow up a motherboard? No fucking clue, maybe if you buy it from FunPrice computers. (yes that's an actual store) But I had some quality Dane Electric.

-- Dave Butler
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Dane Elec is a good brand? You don't see it over here in Canada (at least I never do). But I ordered a 512MB SD Card from Tigerdirect over a year ago for the then good price of $53.99. Actually, I'm not even sure you can get one over the counter from the big retailers for that price yet.

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of adding memory to a Mac, is there a good way to test it? Prime95 for the Mac? Bootable memtest?

Count_Blah
Yummy?
Commander
Commander

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In europe they are quite a high end brand. I paid way more than I should for it. But everytime I check it with the OS9y memcheck it turns out correctly. (But I have little faith in that tester)

But to be honest I suprised that my iBook lasted as long as it did. I was seriously spanking it these last months. (All night renders, physics calculations, compiles)

-- Dave Butler
OscarWilde
Unbearable Bliss of Ignorance
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My iBook motherboard failed Reply with quote

Magus wrote:
Count_Blah wrote:
The guy at the apple store tought it was the 256 mb of ram I added.
How the hell can a stick of memory blow a motherboard, pray tell? Confused

I don't think it's the actual memory that does the damage, but the possible static discharge that can happen when one installs memory without prior rubbing of the fur.. no wait... wearing a metal strap and plugging it to a wall outlet... yeah that's it.
I guess for a laptop, the one thing that can be changed easily is the memory: so possibly someone installs the memory: this someone is a human lightning rod: discharges copious amounts of current current into the motherboard: motherboard becomes iFried.

However, I assume these problems occur immediately after installing the memory. Although I've read in some cases problems can take a while to manifest itself. Who knows.

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grounding straps aren't really necessary if you're careful, but mandatory at some places.

Another good way to keep the system itself grounded it to leave it plugged in. Just turn off the PSU so that the caps don't stay charged.

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
Speaking of adding memory to a Mac, is there a good way to test it? Prime95 for the Mac? Bootable memtest?

I'd ask this question at the Mac Achia where you'll probably get a few good suggestions. You could check out Memtest available at version tracker. The site is not the end all and be all of solutions for the mac, but it's a start.

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
Mord wrote:

I'd ask this question at the Mac Achia where you'll probably get a few good suggestions. You could check out Memtest available at version tracker. The site is not the end all and be all of solutions for the mac, but it's a start.

That all smacks of effort. I'll just rely on the omniscience of the smam.

That and Blah already mentioned something that pretty much answered my question: that there is a mac memtest utility of some sort. That's good enough for me until I actually need one, which I currently forecast as "never".

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
Grounding straps aren't really necessary if you're careful, but mandatory at some places.

Laughing

Sorry, when I meant plug in the straps to the wall, I quite literally meant to plug it in live. LOL... i was being really silly... I thought when I suggested rubbing fur, it would have given away the silliness. I love it when people give serious thought to something that was meant to be silly.

None the less, what you say is true. Smile

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:

That and Blah already mentioned something that pretty much answered my question: that there is a mac memtest utility of some sort. That's good enough for me until I actually need one, which I currently forecast as "never".

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bad stick of RAM could fry a memory controller if it had solder bridges or whatever. Maybe.
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
Mord wrote:

Laughing

Sorry, when I meant plug in the straps to the wall, I quite literally meant to plug it in live. LOL... i was being really silly... I thought when I suggested rubbing fur, it would have given away the silliness. I love it when people give serious thought to something that was meant to be silly.

Yeah I just scanned your post. Completely missed the part about plugging into a wall outlet and the rubbing of fur.

Although technical you could plug your strap into the groud line of a three prong outlet....

HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
OscarWilde wrote:
Mord wrote:

Laughing

Yeah I just scanned your post. Completely missed the part about plugging into a wall outlet and the rubbing of fur.

Although technical you could plug your strap into the groud line of a three prong outlet....

You can also buy some gimped-out extension cords that only have the ground connected. They are all green, I guess so you will associate them with a ground connection and not be all pissed off when nothing works that's plugged into them.

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do what I do and jam knives in the sockets.

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:

I'd only do that if I was on the show, 'Jackass', and wanted to risk getting electrocuted. How many amps does it take to stop the heart? 0.2mA? It takes way to little current to do too much damage to the body. Not going to risk it no matter what. I'm actually really cautious around live wires and sources of current. Almost to the point of having a phobia about it. Electro-phobia.

PaoloM
The King Of Crap
Captain
Captain

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:

That works EVERY time.
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaoloM wrote:
Mord wrote:

That works EVERY time.

PZZRRT.
zzt.

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
Mord wrote:

I'd only do that if I was on the show, 'Jackass', and wanted to risk getting electrocuted. How many amps does it take to stop the heart? 0.2mA? It takes way to little current to do too much damage to the body. Not going to risk it no matter what. I'm actually really cautious around live wires and sources of current. Almost to the point of having a phobia about it. Electro-phobia.

Yeah, but the GROUND line. Its the one that isn't a slot. Usually at the bottom of the plug/outlet. A banana plug fits nicely there.

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
OscarWilde wrote:
Mord wrote:

Yeah, but the GROUND line. Its the one that isn't a slot. Usually at the bottom of the plug/outlet. A banana plug fits nicely there.

Ah, cross country confusion. The ground line here is part of the slot. We live in high rise buildings, so I think the ground actually has to be... err.. grounded. I'm not going to trust an old building that has 32 apts (3 apts/fl for 12 floors) and the chance some electrician may have screwed up the wiring and made the ground a closed circuit. A few months ago, the top 6 floors lost electricity for two hours because of some faulty wiring or some stupid shit. Sorry, electro-phobia means I have irrational fears.

kennedye
Petty Officer 2nd class
Petty Officer 2nd class

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:

I'd just boot it from the hardware test CD and run the long memory test once or twice. Don't waste your time looking for APK_RAM_TEST_2000*****OS_X or anything.

My iBook's going back shortly for the logic board fix. Yay for AppleCare through July.
Instead of the grateful joy that I expected, they were words of quiet rejection! Instead of praise, sullen dismissal. I watched in shock and horror as Father Brown ground my precious instrument to splinters beneath his feet... -- 2112
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kennedye wrote:
Mord wrote:

I'd just boot it from the hardware test CD and run the long memory test once or twice. Don't waste your time looking for APK_RAM_TEST_2000*****OS_X or anything.

I know you're being funny, but I'm a little insulted you'd imply something like that. I have a lot of respect for Prime95 and memtest, and I use them extensively when I build machines. I do not tolerate instability.

Count_Blah
Yummy?
Commander
Commander

netherlands.gif
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank $DIETY$ that APK never touched a Mac and compiled code. Altough Steve would just forbid APK to use a mac, and fire him in the elevator. And such

Damn I miss the bloody thing. One desktop computer feels seriously constrainted compared to desktop and laptop.

-- Dave Butler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: