Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Yet Another Flash Question For Madan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacUser3of5
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Yet Another Flash Question For Madan Reply with quote

Hmm...

Essentially, this is between Adobe LiveMotion and Flash MX... I'm not sure which is right for me, as every comparison I've seen on the web sucks or is very incomplete.

I'm not an Adobe person or a Macromedia person, but I have Fireworks MX and Adobe Illustrator, so I know their 'systems', so to speak.

I'm just not really sure which to use. For pity's sake captain, I'm just a designer! Wink

What would you recommend?
More questions to come, when I think of them...

Also, I would like to apologize for my rude behavior... I was having a bad few days, and let my attitude take the better of me. Sad I am truly sorry.
Madan
Gone.
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Livemotion and Flash are pretty much the same application.

In terms of interfaces, the Adobe Livemotion app is better because:

A. The interface is more efficient and better mimics the Adobe suite interface.
B. Livemotion allows to alter and modify your script debugging pane to your preferences.
C. Livemotion utilizes a really complex bitmap/vector hybrid system that allows users to create feathering and gradiation in animations much better than all-vector Flash.

A.However, Flash has some advantages, most notably with its new MX support for XML, as well as its tight integration with ColdFusion, when dealing with dynamic content(that LM doesn't really have)...
B. Flash also has a much more robust implementation of Actionscript(which Livemotion licensed and uses). This means that complex applications that rely on programming muscle are better on Flash because the libraries are more expansive and the AS features are more well rounded. It makes sense since they built AS and have had it longer than any other app.
C. There's a WEALTH of applications and scripts for Flash, not to mentoin a TREMENDOUS user/social community for it, which simply isn't evident for LM...yet.

All in all, if I had to phrase things succingtly, I'd have to say that LM is good for making very visual(read : pretty) animations quickly and easily. It's also good for soom cheap lil' apps. You should also use LM if you intend to learn Photoshop, as the two interfaces will complement each other and minimize the learning curve.

If, otoh, you're looking for complex applications, with a rich background in sophisticated applications and you aren't afraid to get your "hands dirty" with the Flash UI, Flash would be better. It can create movies just like LM(although it's harder and they don't look quite as pretty) and it can leverage other technologies like QT embedding and 3D file reading to get some really spectacular results.

Use the following.

Flash:
-Sophisticated applications utilizing dynamic code, complex Actionscript, XML, ColdFusion or other media technologies like QT.
-Use if you're not afraid of a steep learning curve and if you know that you'll be able to use the forums for help.

Livemotion:
-Use Livemotion if you like to customize your environment and if you prefer to use an app. with a relatively easy(and prevalent) Adobe-type UI.
-Use Livemotion if you're focusing on simple but graphical effects like animations/rollovers etc. and you think that the extra graphical quality is worth it.
-Use Livemotion if you think that you'll be using other Adobe apps heavily and you want to streamline the process.

Blah, whatever.
MacUser3of5
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that helped Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: