Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

I watched Serenity! (spoilers)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OscarWilde
Unbearable Bliss of Ignorance
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: I watched Serenity! (spoilers) Reply with quote

Why did they kill Wash!? He was one of my favorite characters. WHY!? Sad

The movie itself is really good. Really good plot, dialogue, and acting. The direction and production of the movie is stunning too. Damn. It sure beats out a lot of the more 'expensive blockbuster' hits i've seen in the cinema the past year.
Oh, and the movie has some great lines, which I think is what makes Firefly rock, and in the movie it's just as good.
I'm guessing the movie is based much more into the future of the story line then what was revealed in the series. Where are the blue hands man?

Damn it! They killed of Wash!!! Mad Mad Mad Sad Sad Sad

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fate of the blue-hands men is revealed in the three comics that were released before the movie.

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:
The fate of the blue-hands men is revealed in the three comics that were released before the movie.

Where are the comics? Or shall just go google it for myself? Wink

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a google search. *cough* am working on getting the comics at the moment *cough*

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't get is that, even though, as far as I'm aware, Serenity was never released in the cinemas in Hong Kong; but at Movie Land* I could rent the Serenity DVD. However, on Amazon the DVD doesn't come out till December 20th? Huh? I was originally planning to buy the DVD and get it shipped to me. Then my friend on MSN messenger tells me he saw Serenity at the Movie Land* and asked if I wanted it. So yeah. Not sure why Amazon is saying the release date for the DVD is December 20th and a legit DVD rental store in HK has it weeks before that.

Confused

* Is a legit DVD rental store in-spite of HK's notorious (and well deserved) reputation for piracy.

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I read the comics and the movie makes a lot more sense now. Wasn't really explained in the movie why the black dood suddenly was so hardcore in going after River.

Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made sense to me without the comics... Confused Smile

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "black dude" wasn't hardcore about River. He was just hardcore. A believer. And he was given something that he needed to do. That's the way I understood it.

And I love it, because even though he's sinister and menacing, he's not really a bad guy. Just coming from a different direction. And that's a huge underlying theme of Firefly and Serenity.

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit annoyed when River/the movie suddenly turned into Buffy.

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you watch the series? River going up like that was pretty much expected.

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to see her shooting guns with her eyes shut more than I wanted to see her doing kung fu, but I thought Joss handled it gracefully.

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:
I wanted to see her shooting guns with her eyes shut more than I wanted to see her doing kung fu, but I thought Joss handled it gracefully.

Yes as long as the chick kicking ass scenes don't include stupid highschoolers talking about killing vampires and somehow acting serious despite the fact that their show was derived from one of the all time worst movies to ever be made. Since Joss managed to avoid that and everything else I hated about Buffy and somehow succesfully meld the Western and Sci-Fi genres - Firefly was truly a winner in my book. Serenity simply continued the fine tradition. It apparently also continued the tradition of disinterest on the part of the general public as evidenced by the movie's revenues.

Perhaps the general public is simply not ready for thoughtful forms of entertainment...?

P.S. I've gone ahead and bought my dad the FireFly series on DVD for Christmas. I've tried to keep it total surprise by never uttering a single word about the series ever. As a big fan of westerns and sci-fi I think he'll find it right up his alley.
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magus wrote:
Made sense to me without the comics... Confused Smile

I meant to say why there was a new guy being sent by the alliance to take care of stuff and not the blue men, and more importantly, the lack of the blue men in the entire movie. The blue men were the catalyst behind the mystery of River and what the Alliance did to her, i.e., the audience is reminded every time the blue men appear that there is something sinister going on beneath the usual firefly episode stories. So a movie where it focused heavily on River and what the alliance did, it would be interesting to have heard some mention of them. Not just, 'I'm a new bad guy, and mine is not an evil laugh, but this, this here, is an evil sword with which I shall gut you after I do some zen thing on your back with my fist, fear!!!111!!!!'

Then again, I do tend to be more particular and less tolerant about story lines it seems. Remember, I'm the one that was never happy with how the LOTR movies were pulled off purely from a story line perspective.

Last edited by OscarWilde on Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
The "black dude" wasn't hardcore about River. He was just hardcore. A believer. And he was given something that he needed to do. That's the way I understood it.

And I love it, because even though he's sinister and menacing, he's not really a bad guy. Just coming from a different direction. And that's a huge underlying theme of Firefly and Serenity.

Yeah, I agree with all that. I was writing the posts above at around midnight as I had just finished watching Serenity around an hour before that and wasn't focused on giving my dissertation on various characters. Wink

But you gotta admit 'The Operative' (actual character name of the black dood) was really intense with the sword and the rhetoric about brave men taking their own lives. The whole zen persona was intense.
Have we not learnt that zen kicks your ass in ways a gun or bio/chemical weapon can't, while looking pretty at the same time? Very Happy

Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps the general public is simply not ready for thoughtful forms of entertainment...?

Perhaps the studio is to blame for absolutely atrocious marketing?

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riso wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps the studio is to blame for absolutely atrocious marketing?

Holy fuck is that right. Now, Serenity is "The Action Movie of the Year. RAWR!" I saw a commercial for it while I was hope sick from nasty food shenanigans and it was all of rivers fights scenes, plus a bonus added explosion at the end when they showed the DVD, because you know, it's FAWKING HARDCORE, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ARRRR!

Idiots.

Also, I'm totally going to be called a puss or something, but I'd say when Wash died that was the closest I've ever come to crying at a movie. And I haven't even seen the series.

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HitScan wrote:

Also, I'm totally going to be called a puss or something, but I'd say when Wash died that was the closest I've ever come to crying at a movie. And I haven't even seen the series.

Dood, if anyone here was like Wash*, it would be you.

*If we were playing that popular game of multiple choice questions where in the end, the answers are tabulated and you are told who you are most like of your favorite tv show. i.e. star wars, desperate housewives, friends. So yeah, if there was one for Firefly, your answers would reveal you to be most like Wash. That, and, I think your humor makes you most like Wash too. That's a compliment by the way. Just cause the guy dies and I'm comparing you to him don't mean I wish you all kinds of ill will or something. Smile

Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wash wrote:

Har har har! Mine is an evil laugh! Now die!

Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not "har har har". It's "HaHA, mine is an evil laugh! Now die!" Smile

</picky mode>

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blame Quotewiki (or something like that), I just cut and pasted the whole thing.

Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with wikis is allowing anyone to edit them.

-HitScan

Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magus wrote:
The problem with wikis is allowing anyone to edit them.

True.

- FondueDaredevil

- Gabe Newell
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.

By the way, when I read that sig again, wouldn't it be better if it were to end in "for eternity" ?

- FondueDaredevil

- Gabe Newell
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then it wouldn't be a quote. Very Happy

-HitScan

Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. Very Happy

- FondueDaredevil

- Gabe Newell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: