Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Well, I had better get this off my chest.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:51 am    Post subject: Well, I had better get this off my chest. Reply with quote

Disillusionment ensues.

My sister loves it. My folks, which come in to use it every now and again, aren't exatly sold on the idea.

My sis uses the IM a LOT, to keep in touch with her friends(since her cellular phone costs $$) in the city. She also uses the email, the calendar/date systems, the proprietary WB sites and such...

Me? I'm EXTREMELY frustrated.

They told me that the IP would be static. That I would be able to host my own web site.

I can't. It isn't.

The app. indicates that the IP can nutate or stay static but the truth is that the IP is nutating...period.

So I can't host a site and they lied.

They told me that the TOP speed is 1.5mbps but I keep getting between 500kbps and 950kbps, or 725kbps average, which is HALF the top speed they promised.

That, in itself wouldn't be bad had they promised me:

...Great performance on games. Unfortunately, the performance is TERRIBLE on UT, Arena, CS because my pings aren't that great and my latency is TERRIBLE. After reading through reams of web text about ping/latency and the like, I've come to the conclusion that AOL or XP are to blame(probably a little of both).

The ad "smoke dial up users" is just plain propaganda. That's illegal.

So let's recap.

General speed and downloading is good.
Features and available media are good.

Ping/latency are bad. Games mostly unplayable.
Top speed isn't close to 1.5mbps.
No web site hosting. They lied.

Sad

My folks are telling me "I told you so!". My sis is enchanted. I don't want to give up my fast access, since I'll probably lose it for good(no other decent carriers down here..same problems) but, by the same token, I'm paying 55 bucks a month for a 700kbps, non-game playable, non-website hostable ISP.

That's just a TOTAL rip off.

I've called them twice but now I'm TRULY, proFOUNDly pissed off.

I'm calling AOL tonite to get that resolved and they are NOT going to jerk me around anymore.

They're going to tell me how to play the games online, like their ads promised. They're going to tell me how to host my own site, like they promised over the phone. They're going to tell me how I'm supposed to justify such a monthly bill for such a dearth of service...

They're going to tell me because I'm tired of the bullshit.
OscarWilde
Unbearable Bliss of Ignorance
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa! before you go and complain, give some of us a chance to explain why you've not been ripped of (well for most of it) before you go yelling at AOL.

I'm really tierd right now and want to rest for a bit, but i'll get back in an hour or two, or tomorrow morning (its 10pm here).

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you don't think I'm getting ripped? Could you explain? Maybe you're understanding something better than I am...

Sad

J.
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear your first broadband experience was not a happy one, Madan. At least you didn't have people phoning you up at home accusing you of doing 40 gig upload and download in a single month and threatening to cut off your access! (Damn Shaw people, you can burn in hell... Mad)

Are there really no other options for bband in your area?
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there really aren't.

MSN won't service my area.
Bellsouth has the same problems as AOL.

Earthlink has iffy reputation and is almost seventy a month with static IP.

There are two or three smaller ones but they're not much better in terms of service...

I guess da Poopy is right. I should:

A. Stop bitching about my site and just use my ColdFusion server to develop f a site hosted on a free CF host...

B. Stop bitching about Arena and start learning how to play with 350 ping.
Be thankful that I can play NWN reasonably well and Starcraft ok...

C. Be thankful that I have broadband at all.

Nhf. Who knows, maybe iD can help with a response soon.

J
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. Play me at Starcraft. It's okay, I totally suck. I like playing Zerg and Protoss.
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Soon. I just need some time to set everything up.

Let's schedule a match. I need to plan my usage in advance so as to schedule the time. Smile
Socrates
Captain
Captain

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the speed of your connection is a function of proximity to the central station in your area.

People around here, on the fringes are lucky to get 300k.

Some of us, near the new hub, get T1 speeds, 1.2 mb/sec.

Luck of the draw.

Fixed IP is a big deal.

Good luck on that one.

s
AlphaMeridian
Gatekeeper of the Beginner Internet
Commander
Commander

srilanka.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Perhaps if my boxen does not crasheth (like it used to) I may get on on the starcraft goodness (i'm assuming this means Brood War)

-Alpha

So Lonestar, now you see why evil will always triumph because good is dumb!
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM, I would definitely like for you to play too.

The more the merrier.

Keep Reimer from killing me quickly. Wink

Very Happy
Socrates
Captain
Captain

blank.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does a router work with a non-static IP?

Can't remember...

s
AlphaMeridian
Gatekeeper of the Beginner Internet
Commander
Commander

srilanka.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does a router work with a non-static IP?

It should. As long as the router is given all of your information then it should act just as a computer would. (some routers support PPPoE and stuff).

If it doens't, then you can set it up to act like the IP is static, and when it changes, reconfigure it or something.

-Alpha

So Lonestar, now you see why evil will always triumph because good is dumb!
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madan: My IP is dynamic (per se, since my router is connected to the cable modem, it nevers releases the IP Very Happy ) and I use DynDNS for dynamic DNS. I'm hosting off a machine not a foot away from me. Smile

Sorry about all the trouble. Sad

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I popped 128mb of RAM in the machine. PNY RAM. PC 133.

It helps a BIT, on the performance but my pings still dangle around 350. Way too high for any game.

I find that I do well in games against 3-4 ppl, where I can leverage sneakiness to compensate for my .... slowness.

But in small games 1vs1, I get owned. I can't move.
DrPizza
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, I had better get this off my chest. Reply with quote

Madan wrote:
They told me that the IP would be static. That I would be able to host my own web site.

I can't. It isn't.

Excuse me, Madan, but that is utter bullshit.

Quote:
The app. indicates that the IP can nutate or stay static but the truth is that the IP is nutating...period.

I'm not sure how you can use nutate in this context. Do you mean it's changing?

Anyway, you can serve sites just fine from dynamic addresses.

Quote:
They told me that the TOP speed is 1.5mbps but I keep getting between 500kbps and 950kbps, or 725kbps average, which is HALF the top speed they promised.

Er.... All "top speed" means is that once in a blue moon you might get a given speed. It doesn't mean you'll see that speed in practice. It doesn't mean that

Quote:
...Great performance on games. Unfortunately, the performance is TERRIBLE on UT, Arena, CS because my pings aren't that great and my latency is TERRIBLE. After reading through reams of web text about ping/latency and the like, I've come to the conclusion that AOL or XP are to blame(probably a little of both).

What have you read that suggests that XP is to blame?

Quote:

Oh? 750 kbit/sec average is a hell of a lot faster than any dial-up I've ever seen.

And the whining about a 350 ms ping is fucking lame.
,91^c||(v=*p?main(-1,v+1),v-1:main(0,v)),++v);else for(;c+=!(91^*v)-!(93^*v)
;++v);return v;} /*     brainf*** program as argv[1] */

<DigitalFury>please don't use any of my quotes as sigs at osy.</DigitalFury>
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Madan wrote:

I can't. It isn't.

Excuse me, Madan, but that is utter bullshit.

??

No. Before signing up, my exact question was:

Me:"Will I have a static IP? Will I be able to host a server off of my machine?"

AOL:"Yes."

Me:"Are you sure? I really need a static IP."

AOL:"Absolutely. You get a static IP."

So why you think that's "bullshit" is none of my concern.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not sure how you can use nutate in this context. Do you mean it's changing?

Anyway, you can serve sites just fine from dynamic addresses.

I'm aware that you can but the problem is, if I give you an IP today and tomorrow it's something else, will you be able to reach the site unless I CONSTANTLY give you a "heads up" about the IP?

No.

Quote:

Quote:

Er.... All "top speed" means is that once in a blue moon you might get a given speed. It doesn't mean you'll see that speed in practice. It doesn't mean that

I know. But I expected 66%-76% of the "top speed". Somewhere around 1mbps...not HALF of what they promise is a top speed.

If you buy a car that is "supposed" to drive at 180mph and it, in fact moves at 150/130mph, you'll be pissed but not enormously. If, in fact, the car only moves at 90mph, you'll be profoundly pissed.

Quote:

Quote:

What have you read that suggests that XP is to blame?

Because I have friends on 2k and 98 that are getting pings of 250. Not great to be sure but, on average, about 150 below mine.

I've also seen XP complaints about Quake III. Most likely, as Jeremy said, they didn't optimize Arena for XP but, again, I don't see why they should. After all, everyone touts that XP is almost as good as 98 for games...

Quote:

Quote:

Oh? 750 kbit/sec average is a hell of a lot faster than any dial-up I've ever seen.

Bullshit.

On snailband AOL, my ping was 725. Never higher. I've had dialup jockeys wax my ass because my ping MAXES OUT at 999 ceilings.

You can't "smoke" any dialup user if your ping and latency are 33% higher than theirs. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
And the whining about a 350 ms ping is fucking lame.

Fuck you. If you can whine like a bitch about FPS being unacceptable at 40FPS, I can bitch about unplayable ping levels.

At 350 ping, you're getting a connection loss of over 60%.

That means I'm a fucking tree more than half the time.

Go blow yourself.

<j>
PaoloM
The King Of Crap
Captain
Captain

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madan wrote:

No. Before signing up, my exact question was:

Me:"Will I have a static IP? Will I be able to host a server off of my machine?"

AOL:"Yes."

Me:"Are you sure? I really need a static IP."

AOL:"Absolutely. You get a static IP."

So why you think that's "bullshit" is none of my concern.

No broadband provider will give you a static ip in the basic package. What was written in the contract you signed?
Quote:
I'm aware that you can but the problem is, if I give you an IP today and tomorrow it's something else, will you be able to reach the site unless I CONSTANTLY give you a "heads up" about the IP?

No.

dyndns.org will do exactly that. Basically you register a third level domain with dyndns.org or some other similar services (mine is thatpaolo.homeip.net) and you download a little client that sits in the tray and keeps updating the main dns server everytime your IP changes. Painless and works everytime.

As a matter of fact, my router/wireless adapter/switch (Netgear RT314) has that client in firmware, so I don't even care, everything works without me knowing.
Quote:
I know. But I expected 66%-76% of the "top speed". Somewhere around 1mbps...not HALF of what they promise is a top speed.

Speed depends on a lot of factors. The actual "last mile" is not the most important of them.

Quote:

Bullshit.

On snailband AOL, my ping was 725. Never higher. I've had dialup jockeys wax my ass because my ping MAXES OUT at 999 ceilings.

You can't "smoke" any dialup user if your ping and latency are 33% higher than theirs. Rolling Eyes

I don't understand. Can you repeat this?
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You heard me.

A. They promised me a static IP.

B. My ping is lower on bband than snailband(on some occasions).

I know it shouldn't be...but it is.
PaoloM
The King Of Crap
Captain
Captain

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madan wrote:
You heard me.

A. They promised me a static IP.

I understand, but unless it's in writing, you don't have a base to complain upon. Sorry, but contracts suck.

Quote:
B. My ping is lower on bband than snailband(on some occasions).

I know it shouldn't be...but it is.

A lower ping is better. A "ping" measures the time a signal goes from your computer to the target and back. Lower means faster. LAN pings are usually < 10ms.
arhra
Acting Sub-Lieutenant
Acting Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll second what everyone else has said: Dynamic DNS is your friend. i use dyndns.org and directupdate, which is a client that runs as a service. does the job perfectly (although i havent' really had to worry about it... i've had the same dhcp-assigned IP address for over a year now... still, typing arhra.ath.cx is a lot easier than trying to remember my ip). for a small one-off fee, you can even get them to do dynamic dns for a domain name you've registered.
OscarWilde
Unbearable Bliss of Ignorance
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, i didn't mean you had no reason to bitch, i meant that for some of the things you mentioned, its a bit of misunderstanding going around.

First of, static IP. What PaoloM is saying, and what i was wondering last night, was, its one thing to be told you can get static IP, which AOL can provide, and another when you sign a contract that doesn't give you static IP. Did you sign the right contract/deal? If you have, and it does say under no BS lawer language, you are to have static IP, i would take it up with AOL immediately.

Again, as Peter said, www.dyndns.org, should really be enough to do what you want. Static IP's tend to come at a cost, and something I don't think warrants it unless you're running a public website, be it business or something like arstechnica. Its really easy to setup and better yet is that you can have a lot of names attached to your website (not sure what the policy is for static ip addresses and domain name, but i do believe there is a limit).

As for broadband speeds, what Peter said. That is your max speed and something you can get depending on the server you are accessing (i.e. downloading a file) and how many servers in between. Try the Apple website or Microsoft website for downloads. I always get close to max downloads from them, because they tend to have servers all over the nation to take care of user loads (Apple uses Akamai). Anyway, you can't really bitch at them about the not always getting 1.5Mbps because its more to do with the nature of the internet then anything else. More importantly, you are using AOL, and no its not because AOL sucks, its because AOL is one of the largest internet providers in America. That means you have a lot more users logged in at a given time taking up the bandwidth pipe they have and server resources. Its also what i was elluding to when I was talking about Quake 3 and pings.

I can tell you that its not Windows XP and Win2k that is limiting you. Both have really good TCP/IP stacks. AOL however, back in the old days, installed its own TCP/IP stack iirc, and that can be a problem depending on how AOL configures its client to server traffic. This is all a guess on my part, but it makes sense in a way.

More importantly, since you are using a very popular ISP, you have to understand that there are more users online that take a chunk out of what AOL can give at a time. Bandwidth is not infinite, nor are server resources. So even if you use AOL during non peak hours, you're still fighting against the rest of the world that is connected to the internet. I know, because when i check american websites during the day (US time zones), webpages take for ever to download, versus when i check US websites during the times when most americans are asleep, i can access websites with no hitch.

goto, www.tucows.com , its a download site but allows you to choose the server mirrors according to you preferences. In HK, i choose the my ISP mirrors, which means i get (sorta) direct connection to the files and download at max speeds.

Basically the point is, its not that easy saying you should get max speeds when so many factors are involved.

As for static IP, i would first check the deal you signed, and if you are supposed to have Static IP then bitch to them.

Oh, and because your friend a few miles away has better performance doesn't mean you necessarily get better download performance either. The closer your house is to a broadband switch, the better your performance is. I have read that if you're within a mile from an ISP broadband switch, the better your broadband performance is.

Lots of factors involved. HK is a tiny island, and my local ISP routers and switches are literally a 15 minute walk away from where I live. I know, i've been there and seen them. Very Happy

edit: uh, i edited my post and it didn't get edited. Odd.
Anyway, i wanted to say that Paolo and Arhra posted while i was typing my post and they said what i wrote, bet they did it better and with a lot fewer words. Very Happy

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A lower ping is better. A "ping" measures the time a signal goes from your computer to the target and back. Lower means faster. LAN pings are usually < 10ms.

I know. You pounced on my typo. Wink Reread my post. My bband ping is HIGHER than my snailband ping.

Quote:

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 3:09 pm    Post subject:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'll second what everyone else has said: Dynamic DNS is your friend. i use dyndns.org and directupdate, which is a client that runs as a service. does the job perfectly (although i havent' really had to worry about it... i've had the same dhcp-assigned IP address for over a year now... still, typing arhra.ath.cx is a lot easier than trying to remember my ip). for a small one-off fee, you can even get them to do dynamic dns for a domain name you've registered.

Let me see if I understand this: DYDNS allows me to have a DN with a rotating IP right?

But I wasn't planning on having a DN: Just use an IP for the time being.

So how is that service going to help me now? Wink

Quote:

Sorry, i didn't mean you had no reason to bitch, i meant that for some of the things you mentioned, its a bit of misunderstanding going around.

First of, static IP. What PaoloM is saying, and what i was wondering last night, was, its one thing to be told you can get static IP, which AOL can provide, and another when you sign a contract that doesn't give you static IP. Did you sign the right contract/deal? If you have, and it does say under no BS lawer language, you are to have static IP, i would take it up with AOL immediately.

Again, as Peter said, www.dyndns.org, should really be enough to do what you want. Static IP's tend to come at a cost, and something I don't think warrants it unless you're running a public website, be it business or something like arstechnica. Its really easy to setup and better yet is that you can have a lot of names attached to your website (not sure what the policy is for static ip addresses and domain name, but i do believe there is a limit).

You're right. I'm going to develop in CF on my machine and port it to a free CF host.

Quote:

As for broadband speeds, what Peter said. That is your max speed and something you can get depending on the server you are accessing (i.e. downloading a file) and how many servers in between. Try the Apple website or Microsoft website for downloads. I always get close to max downloads from them, because they tend to have servers all over the nation to take care of user loads (Apple uses Akamai). Anyway, you can't really bitch at them about the not always getting 1.5Mbps because its more to do with the nature of the internet then anything else. More importantly, you are using AOL, and no its not because AOL sucks, its because AOL is one of the largest internet providers in America. That means you have a lot more users logged in at a given time taking up the bandwidth pipe they have and server resources. Its also what i was elluding to when I was talking about Quake 3 and pings.

You're right.
arhra
Acting Sub-Lieutenant
Acting Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madan wrote:
Quote:

Let me see if I understand this: DYDNS allows me to have a DN with a rotating IP right?

But I wasn't planning on having a DN: Just use an IP for the time being.

So how is that service going to help me now? Wink

you don't need a domain name, in fact, having them host dns services for your own domain will usually cost you ($30 one-off fee in the case of dyndns.org). However, for absolutely no money whatsoever, nada, zero, zilch, $0, FREE, you can have a subdomain on any one of these domain names, which you can have dynamically pointing at your dynamic IP address. Think about it, which is easier to remember, a bare dotted quad, or madan.kicks-ass.net (or whatever)?

The app i linked up is a util that runs in teh background, constantly watching your address, and when it notices that it's changed, it updates the website with the new address (well, it's got a few other cool features too, like email notifications, the ability to upload a webpage via ftp, it can launch an arbitrary program [useful for scripts to update things when the address changes, etc], restart services, etc).

It really is a brilliant service, and whoever thought it up was a fucking genius. And best of all, it doesn't cost a dime (well, the client app i linked is nagware, but it's not all that annoying, and if you do feel like registering it, it's only $15).
arhra
Acting Sub-Lieutenant
Acting Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, there's a big huge list of providers, along with a semi-technical overview of how it all works, here
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: