Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Happy New Year Surgery To Me!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And while I made up the 99% statistic, the fact remains that the vast majority of Christians do not read the Bible literally, and do not believe in Creationism.

I'm sure that 99% of the people you meet in Europe would laugh you out if you said that you believed in Creationism.

Quote:
And I'm tired of the DNA debate. There is no proof in recorded history of animals changing species. If there is, find it. Your links mention hybridization and other processes in which species are combined to form new species. This is not evolution, it is man meddling into reporduction and genetics.

No proof. Hm. Yeah I guess those fossils of various stages of human development that have been found and JR already mentioned are a part of a worldwide deception then.
They should have never taught us that in school! Outrageous to lie to us!

Quote:
The Catholic church is the Catholic church. It is NOT "about as 'Christian' and 'religious' as it is possible to get." It is very, very different than the Protestants, and it is a given that the Catholic church is as corrupt as any other organization on the planet. It's been that way since Medieval time. They, actually, are quite a bit off from the non-Catholic Christian mainstream.

Not only is the Catholic Church a Christian church, it is THE Christian church that spawned all of the Christian religions you know today (with the exception of the Orthodox). And it is the biggest Christian church worldwide.
So how dare you say that it is not the mainstream?

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingpinmc wrote:
Please stop with the carbon dating.

http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Sciences/LifeScience/PhysicalAnthropology/EvolutionFact/Radioactive/Radioactive.htm

*sigh*

I'm sorry, but as a chemical engineer I have to take serious exception to that link. The author exhibits clear misunderstandings of both radioactive decay curves and basic statistics. It makes me sad to see that kind of misinformation propagated through the Internet. Sad

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
MasterOfTheHat
Commander
Commander

Location: In a galaxy far, far, far, far, really really far away...

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

How dare I? rofl You're kidding me, right?

For my fellow OSYers - You know you're addicted to programming when:"The people you respect most you have never physically seen or spoken to, but you always bow to their knowledge."

*Quantum physics texts are an excellent source of 100% of the recommended daily alowance of "WTF!?!" - HitScan

support.microsoft's cause for a 0x0000007f STOP error:
"• Your computer has hardware or software problems. "
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting tangent about Catholicism: if Alito is confirmed, five U.S. Supreme Court Justices will be Catholics.

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterOfTheHat wrote:
Quote:

Hey, that's what I'm thinking all the time when I read that religious stuff you write.

Get out of my head!

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
Thundar
Insert Custom Title Here
Commodore
Commodore

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterOfTheHat wrote:
Jay wrote:
I just want to say my wife is so proud of me for abstaining from this particular discussion. Deep down I think I am also proud of myself Very Happy

Well, touch you twice! NO! Three times! Wink

And make it hot!

MasterOfTheHat wrote:
Well, if you'd quit sacrificing the virgins and screwing the livestock, you wouldn't be in such a predicament!

if you are wondering what smam is, just stick around, it is more a sort of zen than something that a mere definition with mortal words cannot comprehend. You will get the picture of what smam is in short order. It will change your life! -Smamta Clause
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MasterOfTheHat
Commander
Commander

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:
kingpinmc wrote:
Please stop with the carbon dating.

http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/Sciences/LifeScience/PhysicalAnthropology/EvolutionFact/Radioactive/Radioactive.htm

*sigh*

I'm sorry, but as a chemical engineer I have to take serious exception to that link. The author exhibits clear misunderstandings of both radioactive decay curves and basic statistics. It makes me sad to see that kind of misinformation propagated through the Internet. Sad

Try these, then:
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c007.html - "dating methods that are claimed to give millions and billions of years -- carbon dating can only give thousands of years."
http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/carbon.html - "Carbon dating can be used on material which was living in the last few tens of thousands of years, and which got its carbon from the air"
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/carbondating.html <- not one of the greatest links out there...
http://www.pathlights.com/ce_encyclopedia/06dat5.htm#C14%20Rarely%20Produces%20Old%20Dates
http://www.carm.org/evo_questions/carbondating.htm
http://www.allaboutarchaeology.org/is-carbon-dating-accurate-faq.htm - "Is carbon dating accurate? Only to a certain extent

So, from these and I'm sure many other sites, we can see that carbon dating is great... up to about 40,000 years. Not millions or billions. And, from what I gathered at these and other sites, that fits just fine into the Biblical timeline.

For my fellow OSYers - You know you're addicted to programming when:"The people you respect most you have never physically seen or spoken to, but you always bow to their knowledge."

*Quantum physics texts are an excellent source of 100% of the recommended daily alowance of "WTF!?!" - HitScan

FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterOfTheHat wrote:
So, from these and I'm sure many other sites, we can see that carbon dating is great... up to about 40,000 years. Not millions or billions...
That is correct, I just asked my wife (the Geologist).

Wife: "Yes, carbon dating isn't used for rocks usually."
Me: "Huh? I thought carbon dating was how you dated things?"
Wife: "Yes, for things younger than about 50,000 years. We use potassium at work."
Me: "Huh?"
Wife: "Potassium-argon; has a half-life of nearly a billion years. What are you reading?"

Smile

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Biblical timeline as I understand it is less than 10,000 years; 6,000 years is the number I most often hear from Young Earth Creationists. Radiocarbon dating is comparatively accurate out to approximately 50,000 years, which is fine, because it isn't used to date anything older than that. Radiocarbon dating is one of a variety of radiometric dating techniques that can be applied to date specimiens of varying ages (because of different decay curves for different isotopes).

Most importantly, radiometric dating methods correlate very well with known dates (tree rings, ice cores, historical specimens of known origin). In other words, everything we know points to radiometric methods being accurate when applied correctly.

Again, as I've been saying all along, if these theories were invalid, a number of the things we have come to rely on for our day-to-day existence simply wouldn't work. Radioactive decay curves are used for a lot more than just dating specimens. Hiroshima would still be standing if the principles of nuclear chemistry (of which radioactive decay is one) were flawed as fundamentally as some of those links claim.

Is it fine to believe that god created the Earth 10,000 years ago? It is. But that's not a belief that is supported evidentially -- and nor should it be, since that would in my view defeat the whole point of faith. Smile That's part of why I'm not big on debating this issue (while I don't mind discussing it, that isn't the direction this thread has taken); it's arguing apples and oranges because religion and science are necessarily concerned with entirely separate aspects of our lives.

Added: FD hit the nail exactly on the head. Potassium/Argon is another of the major dating methods used, due to its ginormous half-life. Smile

MasterOfTheHat
Commander
Commander

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for Homo erectus:
http://www.darwinismrefuted.com/origin_of_man_05.html
http://www.northave.org/MGManual/Earlyman/Eman1.htm
http://emporium.turnpike.net/C/cs/emcon.htm

And so on...

So, from this we see that the "evolution of man" pictures that Riso posted are still highly debated. There is nothing that I've seen that says that we know for sure that some those fossils are not exinct apes and the others are just diseased humans or humans from different cultures. You can also see in a couple of those articles that even present-day man varies as much as these fossils do.

FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:
Added: FD hit the nail exactly on the head. Potassium/Argon is another of the major dating methods used, due to its ginormous half-life. Smile
She just corrected me; "I said Potassium/Argon was used a lot, not that WE use it a lot. We, as in Geologists, use Argon/Argon dating."

She said she's not going to explain anymore if I keep misquoting her. Very Happy I'm allowed to summarize; dating rocks is very easy, there are many well understood methods to date rocks accurately. As far as recent fossils are concerned carbon dating is highly accurate.

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
MasterOfTheHat
Commander
Commander

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:
The Biblical timeline as I understand it is less than 10,000 years; 6,000 years is the number I most often hear from Young Earth Creationists. Radiocarbon dating is comparatively accurate out to approximately 50,000 years, which is fine, because it isn't used to date anything older than that. Radiocarbon dating is one of a variety of radiometric dating techniques that can be applied to date specimiens of varying ages (because of different decay curves for different isotopes).

Most importantly, radiometric dating methods correlate very well with known dates (tree rings, ice cores, historical specimens of known origin). In other words, everything we know points to radiometric methods being accurate when applied correctly.

Again, as I've been saying all along, if these theories were invalid, a number of the things we have come to rely on for our day-to-day existence simply wouldn't work. Radioactive decay curves are used for a lot more than just dating specimens. Hiroshima would still be standing if the principles of nuclear chemistry (of which radioactive decay is one) were flawed as fundamentally as some of those links claim.

Is it fine to believe that god created the Earth 10,000 years ago? It is. But that's not a belief that is supported evidentially -- and nor should it be, since that would in my view defeat the whole point of faith. Smile That's part of why I'm not big on debating this issue (while I don't mind discussing it, that isn't the direction this thread has taken); it's arguing apples and oranges because religion and science are necessarily concerned with entirely separate aspects of our lives.

All of the carbon-dating arguments stemmed from, I believe, this part of one of Jeremy's posts:
Quote:
Sure you can. If they were created separately at the beginning of time, you couldn't classify genetic characteristics that were common to both, must less 98% common traits. You couldn't map out exactly how far away their common ancestors were by how similarly the DNA matched up. You couldn't carbon date fossils and find transitionary species that fell in between the two animals.

Here he suggests that man can carbon-date fossils he later, I'm pretty sure, suggests are millions of years old. The links we provided, (and you and FD's wife have confirmed), show that this is not possible. It discredits that comment.

AllYorBaseRBelong2Us
Infernal Smam Lord
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Location: Gaurding the toenail clipper bag that holds you all!

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FondueDaredevil wrote:
the twinkster wrote:
She just corrected me; "I said Potassium/Argon was used a lot, not that WE use it a lot. We, as in Geologists, use Argon/Argon dating."

She said she's not going to explain anymore if I keep misquoting her. Very Happy I'm allowed to summarize; dating rocks is very easy, there are many well understood methods to date rocks accurately. As far as recent fossils are concerned carbon dating is highly accurate.

It really depends on the environment the fossil is found in, and it also operates under the assumption that time has been a constant.
This and other statistics can be culled from Jeremy Reimer's Personal Computer Market Share: 1975-2002, a very impressive piece of information gathering. The numbers tell some very interesting stories.
- http://lowendmac.com/musings/03/0131.html

Man, I need to get out more. You know smam is getting to you when you go to a canadian restaurant and start wondering about moose cock. -OscarWilde Smile
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It really depends on the environment the fossil is found in, and it also operates under the assumption that time has been a constant.

What, have you been messing with the fabric of time again?

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.

Last edited by Mord on Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That first part is why I said "when applied correctly," AYB. Smile As to time being a constant... er... I don't see (from a relativistic physics standpoint) how it could ever be anything else within the reference frame of the Earth. Confused

FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllYorBaseRBelong2Us wrote:
FondueDaredevil wrote:
the twinkster wrote:

All I can say is, Yes.

Supervillains for Linux!
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One also has to realise that for people who don't actually use radiometric dating, that "Carbon Dating" is the "Kleenex" of the radiometric dating world. It's not all carbon dating anymore than all the tissues are kleenex, but if you ask someone about it, carbon is what you're going to hear. Smile

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
AllYorBaseRBelong2Us
Infernal Smam Lord
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Location: Gaurding the toenail clipper bag that holds you all!

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
This and other statistics can be culled from Jeremy Reimer's Personal Computer Market Share: 1975-2002, a very impressive piece of information gathering. The numbers tell some very interesting stories.
- http://lowendmac.com/musings/03/0131.html

Man, I need to get out more. You know smam is getting to you when you go to a canadian restaurant and start wondering about moose cock. -OscarWilde Smile
Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to provide some much needed perspective:
MasterOfTheHat wrote:

Catholics outnumber every single other denomination of Christianity combined Hat according to this site. Every single denomination is a minority when compared to the Catholic church no matter how much the Southern Baptist Convention's 16 million members want to deny this fact*. When it comes to Christianity, the Catholics are definitely the 800 lb Gorilla in the room.

* For the record most SBC churches pretty much rail against Catholicism as if the Anti Christ himself walked into the room. This is of course an observation I have gathered from years of various girlfriends (one who was even a Preacher's daughter) and my wife's family dragging me to their SBC approved church(es) whenever the opportunity has presented itself. Very Happy
MasterOfTheHat
Commander
Commander

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HitScan wrote:
One also has to realise that for people who don't actually use radiometric dating, that "Carbon Dating" is the "Kleenex" of the radiometric dating world. It's not all carbon dating anymore than all the tissues are kleenex, but if you ask someone about it, carbon is what you're going to hear. Smile

HA! Riiiiight! And next you'll be telling us that all web-based apps aren't written in Java!

Wink

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

kingpinmc
Dark Stalker
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:

Amen! This debate has been going on for quite some time with people who specialize in each of these feilds. I don't think we are going to solve it on OSY.
"Then I saw little Tiffany. I'm thinkin', you know, eight year old white girl, middle of the ghetto, bunch of monsters, this time of night with quantum physics books? She's about to start some shit, Zed.” - J - Men in Black

So.....

Maxi Does Dallas?

Twisted Evil - Mord
kingpinmc
Dark Stalker
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH, and AYB....

Can you make it 5PM CST? I'm ready to go home.
"Then I saw little Tiffany. I'm thinkin', you know, eight year old white girl, middle of the ghetto, bunch of monsters, this time of night with quantum physics books? She's about to start some shit, Zed.” - J - Men in Black

So.....

Maxi Does Dallas?

Twisted Evil - Mord
Thundar
Insert Custom Title Here
Commodore
Commodore

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingpinmc wrote:
OH, and AYB....

Can you make it 5PM CST? I'm ready to go home.

Quoted for truth and great justice!

MasterOfTheHat wrote:
Well, if you'd quit sacrificing the virgins and screwing the livestock, you wouldn't be in such a predicament!

if you are wondering what smam is, just stick around, it is more a sort of zen than something that a mere definition with mortal words cannot comprehend. You will get the picture of what smam is in short order. It will change your life! -Smamta Clause
MasterOfTheHat
Commander
Commander

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay wrote:
Just to provide some much needed perspective:
MasterOfTheHat wrote:

Catholics outnumber every single other denomination of Christianity combined Hat according to this site. Every single denomination is a minority when compared to the Catholic church no matter how much the Southern Baptist Convention's 16 million members want to deny this fact*. When it comes to Christianity, the Catholics are definitely the 800 lb Gorilla in the room.

* For the record most SBC churches pretty much rail against Catholicism as if the Anti Christ himself walked into the room. This is of course an observation I have gathered from years of various girlfriends (one who was even a Preacher's daughter) and my wife's family dragging me to their SBC approved church(es) whenever the opportunity has presented itself. Very Happy

You are correct. Catholicism is the largest Christian denomination in the world. It is not, however, that large in the US. It is the largest single denomination in the US, but it doesn't take many of the Protestant denominations to make up for it and then some. http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html#families

Let's take a look at what I said, though:
Quote:
Quote:
The Catholic church is the Catholic church. It is NOT "about as 'Christian' and 'religious' as it is possible to get." It is very, very different than the Protestants, and it is a given that the Catholic church is as corrupt as any other organization on the planet. It's been that way since Medieval time. They, actually, are quite a bit off from the non-Catholic Christian mainstream.

Not only is the Catholic Church a Christian church, it is THE Christian church that spawned all of the Christian religions you know today (with the exception of the Orthodox). And it is the biggest Christian church worldwide.
So how dare you say that it is not the mainstream

I tried to make the it clear that I was comparing the Catholic church with the non-Catholic denominations.

And to give just a high overview of the differences between the Catholic church and Protestant churches, take a look here: http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/charts/catholic_protestant.htm. You'll notice it's from the same site that Jay linked to.

And you're right, Riso; the Catholic church has spawned pretty much all of the other Christian denominations. Of course, most of those denominations were spawned because someone in the church disagreed with the Catholic teachings and chose to split off and create their own church. After all, "Protestant" means "a person challenging an action of an administrative agency." These churches were created because someone "protested" against the Catholic church. Read here if you want to know a little more: http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/denominations/history.htm

So, no, the Catholic church is not THE Christian church. It is A Christian church that happens to differ greatly from other Christian churches.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: