Pegasus3d.com Forum Index Pegasus3d.com
Discussions on multiple topics, open to all

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pegasus3d.com Main Page Pegasus Launchpad Jeremy's Personal Page OSY

Update on my signature... ooohhhh... all of you must click!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OscarWilde
Unbearable Bliss of Ignorance
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Update on my signature... ooohhhh... all of you must click! Reply with quote

I was reading 'Immortality' by Milan Kundera, but I wasn't in the mood for philosophy dressed in mystical fantasy. So I switched to something brain dead like Clive Cussler's* 'Valhalla Rising'.

Anywhooo... before I switched gears from intellectualism to brain dead reading, I remember some phrases from 'Immortality'. One, which I decided to use in my signature here. Here it is again with more of the prior and proceeding passages:

'What name to give to this attitude? Cowardice? No. Cowards are afraid of dying and will fight to survive. Nobility? Undoubtedly, if he had acted out of regard for his fellows.
'... What was it then? She couldn't say. Only one thing seemed certain: on a sinking ship where it was necessary to fight in order to board a lifeboat, Father would have been condemned in advance.
'...Yes. That much was certain. The question that arises is this: had Father hated the people on the ship...
'No... Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary. ...it was precisely this kind of intimacy that Father found repugnant. The melee on the ship filled him with such disgust that he preferred to drown. The physical contact with people who struck and trampled and killed one another seemed far worse to him then solitary death in the purity of the waters.
'...and in its place a phrase came into her mind: I cannot hate them because nothing binds me to them; I have nothing in common with them.'
- Chapter 5, Immortality, by Milan Kundera

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an great quote and a terrific philosophical observation.

Hey OW, ever read, "Dune Messiah"? It's full of stuff like that. I had a desk calendar in college, the kind that was large and covered most of the desk, and as I read the Herbert book I would write quotes on my calendar. By the end of November you could barely see the dates on the calendar!

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FondueDaredevil wrote:

Hey OW, ever read, "Dune Messiah"? It's full of stuff like that. I had a desk calendar in college, the kind that was large and covered most of the desk, and as I read the Herbert book I would write quotes on my calendar. By the end of November you could barely see the dates on the calendar!

Nope, never read that book. Is 'Dune Messiah' part of the Dune series?

'Hate traps us by binding us too tightly to our adversary.' - Milan Kundera (Immortality)
FondueDaredevil
Linux Looney
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: My name is Elmer J Fudd, millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OscarWilde wrote:
FondueDaredevil wrote:

Yup! The first two books are pretty good, but for me Dune Messiah falls into my top ten sci fi novels of all time.

"I call on those who question the motives of the president and his national security advisers to join with the rest of America in presenting a united front to our enemies abroad." Sen. Dick Durbin, 1998

"There's no set architecture in Linux. All roads lead to madness" - William Hilf, Microsoft homonculous

Supervillains for Linux!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot my footnote regarding Clive Cussler. As many of you probably know by now, Clive Cussler's book, Sahara, has been made into a movie.
Now, if you've read Cussler's books, you probably know that his books are the epitome of formulaic writing. His story arcs are exactly the same. Dirk Pitt always gets righteously pissed off at the bad guys and is going to dish out some ass kicking. And also, if you ever want to know about 'Dues Ex-Machina', basically every time Dirk Pitt and gang get out of some sticky situation, it defines the latin (or is it greek?) phrase.

None the less, his books are a fun breezy read. It's contemporary heroic romanticism. Much like JRR Tolkein's LOTR, where the good guys are amazingly god like when they stand tall and stare out into the distance with their deep penetrating eyes, and you feel goose bumps and a touch of homo-erotic desires for the leading male characters. And don't tell me LOTR is not heroic romanticism. Even Tolkein says his books can be read as that type of genre if one neglects the 'history' he has behind the story.

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FondueDaredevil wrote:
OscarWilde wrote:
FondueDaredevil wrote:

Yup! The first two books are pretty good, but for me Dune Messiah falls into my top ten sci fi novels of all time.

I shall check the books out then. The coming weeks I'll be trying to get my hands on a paper back version of Crichton's latest novel, 'State of Fear', finish reading 'Immortality' (as I don't like to not finish books as it's a bad habit I don't want to develop). Off course there is the new Potter book, which comes out in the first week of July. Maybe in between I'll read the Dune series. Hmmm....

OscarWilde
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

hong_kong.gif
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i'm reading Dune at the moment. Then I shall get Dune Messiah and read that when I'm done reading Dune.
You will get to read my opinion of Dune in a few days. How smammy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pegasus3d.com Forum Index -> OSY All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: