Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

I'm back...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: I'm back... Reply with quote

Here's my latest effort, I think I might try to grow it into a full-on song. Smile

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
OscarWilde
Unbearable Bliss of Ignorance
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I like the song a lot. The velocity* of the single piano notes needs a wee bit of work, but otherwise, very nice piece of work. Probably your best stuff i've heard so far, IMO.

*Can you adjust the velocity of the notes with the app you're using? I'm assuming you're using your keyboard via midi, right? Actually, in between the song, the velocity adds flavor. So don't change those. Just the ones in the beginning. Don't make it all even either. Or I'll fly down to Canada (where ever you are) and smack you. Wink Very Happy

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm not using MIDI. I'm just recording audio [added: in GarageBand]. Smile So the velocity is unadjustable.

I really need to get a decent recording microphone for my acoustic guitar, and a drum machine/electronic drum kit...

Damn, after this and some of my other relationship salvations, I really have a huuuuge stockpile of date karma. Like stumbling into a professional dominatrix at a bookstore at the science fiction section while reaching for the same book kind of karma. -- Happysin, on Ars
Magus
Tolkien Loremaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does velocity have some musical meaning of which I'm not aware? I see it and think in physics terms... Smile

1 The Network is my domain, I shall not want; 2 though it makes me wait upon collision, it leads me to the Internet; 3 it restores my connection. It leads me in paths of hypertext transfer for google's sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of power failures, I fear no data corruption; for backups art with me; thy UPS and thy status light, they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a firewall before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my CD-R with BurnProof, my buffer never underflows. 6 Surely good deals and pr0n shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the Datacenter for ever.
-HitScan

Wilde is a 4' chinese man in a bright pink tutu, lime green pimp hat with peacock feathers, and a purple feather boa, wearing tissue stuffed snakeskin combat boots, holding a gun bigger than he is, smoking a cigarette in the parking garage, trying to look menacing while pouting and head banging to Godsmack I stand alone
lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In MIDI it's the force with which you hit each key. In keyboards it's mostly measured by timing how long it takes the key to travel down. Hence, velocity Smile
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magus wrote:
Does velocity have some musical meaning of which I'm not aware? I see it and think in physics terms... Smile

What Lewis said.

Oh, and Postcount++

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, OW, I've tacked a bit more onto this, but I can't for the life of me come up with a decent melody. I'm fiddling with it, but nothing satisfactory as yet.

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... got some simple melody to add to that. I'll try to do some rough recordings for you tonight or this week for you. The thing is, there is so much going on, that adding single note melody may just make things more messy. Which is why I'm figuring out how I'm going to mix my guitar into your track properly before I do any recordings. I need to have a rough idea in my head of how the melody I have in mind is going to fit where and how.

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!

If you've got GarageBand 2, I can host the original file. Smile I'll also work at turning it into a more song-like arrangement -- that is, moving toward a more ABAB structure rather than the present AAABstop. Razz

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Garage Band 2, but the drivers for my Line 6 PodXT with GB2 has created latency so I haven't recorded anything with GB in a while. However, I'll give it a try with the software emulators in GB2.

lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So monitor through the Pod not through the Mac. GarageBand lets you mute the channel you're recording on whilst recording but still recording what it's not playing through because you're monitoring it externally... right? Smile
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewis wrote:
So monitor through the Pod not through the Mac. GarageBand lets you mute the channel you're recording on whilst recording but still recording what it's not playing through because you're monitoring it externally... right? Smile

Dood, i already monitor through the Pod; but it's only when recording do I get a slight delay between what's on the drive and what I hear. Really odd. It seems to be a known problem with GB2 and Pod's current drivers. The old GB had no problems what so ever, even if I didn't monitor through the Pod. The other problem is that I need to update the firmware on my PodXT but I before I can use the USB cable I need to update my old firmware using a MIDI cable which I lost. Sad After a certain firmware version I can use USB to update, however till I get that firmware on my PodXT, I can't do nothing.

Wow, beer gets me drunk a lot faster then I thought it would. Beer suck!

lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butbut... what? If you play and you don't hear yourself coming out of GarageBand, only from the like headphone jack on the Pod or something how can there be a problem?
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewis wrote:
Butbut... what? If you play and you don't hear yourself coming out of GarageBand, only from the like headphone jack on the Pod or something how can there be a problem?

Maybe I should explain the setup better. According to the engineers at Line6, the ideal setup should be to hook the PodXT via USB to the computer, and which then shows up as a sound card. Then setup ALL audio to pipe through to the Line6, so audio in and out is the PodXT itself.
Then in GB I turn of monitor. The PodXT has 'chan vol' and 'output'. 'Output' is the overall volume the PodXT is outputting to my speakers: PodXT does do audio left and right. The 'chan vol' is what I use to control the volume of my guitar that I can hear through the speakers, and obviously the level the guitar gets recorded in GB.

However, along comes GB 2.0 with this same setup and *boom*, latency. Remember, I didn't have this problem with GB 1.0. And hell, even when I had my Mac do all the audio processing, including monitor, while my PodXT was purely audio in (even USB audio in), I had no problem. It really is a GB 2.0 + Line6 driver issue.

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what, reading these threads on Line 6, I think I remember the problem not being part of GB 2.0, but Tiger itself. I can't remember. I think that's why I got GB 2.0 in hopes of getting the problem solved.

Latency Issue with PodXT and GB
Tiger compatibility

I'd read the first thread, but both are really old, and it seems like there is yet no solution beyond just using the the analog out of the PodXT to the line in of the mac to record. Which is a shame really.

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with just using the analog out? That's what I do with my GT-5. Razz

lewis
new in box
Captain
Captain

uk.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds really broken.
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:
What's wrong with just using the analog out? That's what I do with my GT-5. Razz

Cause of how the PodXT works and allows you to work with it. The best analogy is to think of those SLR Digital Cameras that can take RAW pictures, but instead you set the camera to take JPEG pictures and take them to your favorite photo app, convert the JPEG to RAW work on it, and then when you're done, covert it back to JPEG. Same thing with the PodXT, where instead of the PodXT coverting the digital processed data to analog, then hooking up to my laptop which converts the analog data back to digital (for editing purposes, etc.,) and then I down sample everything AGAIN during the mix. With the PodXT via USB, i can bypass the initial digital to analog stage retain the original digitally processed audio data. Less multisampling and conversion keeps things somewhat clean.

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lewis wrote:
That sounds really broken.

Yep, and it pisses me off big time. Mad I got into the habit of recording tracks often and getting comfortable with multitrack recording. However, since Tiger I haven't done much cause the latency issue is driving me nuts. I used soundtrack and another pro-audio app my friend lent to me, and the problem then is that the PodXT driver doesn't work for a while and then it starts to work, but then I only get stereo recording, but an inability to monitor and hear the background tracks. *sigh* I didn't have this much problem before Tiger. I know Apple apparently changed it's core audio stuff, but after all the time that's passed, it's just lame. Crying or Very sad

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way Twinky, I'll record with my PodXT audio out instead of my USB. So go ahead and host the files if you like. I want to record some stuff and I'm not going to wait for Line6 to solve the problems. Would be ironic if tomorrow when I wake up Line6 releases new drivers that works with Tiger.

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Smile Just got to work, so it'll have to wait until I get home.

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely forgot about this. Not sure why. Anyway, here is the current GarageBand project. Smile Be warned, it's nearly 60MB.

I look forward to hearing your stuff! Very Happy

the twinkster
Gorram Alliance
Captain
Captain

dreetha.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also, my two attempts at tinkering with a lead track are included. Feel free to just mute them. Smile

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:
I completely forgot about this. Not sure why. Anyway, here is the current GarageBand project. Smile Be warned, it's nearly 60MB.

I look forward to hearing your stuff! Very Happy

The link doesn't work for me. If I control click and try to download, I get told the file doesn't exist. 60MB won't be a problem since your server is so fast and I have a 6Mbps DSL line, so it won't take to long. And IIRC, the server you use is based in HK, so that's even better, and it saturated my bandwidth.

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the twinkster wrote:
Oh, also, my two attempts at tinkering with a lead track are included. Feel free to just mute them. Smile

I'll be sure to hear them first off course, see what you were trying to aim for, and see if I can work with them too. If not, I'll just make up my own stuff. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: