Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Soooooo.... I got an HDTV and I love it but....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Soooooo.... I got an HDTV and I love it but.... Reply with quote

Okay so I've been trying to convince the wife that we need an HDTV ever since I got my XBOX 360. I was trying to lowball the purchase and tell her I just wanted a non-LCD non-widescreen HDTV so that we could save money. Today she says, "Why bother with that kind of HDTV? I mean if we are going to buy one, lets buy a really nice LCD widescreen one? It seems like a waste otherwise."

Oh my god. I love this woman. Of course we just found out today that we will be paying $2300 less than we originally anticipated for our 2005 taxes.... (long long story - dont ask) so that left us with $2300 of cash burning a hole in our pockets as we had set aside a reasonable amount of money for the expense.

So I went out and grabbed myself a 32" LCD widescreen Toshiba HDTV from that den of inequity, Best Buy. After buying some HD Component cables for my cable company supplied DVR, ordering HDTV service from them and buying the appropriate HD Component cables for my XBOX 360.... everything freaking rocks. Of course I found out something that annoyed me....

The cable company told me that I will not be able to watch the Super Bowl in HDTV as they don't yet rebroadcast Fox in HD. That being the case, the operator suggested that I purchase an HD Antenna and use that to tune into the game. So I've been looking at these things online and I have a few questions:

1) Are they supposed to have only coax connections? Won't that reduce the quality as it appears on the television?

2) And reccomendations on a good indoor brand of antenna?

3) Any other hints and tips?

Thanks in advance for your help. Oh and while EA may be the living and breathing antichrist when it comes to gaming... the XBOX 360 Fight Night 3 demo looks <-> this close to real on this TV. It really is so good to see that console games can finally look just as sharp and as nice as PC games Very Happy
lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Soooooo.... I got an HDTV and I love it but.... Reply with quote

Jay wrote:
1) Are they supposed to have only coax connections? Won't that reduce the quality as it appears on the television?

No. All aerials have coax connections, there's only two wires going up there after all Smile
OscarWilde
Unbearable Bliss of Ignorance
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only component and HDMI/DVI will give you true HDTV signals as far as I'm aware. More importantly, your tv is designed to accept HDTV feeds from component, HDMI or DVI. I think what you get with the antenna is a degraded widescreen* version which is not what true HDTV specs are meant to be.

*By that I mean that you're still getting HDTV, but without the higher resolution and color quality of HDTV, you're just getting the widescreen aspect ratio that is part of the HDTV.

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about ESPN? There are about ten million ESPN HD channels, at least up here. I mean, American football broadcast in HD is a big part of what got HD adoption rates going in North America.

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:
What about ESPN? There are about ten million ESPN HD channels, at least up here. I mean, American football broadcast in HD is a big part of what got HD adoption rates going in North America.

Yeah I get ESPN HD - however the Super Bowl is being broadcast only by Fox. Given the big money a network can rake in when it comes to the ad revenue, it doesn't suprise me in the least that they pay top dollar for exclusive rights to the broadcast.

My cable company just doesn't rebroadcast a FOX HD signal right now. The HD package (an additional 7 bucks a month) only actually nets me 13 HD enabled channels. Everything else is still the same old quality as it was before, only it looks a bit bigger and better on the new TV.

Honestly though the XBOX drove my HD adoption. The Sports are kind of secondary as I don't watch many Sporting events that aren't considered champion level (except Boxing which I love). Speaking of which, here is a shot snapped of the thing for a buddy last night when some boxing was one HBO HD:

Not the best shot - but I think thats more an issue with my four year old Kodak Digital Camera than the TV itself. The thing really does look spectacular.

Last edited by Jay on Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
Only component and HDMI/DVI will give you true HDTV signals as far as I'm aware. More importantly, your tv is designed to accept HDTV feeds from component, HDMI or DVI. I think what you get with the antenna is a degraded widescreen* version which is not what true HDTV specs are meant to be.

Thats good to know that I wasn't off base. I wasn't able to comprehend how coax could provide that good of a transmission given that everything else HD seems to use HD Component Cables. I can handle two different sets of these cables in the TV, but both of them are already in use due to my DVR and my XBOX 360.

I think I'll go out and buy an antenna today and see how I do with it.....
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of a, 'did you know:'
EDTV (i.e. DVD + Progressive scan) is supposed to be pretty good, so it's not always the case that you need HDTV to get impressive visual quality.

However, oddly enough, not all the components in your TV can handle progressive scan. For example, component 1 in can handle progressive scan, but component 2 in will not handle progressive scan. I've read this on line while doing research on HDTV, and it was also noted in the instruction manual for my parent's Samsung 32inch LCD HDTV they got around two months ago.
Why this is the case, I have no idea. What does the instruction manual say for your HDTV Jay?

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antenna Web is your friend.

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Oscar mate, the signal has to go through the air which is not really noted for ease of transmission, but it's still HD. And it's broadcast digitally so it's not really that bad, they might well squeeze up the MPEGing more than for cable feeds. I'd think you'd need an outdoor antennae though. A single pair of wires can easily carry better quality picture than three pairs if the single pair are using digital stuff. Probly not in this case though Smile

It's perfectly possible to get SD TV in widescreen BTW.

Progressive-scan the proper way needs extra chips and whatnot, so the manufacturer's aren't going to put it on everywhere unnessecarily, I guess.
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewis wrote:
Well, Oscar mate, the signal has to go through the air which is not really noted for ease of transmission, but it's still HD. And it's broadcast digitally so it's not really that bad, they might well squeeze up the MPEGing more than for cable feeds. I'd think you'd need an outdoor antennae though. A single pair of wires can easily carry better quality picture than three pairs if the single pair are using digital stuff. Probly not in this case though Smile

I didn't know HD signals were being broadcasted digitally through the air. I just assumed that it was all cable and required special digital HD cable boxes, that HD in the US was done with land lines. We don't have local HD tv in HK even, so everything I know is just based on what I've read on line, which is just limited to what I was originally looking for, namely, what HDTV is.

Quote:
Oh, I know that. You misread what I said. I was trying say that maybe Jay would just end up with a degraded HD signal, but at least he'd get the widescreen aspect ratio. In HK, the local TV stations that re-broadcast US shows, like say, 24, do so with the edited for TV 4:3. Which suck when you have a widescreen TV. I just download the HDTV shows and watch them instead.

Quote:
Progressive-scan the proper way needs extra chips and whatnot, so the manufacturer's aren't going to put it on everywhere unnessecarily, I guess.

Does make sense.

lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No HD in this country either, but we have loads of digital SDTV over the air.

Be interesting to see what would happen with poor digital reception. Probably cause the MPEG decoder to shit its pants in interesting tile-based ways Smile Wonder if it's more offensive than soft noisy picture in the same way I find MP3 more offensive than poorly-pressed vinyl.
Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
Why this is the case, I have no idea. What does the instruction manual say for your HDTV Jay?

It says that either HD Component input (there are 2) can handle Progressive scan devices Very Happy Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on that... I'm just not that big on manuals so I had almost forgotten about it until I went back through this thread.
Mord
Console Cowboy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

tanzania.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be a bubble burster, but if I'm going to spend that much on a tv, its going to be twice the size.

Gabe: I wish you weren't a fucking liar.
Tycho: I'm not a liar.
Gabe: Well, I wish you didn't lie.
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewis wrote:

As far as signal is concerned with HDTV you will either get one or not; there is no in-between like you would see in analog.

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jay
Ex OSYer
Captain
Captain

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mord wrote:
Sorry to be a bubble burster, but if I'm going to spend that much on a tv, its going to be twice the size.

Size isn't everything Mord Wink It really is too bad I hate projection TVs so much though.... it would've been a whole lot cheaper.
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't even like DLP? I'm looking at something along the lines of a 42" DLP later this year. My one concern is the response time for gaming purposes -- I will not abide ghosting.

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
DuffMan
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your TV have an HD tuner built in? If not, you need more than just an antenna, you need a HD receiver, something like this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pro-Brand-HDTV-Receiver-HD3150PLUS-/sem/rpsm/oid/136560/catOid/-12889/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

If the TV does have an HD tuner, the coaxial cable will give you the HD signal you desire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: