Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Cowboy Bebop is teh win!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me commences the wget rapage of Magus' serbar...

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Glad you're enjoying it so far, twinkster Smile

Don't see you in the server logs, though...

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should, I've been wgetting for over two hours now. Smile Currently:

Cowboy Bebop/Future Blues/Cowboy Bebop 13 Butterfly.mp3

I'm watching disc 3, so wish me luck!

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I get for skimming. Smile

Bleh, I need to setup a robots.txt to block spiders. Stupid Google et al.

Anyone know about such? I want to prevent bots from hitting the music, but still allow wget.

Hmm...

Code:

User-agent: Wget
Allow: *
User-agent: *
Disallow: /aspnet_client/
Disallow: /digital cds/
Disallow: /mp3/
Disallow: /wma/

seems to work for me, but some external testing would be good too. Smile

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disc 3 played fine! Woo! Very Happy

I don't know anything about robots.txt, but the wget rapage continues! Smile

Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That means it hopefully works. Very Happy

Something tells me you're enjoying Bebop...

-HitScan

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Very Happy

I think I got all of the music last night -- I have 198 songs, is that right?

Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right. Smile

-HitScan

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. It's great stuff, too. Thanks! Very Happy

I'm about to watch Session 22. Cool

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mild spoiler warning coming in my next post. Skip it if you don't want to risk spoilage.

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magus:

WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T YOU WARN ME ABOUT THE LAST EPISDODE?!?

DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE

<3

*sigh*

That was fantastic. What a great show...

Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because that would have ruined it for you? Very Happy

Now, go back and watch again, this time for the less obvious story. A lot more of the subtle comments about Spike's past should stand out, as should his motivations. Further, it's no coincidence how often you see him napping on the Bebop...

All in all, Cowboy Bebop is like Firefly; both leave you begging for more. Smile

-HitScan

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. Razz

I need to let it stew for a while, though. I need to mull stuff like this over rather than diving right back into it. I figure I'll wait for my girlfriend's next visit (about a week, she'll be here about five days) and then see if she wants to watch some or all of it with me. We did that with Firefly, 'cause she'd only seen a couple of episodes before she started dating me. And then she saw a sneak preview showing of Serenity before I got there to see it with her. *grumble* Wink

Yeah. Bebop was awesome. I'm definitely glad I own the DVDs and can watch them at my leisure. Definitely left me begging for more. Smile

FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHINY!

-HitScan

AllYorBaseRBelong2Us
Infernal Smam Lord
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Location: Gaurding the toenail clipper bag that holds you all!

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or is it silly?
This and other statistics can be culled from Jeremy Reimer's Personal Computer Market Share: 1975-2002, a very impressive piece of information gathering. The numbers tell some very interesting stories.
- http://lowendmac.com/musings/03/0131.html

Man, I need to get out more. You know smam is getting to you when you go to a canadian restaurant and start wondering about moose cock. -OscarWilde Smile
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome. Very Happy

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So at the start of Sympathy for the Devil, when Spike is dreaming about having stuff done to him by doctors... I'm not clear on what's going on there. I take the implication to be that Spike, Sid, and a few other incidental characters (Vincent in the movie, for instance) were all part of this program and were all on Titan together, but all that is ever explicitly stated in the show is that Spike and Sid were in the syndicate together.

Was Spike on Titan as well? Or is this particular dream sequence related to something else entirely that I've missed?

Added: We watched the first two discs while she was here. We will be watching the rest of the series together over the course of our next few visits. Plus we played a bunch of We <3 Katamari and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Smile

Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid? Oh, Vicious? Heh... He's never given any other name than "Vicious".

White font for spoilers.

In the dream you're talking about, Spike is undergoing surgery to replace the eye he lost. Like many things about the deeper story, it's never explicitly said, but it is heavily implied that Spike lost his eye in the cathedral gun battle when he left the Syndicate. Shown in flashbacks, it's the one with roses and was supposed to precede escaping with Julia. The significance of the eye is stated in The Real Folk Blues, pt2, where Spike says one sees the present, the other sees the past. His artifical eye (clearly functioning, not decorative) is a constant reminder of the life he left behind.

The deep story is that ever since he faked his death and lost Julia, he's been just drifting through life, or "dreaming". He only feels awake and alive when there's danger, as MANY of his comments show. He slowly realizes that he actually has a new life on the Bebop, and so "wakes up". Thus, facing Vicious is to confirm that new life by finally breaking off the old, and to protect the people in his new life. The philosophy and attack approach he uses are VERY much like that in The Hagakure.

As for Titan, we don't know if Spike served there. Vicious, Gren, and Vincent are known soldiers, and it's implied that Vicious was already a Red Dragon at that time. Hence his betraying Gren. As Spike never has memories of service, nor any far back enough to precede that war, it seems unlikely he was on Titan

So, long enough answer? Very Happy

-HitScan

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I thought Vicious was his last name and that his first was Sid. I'm not sure why.

White spoiler stuff:

The eye! Of course! That makes perfect sense. It makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. I prefer Spike not having been on Titan.

HitScan
More portable than j00
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:
For some reason I thought Vicious was his last name and that his first was Sid. I'm not sure why.

I have an idea. Smile

"I was going to write my congressman, but I can't find my checkbook." - /. poster

"Wiffleball bats are good, because they can be retrofitted with lead pipes." - Harbinger
Riso
Commodore
Commodore

austria.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thats evil Razz

"Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerous ways Lord Reimer, your sad devotion to that ancient OS have not helped you conjure up the Guru Meditation or given you clarvoyance enough to find 1% marketshare"
- FondueDaredevil

"[...] we view customers as complete morons that will never catch on and [...] we're lying to them all the time."
- Gabe Newell
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Well, that would indeed explain it. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: