Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

I have an announcement to make!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuffMan
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: I have an announcement to make! Reply with quote

I am going to learn to play the guitar.

Question: how do i do it?
OscarWilde
Unbearable Bliss of Ignorance
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I have an announcement to make! Reply with quote

DuffMan wrote:

Question: how do i do it?

I'm kinda drunk, but the answer is to buy a guitar. Seriously. That's how I started. Well, that and buying a guitar basics book that shows you how to read tabs, explains the basics of scales and how chords are made from scales. After that, it's just passion and hard work.

The passion and hard work is whatever is in you. I LOVE playing the guitar. It's a part of my existence. So practicing hard isn't even a question: I just do it. So you need that too. However, that's for serious guitar mastering. Basic stuff is easy to pick up and is fun too. So give it a try and you'll have fun within a few months. The guitar is one of the best instruments ever.

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
DuffMan
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a guitar already Smile

I borrowed my Mom's acoustic that she had back in her hippie days. She hasn't played it in forever, so I can pretty much have it indefinitely. It has hard metal strings and is difficult to play, but I figure learning on it will be like running with weights, and when I get something else it will seam relatively easy.

Right now I'm just trying to get my stupid left hand do follow my brain and to build callouses. Just learning basic chords and stuff. I think I will focus on learning chords and easy songs I can sing along with. Just fun stuff, I don't have any asperations of becoming a great guitar player, or doing solos or things like that.
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm following the same approach.

So far, I can play D, A and G really well. And C. And E. And F but it feels weird. Don't ask me to play B because I'll die. Oh, and I can play some minor chords, but that's really about it.

And I'm just not getting the callouses. It sucks. I can only practice for a short time before my fingers hurt too much to play anymore. "Drunken Madan Remix" had me in complete and total pain at the end, although I was too happy to care. Very Happy
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuffMan wrote:

Right now I'm just trying to get my stupid left hand do follow my brain and to build callouses. Just learning basic chords and stuff. I think I will focus on learning chords and easy songs I can sing along with. Just fun stuff...

That really is as good a way as any. So you're on the right path. Play what you want to play as opposed to the classical idea of training for instruments. In the end - what I bolded in your post - it's about having fun.
What made me get into the guitar was hearing Slash's solos from Guns'n'Roses. It was the sound of the solo guitar that made me want to play, which is what I ended up learning to play. So it's important to play what you like hearing in a song.

So yeah, you seem to be starting of right. The guitar thing with heavy strings, well, that's not entirely necessary, and will probably do more harm then good. Try to get lighter strings for your acoustic which will be easier on your fingers, thus more fun to play. Developing finger strength is important, but let that take time. I play mostly electric, but I can solo on 12 string acoustic guitars (bends even) and that's mostly because my fingers have gotten strong over time. I admit I tire quicker with acoustic then electric, but that's mostly due to having screwed up wrists and fingers. I have the 'claw' for my left hand, and during winter the pain in my fingers can be pretty bad. Which is why I warn against trying to hard to develop strength. Take it easy, 'no pain no gain' does not apply to guitar (and any string players) because the pain is a sign you're doing a lot of harm. The pain I'm referring to is the joints and wrist. Calluses do take time to develop. Just don't keep playing if you feel pain in your fingers and wrist. I learnt the hard way (self taught too) and now I make sure all young (beginning) guitar players know that. I wish I had some experienced guitar player tell me this when I started out.

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
AllYorBaseRBelong2Us
Infernal Smam Lord
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Location: Gaurding the toenail clipper bag that holds you all!

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mighty AYB approves if this endeavor.

Smile
This and other statistics can be culled from Jeremy Reimer's Personal Computer Market Share: 1975-2002, a very impressive piece of information gathering. The numbers tell some very interesting stories.
- http://lowendmac.com/musings/03/0131.html

Man, I need to get out more. You know smam is getting to you when you go to a canadian restaurant and start wondering about moose cock. -OscarWilde Smile
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllYorBaseRBelong2Us wrote:

Smile

Duffman, with AYB's approval you're almost there. Had he said, 'of this endevour', you'd be all the way towards famous acoustic folk hero; but alas, the mighty one has made a typo and fucked with your destiny. Tragically, that is how god works. Any tragedies that befalls upon your life is because when god was writing your story, god made some typos. i.e.

'Duffman shall find a lot of monkeys at 2pm on November 12th, 2005, and become rich.' Which explains why 10 days ago you found a lot of monkeys instead of money and are currently ducking every time you hear an, 'eek!! eek!! eek!!' and have feces thrown over your head. Why not create a fertilizer product using monkey feces? Could be the sliced bread of the farming industry. You are meant to become rich, just not what god really intended you to become rich with.

Wow, i'm so not making sense in my rambling right now.

Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's different from normal how? Wink Very Happy

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
DuffMan
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
AllYorBaseRBelong2Us wrote:

Smile

Duffman, with AYB's approval you're almost there. Had he said, 'of this endevour', you'd be all the way towards famous acoustic folk hero; but alas, the mighty one has made a typo and fucked with your destiny. Tragically, that is how god works. Any tragedies that befalls upon your life is because when god was writing your story, god made some typos. i.e.

'Duffman shall find a lot of monkeys at 2pm on November 12th, 2005, and become rich.' Which explains why 10 days ago you found a lot of monkeys instead of money and are currently ducking every time you hear an, 'eek!! eek!! eek!!' and have feces thrown over your head. Why not create a fertilizer product using monkey feces? Could be the sliced bread of the farming industry. You are meant to become rich, just not what god really intended you to become rich with.

Wow, i'm so not making sense in my rambling right now.

<neo>Whoa.</neo>
DuffMan
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have decided to take OW's advise and new, softer strings. These strings likely haven't been changed since the 70's and I don't really like the way they sound anyways, very loud and ringgy.

Any advise on what to get? Is brand important? Longer lasting ones or just cheap ones?
Harbinger
Dread Pirate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuffMan wrote:
Any advise on what to get? Is brand important? Longer lasting ones or just cheap ones?

I can say D'Addario, but that's cuz they're the only brand that I can think of right now. Wink

I haven't touched my basses is god knows how long now, sometime in the late 90s. I'm pretty sure my fretless Fender has D'Addarios on them still. By beater Bently has these copper-wound strings (manufacturer unknown ATM) that provide a uniquely fuzzy sound but make your hand smell like you've been carrying a handful of pennies in a sweaty palm. Cheesy smile

Gaah. I don’t tend to bother about slashdot, because quite frankly, the whole _point_ of slashdot is to have this big public wanking session with people getting together and making their own “insightful” comment on any random topic, whether they know anything about it or not. -- Linus Torvalds, 20 Aug 2005

I heard that even small amounts of smam are highly unstable. Like anti-matter, only with polka dots. -- Mord

I don't make up rumors, I just falsify them. -- HitScan

Pentium-M eats G4 alive so quickly that the G4 is still breathing when the P-M shits it out. End of story. -- Hat Monster
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuffMan wrote:
Ok, I have decided to take OW's advise and new, softer strings. These strings likely haven't been changed since the 70's and I don't really like the way they sound anyways, very loud and ringgy.

Avoid the steel strings since they can cause wear and tear on the frets. Get the nickle plated ones, and go for something cheap. Brand is not so important, and even then they are fairly well priced. Strings last as long as you take care of them: don't play with sweaty hands, and wipe the strings down after you play. Lead guitar players tend to eat through strings, but only because they do lots of bends and vibratos which over time can break them. Otherwise, strings last a damn long time. Those who claim strings break really fast for them probably have something wrong where the strings sit on the neck or bridge. If where the string sits is rough and uneven, they will eat into the strings causing them to snap. Point is: strings last a long time.

I use Ernie Ball, but only because it's one of the cheaper ones I can get in HK for my guitars. I also use Fender bullet ends for my Fender, but again, that's just specific to my guitar and not expensive either. D'Addrio's make good strings, and they tend to be similar in price as the other ones. So those are fine too.

Don't bother with the cryogenic strings which 'align' the atoms in the string and give it extra strength, sustain, and brighter tone. They cost more and are a waste of money.

AllYorBaseRBelong2Us
Infernal Smam Lord
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Location: Gaurding the toenail clipper bag that holds you all!

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't bother with the cryogenic strings which 'align' the atoms in the string and give it extra strength, sustain, and brighter tone. They cost more and are a waste of money.

Such treatments are also available for saxophones using the same old "relax the atomic structure" hooks. If' it's bullshit on a string, it's even worse bullshit on a woodwind.

indeed.
This and other statistics can be culled from Jeremy Reimer's Personal Computer Market Share: 1975-2002, a very impressive piece of information gathering. The numbers tell some very interesting stories.
- http://lowendmac.com/musings/03/0131.html

Man, I need to get out more. You know smam is getting to you when you go to a canadian restaurant and start wondering about moose cock. -OscarWilde Smile
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They claim the same thing for WOOD wind instruments? What? Weird. Man, it's like the oxygenated water which is sold at sports stores. Talk about teh insane. I think 'oxygenated water' is water with ozone (O3), but that ozone isn't something helps you as it's toxic.

Maybe if you cleaned your sax with oxygenated water it will sound better? Have you tried it AYB? You should. Tell me if it sounds more mighty. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: