Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

How does someone find out how fast their bband connection is
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OscarWilde
Unbearable Bliss of Ignorance
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you're using AOL, maybe AOL has some things in the background that effects latency in games. You should find out if its specific to AOL, that area, or the server side.

Plus, I wonder if internet cache has any effect on this stuff. I don't know how the internet caching works, other then it should only be caching websites and ftp sites(i think), but maybe AOl thinks your game is asking for internet cache or whatever. Its sorta like when the game starts up it gets the server fresh, and then once the game starts, AOL first goes to its cache server, and seeing as nothing is there that is related to what your game needs, then relays to the quake 3 server. Just a very uneducated guess on my part.

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's using AOL? Surprised

Ok, that explains everything.

Go and get a real ISP.

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riso wrote:
He's using AOL? Surprised

Ok, that explains everything.

Go and get a real ISP.

Very Happy You do know madan's going to get really upset at that.

Seriously though, it might have to do with AOL. Madan, start a thread at some game forum and ask if people with AOL were experiencing similar problems and if there is a work around. A better and faster way is to google: AOL Quake 3 pings (or latency).

if it ain't on google, then it ain't anywhere else.

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it seems we weren't totally of the mark, sorta:

http://www.planetquake.com/deathmatch101/q3/guide.asp?page=q3dm3.htm

a quote from that page:
Quote:

Also, if you're using a service such as AOL to connect to the Internet then you may have trouble connecting at high speeds. Many AOL users have reported poor connection speeds with previous Quake games. I've also heard reports of players getting acceptable connection rates over AOL. The moral of the story is this: AOL may or may not work with Quake III. Download the Quake III demo first and try it out. Also, make sure you have the most recent version of the AOL software.

Its not conclusive, but it might be a point in the right direction.

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://members.aol.com/rjdriver/quakefaq.htm

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gamespy3d.com/using/gspyfaq.shtml

Quote:

# I am an AOL user. Can I use GameSpy?

Yes you can, but only if you use AOL 3.0 for Windows95 or better. It will not work with Win3.1 or WinNT. We don't recommend using AOL to play 3D Games like Quake anyway, your performance will be quite lagged especially at peak times.

Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not AOL.

It's XP. The same board you linked to has a tech forum and tons of XP ppl are reporting difficulties connecting through XP + DSL.

Here's one:

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetquake/topic.asp?fid=1490&tid=795602

Apparently, there's a setting *somewhere* that can make my problems go away.

Finding it, with this new menu-hidden UI is another story.

:angry:
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pings for NWN are under 100.

I just asked a friend about his 2k/AOL DSL connection and he's getting Arena pings of 150.

So something's wrong with my end.
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada
1st Lord of the Admiralty

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it an XP problem, if people without AOL don't have the problem?

That makes it an AOL problem. AOL has to adapt to XP, not the other way around. I mean, who is the Evil Emperor Master of the Universe anyway? It sure as hell ain't Stevie Case...
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I went to that forum, and there's like one guy complaining about Q3 and XP. How is that "lots of people"? He probably had a bad NIC card in that box.
"Those afraid of the universe as it really is, those who pretend to nonexistent knowledge and envision a Cosmos centered on human beings will prefer the fleeting comforts of superstition. They avoid rather than confront the world. But those with the courage to explore the weave and structure of the Cosmos, even where it differs profoundly from their wishes and prejudices, will penetrate its deepest mysteries."
-- Carl Sagan

"Its not a rule. Its just something I noticed. Several of us have more than one sig." - Mord

"No, you are a troll, and I should have never let you back to Ars in after the first 16,000 bannings." - Caesar, to He Who Shall Not Be Named
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smam.

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Reimer wrote:
Dude, I went to that forum, and there's like one guy complaining about Q3 and XP. How is that "lots of people"? He probably had a bad NIC card in that box.

C'mon, do you really think you can penetrate a steve proof RDF with logic?

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
Socrates
Captain
Captain

blank.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

How is it an XP problem, if people without AOL don't have the problem?

That makes it an AOL problem. AOL has to adapt to XP, not the other way around. I mean, who is the Evil Emperor Master of the Universe anyway? It sure as hell ain't Stevie Case...

???

First of all, all the Poopy links are AOL snailband. They speak nothing about AOL bband. Read them yourself. They're even talking about Q2, not that I'm not thankful that Poopy is trying to help.

As for that link, it's simply ONE of MANY that I've found.

One of my coworkers plays Arena on 2k through the very same AOL bband and he only lives 25 min. away from me.

So I'm not entirely convinced that it's only "AOL's fault". I refuse to believe that 3.5 miles in living locations make a 749 ping difference. :/
Jeremy Reimer
King of Canada

canada.gif
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

One of my coworkers plays Arena on 2k through the very same AOL bband and he only lives 25 min. away from me.

So I'm not entirely convinced that it's only "AOL's fault". I refuse to believe that 3.5 miles in living locations make a 749 ping difference. :/

The simple truth is that AOL has to test and adapt their software to work with Windows XP, not the other way around.

So it is AOL's fault. AOL software does all sorts of low-level crap at the networking layer. XP changes a bunch of networking layer stuff. AOL obviously forgot to test running Quake 3 on their high speed connection with XP. The problem is with AOL, not XP.
-- Carl Sagan

Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
AOL obviously forgot to test running Quake 3 on their high speed connection with XP.

Actually, I don't think they bothered to test it with 2k either. I mean, 250 ping isn't great on 2k.

I don't know. I'm stuck between AOL and a hard place.

*sigh*

<j>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: